Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Riiight.
Use a foreign prison to hold American citizens.
That would go over well...NOT.

The story is ridiculous.
GITMO is located on an old naval base that belongs to the United States. The land area abutting it may belong to Cuba but Guantanamo Bay has belonged to the US since the early 20th century. Go ahead and talk to other liberals about it being foreign territory if you can find any of them who don't know about things like that. I am not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Are you referring to the part where legislation passed by Congress becomes law automatically after 10 calendar days (excluding Sundays) while Congress is in session? No Presidential signature is required.

Or were you referring to the part where it says both houses of Congress must pass the legislation before a bill can become law? Something this bill failed to do in the 110th Session of Congress.
I see that you failed to see anything in Article 1, Section 7, Clause 2 other than what you could accept and I don't blame you at all for that but you surely failed to read the whole thing. Don't be afraid to read the whole thing and then lets discuss it.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Presidents do not enact laws, Congress does. It was neither Bush's nor Obama's law since IT NEVER BECAME LAW!

Basic Civics 101: Legislation must be passed by BOTH Houses of Congress to become law. See Article I, Section 7, Clause 2 of the US Constitution. The bill passed the House in the 110th Congress, but never even made it to the floor of the Senate for a vote. As soon as the 110th Session ended, all bills introduced during that session that did not pass both Houses of Congress died.

There was never any problems with the links posted. The problem was comprehending that bills not passed by both Houses of Congress in prior Sessions do not carry forward to the next Session unless they are reintroduced. This bill has not been reintroduced in the 111th Session of Congress. Hence, the bill has ceased to exist.
Is it possible that Nasty Nancy could still re-introduce this bill in the last 7 months of the 111th Congress? I say it is very possible since she loves numbers like that vote that was mentioned as 404 - 6. That makes me wonder if it was a Bush supported bill since the partisan split in the House was in effect in 2007. Hmmmm, it looks like a high number of Representatives must have believed in that piece of cow poop. I think she will try to pass it anytime and come after people like me. I look forward to them trying that little movement. They will have to stop the manufacture of ammunition before they attempt it, however. I own no firearms, at all, but my son does keep his long barreled 12 gauge at my house and it would be very effective against the black helicopters and anybody in them. Send them in.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Concentration camps. Just ask the millions of Japanese,Italian and German people that were Americans and were locked up during ww2.
Now I am not saying anything against your reference to those civilians, although I sure didn't know anything about the Italians and Germans and I was 13 when WW II ended so I should have known.

However, I think it might be good for you to talk to some of the German POWs who were kept inside our borders. Some of them actually married American girls in order to get back to the areas they were "kept" in. I can provide you with some really great stories about some of them who moved back to the area they were "kept" in.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
What part of "it is not law" did you not understand? The bill died in committee two years ago and was never reintroduced.
Would this death you keep talking about be like the attempt at immigration reform that Juan McCain and Teddy Kennedy rammed through the Senate in 2006. Yep, they got it done and with the blessing with Georgio Bush. However, the House had already made their attempt earlier and they refused to even consider the Senate bill. Republicans controlled both houses back then and unlike now, the Speaker wasn't so worried about creating new voters from among the newly amnestied illegals.

Well, anyway, to make a long story short, I am certain that what happened then won't happen this time around with the Dems in control in both houses. BTW, the vote in the Senate was 44 Dems and 33 Republicans for the bill. Harry Reid told his minions to vote for it knowing that only 7 GOP votes would do the trick.

Every time I hear a politician talk about comprehensive immigration reform I realize that they mean amnesty covered with all that other crap. They amnestied several million illegals in 1986 and never enforced any other part of the bill. They will do that very thing again this year, especially if the GOP wins control of either house this fall. With nearly 60 days between the election day and the new Congress they will work it out. Repeal could come but I doubt that would happen.

I will someday type the whole Clause 2 of Section 7 Article 1 to you so you can know what all it says since you don't seem to have read all of it yet.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
GITMO is located on an old naval base that belongs to the United States. The land area abutting it may belong to Cuba but Guantanamo Bay has belonged to the US since the early 20th century. Go ahead and talk to other liberals about it being foreign territory if you can find any of them who don't know about things like that. I am not one of them.
Actually, GITMO is foreign territory. The Platt Amendment of 1901 to the Army Appropriations Act stipulated the conditions for the withdrawal of United States troops remaining in Cuba. The Amendment ensured US involvement in Cuban affairs, both foreign and domestic, and gave legal standing to US claims to certain economic and military territories on the island including Guantánamo Bay Naval Base.

The Cuban-American Treaty of 1903 stipulates that Cuba will perpetually lease to the US the Guantánamo Bay area (surrounding areas of land and water) for the purpose of coaling and naval stations.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM

631 posts, read 720,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post

Hugo Chavez told me Obama kills puppies in front of Malia and Sasha. I totally believe him

Old 06-04-2010, 01:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is it possible that Nasty Nancy could still re-introduce this bill in the last 7 months of the 111th Congress? I say it is very possible since she loves numbers like that vote that was mentioned as 404 - 6. That makes me wonder if it was a Bush supported bill since the partisan split in the House was in effect in 2007. Hmmmm, it looks like a high number of Representatives must have believed in that piece of cow poop. I think she will try to pass it anytime and come after people like me. I look forward to them trying that little movement. They will have to stop the manufacture of ammunition before they attempt it, however. I own no firearms, at all, but my son does keep his long barreled 12 gauge at my house and it would be very effective against the black helicopters and anybody in them. Send them in.
Any House Representative can reintroduce any bill that fails to pass prior Sessions of Congress. But the reality is that nobody has, yet. Until someone does, why get your knickers in a twist over nothing? At least wait to see if the bill is reintroduced before flying off the handle.

It is common for bills passed in the House to be shelved in the Senate. The Senate is not nearly as radical as the House. As I pointed out before, only approximately 1 out of 20 bills introduced in the House become law. So even if it is reintroduced and passed by the House again, there is no reason to believe that it will not be killed in the Senate like in the previous Session of Congress.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
What part of "it is not law" did you not understand? The bill died in committee two years ago and was never reintroduced.

What part of manners and computer etiquette don't you understand? looks to me as if it's zero understanding. I was replying because someone had made a statement that said this bill was brought up in debate with the Obama administration which is currently running things...my bad king of all city-data knowledge and hall monitor over every thing that is said on this thread.

p.s. something