Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 PM

78,860 posts, read 47,107,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
His shows the average salary for NJ. Not this particular teacher.

That's the problem. We are discussing based on this PDF from the Rutherford, New Jersey Board of Education — it looks like Ms. Wilson makes a salary of $86,389.
Read more at the Washington Examiner: NJ Teacher who complained to Gov. Chris Christie she deserved $83k actually makes $86k | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/nj-teacher-who-complained-to-gov-chris-christie-that-she-wasnt-paid-83k-she-deserved-actually-makes-86k-94951164.html#ixzz0piPx7mO4 - broken link)

The whole reason for this topic. The discussion that brought light to this Union issue and how Teachers unions no longer have any creditability.

Quit with the diversions and stay on topic.
This loud mouth over privileged teach is the start of the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,666,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
In my NJ county, a grammar school teacher with 20 years and masters makes $110k and has great benefits for life. Also, there are many, many, many teachers that have political favor jobs. They're administrators doing clerical work because they campaigne for their local machine. Work that should be done by non-union workers for 30k. For this, our taxes are sky high and seniors are losing their homes.

I heard some crazy stats the other day. The average NJ teacher retires at age 49, goes on to receive $3M in pensions and half a million in health benefits.
Jeez. None of the teachers in my family make anything like that. Of course they don't belong to unions. I'm telling to move to Jersey. At least they will get more money for doing the same thing and dealing with the same crap.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 PM

38,833 posts, read 26,691,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
If you want to fix the problem allow people who have kids... School choice and if they send their kids to private school or homeschooling to not pay school tax they can use that money to funded their kids education. :-)
That should fix that issue and create a balanced market schooling at a reasonable price. Or even allow for a tax credit in school supplies of which will allow people to keep more of their earned money which will help their children get an education.

Really the idea that a government job should give you more then any other business or market is insane. I dont think a benefit should be given because you work for the government in fact being that you are dealing with other peoples money via taxes you should realize the waste.

People who have kids are only part of those forced to fund the worst education system in the industrialized world. I have no kids of my own but am still forced to pay all sorts of taxes that are diverted to lazy and uninspired NEA members who couldn't care less about the children in their charge. I say give every child a voucher for the exact amount being spent on them now and let the public flunky academies compete for students.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,504,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
People who have kids are only part of those forced to fund the worst education system in the industrialized world. I have no kids of my own but am still forced to pay all sorts of taxes that are diverted to lazy and uninspired NEA members who couldn't care less about the children in their charge. I say give every child a voucher for the exact amount being spent on them now and let the public flunky academies compete for students.
I agree with you.

I had to pay for one of the worst (and well known) school districts in NJ through my property taxes before I had kids (and still do b/c now that I have children, they will never set one foot in our public school district) , just like my siblings do now and just like my parents did (who didn't send their kids to public school). It's a township school-system thing, not an "I hate public school" thing.

I almost fell out of my car driving by the brand new (Abbot school) New Brunswick HS the other day. It's not in my district but New Brunswick managed to shove it up up the behind of the town I do live in...safer to bus the thugs as far out of New Brunswick as the NB PTB can than have them walk to and from school and hang out after school. And the extra bussing...who has to pay for that?

It's a school for the record books...it's beautiful and HUGE....and all on the tax payers dime b/c bigger and better and more expensive is going to change those Bloods, Crips or M13's into choir boys and girls and stop 12 year olds from getting pregnant and stop illegals from demanding ESL for their illegal kids. Or maybe they'll all get a clue and straighten the hell up and end up in the Peace Corps...because they will appreciate their very expensive environment and take advantage of all it has to offer....

I'm sure there is more than one "safe room" for teachers on each and every floor of the school when the inmates get out of control.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,966,608 times
why is it the unions are always seen as the bad guys in america, teaching is a high stress hostile at times dangerous job with high education requirements. how much you think somebody like that should get paid.??? the public hatred of well paid cops teachers and social workers is numbing.
its worse when they retire. these people deal with our dirty laundry folks.
please pay them.
american labor is anti labor.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-02-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,964,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
See, this is where I get confused. Christie made ALOT of cuts, not only to school aid for towns but other aid in different areas. I got the estimate for my property taxes yesterday in the mail for the third quarter, and its up by 12 percent, 1100 dollar increase for the year. I thought fiscal conservatives where all about lower taxes and less spending. All I see is my town closing 2 schools, closing parks and my taxes going up 1100 a year. My town is a die hard republican town, it's been run by conservatives for the past 20 years, so its not like the dems ran it to the ground. So again why are my services decreasing and my taxes going up?
Maybe you live near where I grew up. Sounds just like Sussex County to me! Most of my friends there are republicans who strongly supported Christie, but not anymore. Their taxes are going up to make up for the lack of state funding, well established schools are closing, bus routes are a mess and crossing guards have been eliminated creating a safety issue and a traffic nightmare. The notoriously stellar schools are the bread and butter of these small towns and property values are likely to fall if the reputation of the schools falter. It all sounded good while he was campaigning, but the results of his actions have created consequences that were not fully appreciated beforehand. I have a strong feeling that Christie may continue to be popular with republicans, but his support from Jersey republicans is going to wear off fast.

And it's not just teachers' benefits and pensions he's going after as I'm sure you're aware. It's police officers and firefighters too. Somehow, that 's basically being overlooked by those who have jumped on the anti-teacher bandwagon. I believe the Jersey police have filed suit against Christie.

It seems that not all that glitters is gold.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,118,963 times
Look at this new $180M NJ school in a slum...

Union City High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,118,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Maybe you live near where I grew up. Sounds just like Sussex County to me! Most of my friends there are republicans who strongly supported Christie, but not anymore. Their taxes are going up to make up for the lack of state funding, well established schools are closing, bus routes are a mess and crossing guards have been eliminated creating a safety issue and a traffic nightmare. The notoriously stellar schools are the bread and butter of these small towns and property values are likely to fall if the reputation of the schools falter. It all sounded good while he was campaigning, but the results of his actions have created consequences that were not fully appreciated beforehand. I have a strong feeling that Christie may continue to be popular with republicans, but his support from Jersey republicans is going to wear off fast.

And it's not just teachers' benefits and pensions he's going after as I'm sure you're aware. It's police officers and firefighters too. Somehow, that 's basically being overlooked by those who have jumped on the anti-teacher bandwagon. I believe the Jersey police have filed suit against Christie.

It seems that not all that glitters is gold.
Yeah, I say that to all my Dem friends too. When I'm with my republican friends, we are all giddy to say the least...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,504,478 times
[quote=songgirl;14449525]Maybe you live near where I grew up. Sounds just like Sussex County to me! Most of my friends there are republicans who strongly supported Christie, but not anymore. Their taxes are going up to make up for the lack of state funding,[quote]

Which is the fault of the town councils who support ridiculous school budgets and district BOE's. Not Christie. His point is to make school districts accountable for themselves, for once, instead of putting up ridiculous budgets year after year which also increase taxes.

Quote:
... well established schools are closing,
That's a shame. Which ones are folding due to lack of federal funding?

Quote:
....bus routes are a mess and crossing guards have been eliminated creating a safety issue and a traffic nightmare.
Drive or walk your kid to school. Issue eliminated. Why should tax payers have to pay for someone to watch your kid walk to school? I don't have that luxury so my little violin is playing...

Quote:
The notoriously stellar schools are the bread and butter of these small towns and property values are likely to fall if the reputation of the schools falter.
Welcome to reality. I highly doubt not having crossing guards or being in heated negotiations for bussing is going to change the curriculum of the schools.

Quote:
I have a strong feeling that Christie may continue to be popular with republicans, but his support from Jersey republicans is going to wear off fast.
His popularity is just going to get stronger.

Quote:
Going after?

If you go into a field for a "pension"...who are you (no you specifically, you in general) thinking you're better than? The person who didn't ride the pension train?

Last edited by JerseyG; 06-03-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 AM

631 posts, read 724,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That's the problem. We are discussing based on this PDF from the Rutherford, New Jersey Board of Education — it looks like Ms. Wilson makes a salary of $86,389.
Read more at the Washington Examiner: NJ Teacher who complained to Gov. Chris Christie she deserved $83k actually makes $86k | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/nj-teacher-who-complained-to-gov-chris-christie-that-she-wasnt-paid-83k-she-deserved-actually-makes-86k-94951164.html#ixzz0piPx7mO4 - broken link)

The whole reason for this topic. The discussion that brought light to this Union issue and how Teachers unions no longer have any creditability.

Quit with the diversions and stay on topic.
This loud mouth over privileged teach is the start of the engine.

How am I diverting? You use one example of one teacher, I have links of the average salary for teachers in NJ. The whole reason for this topic isnt that one teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies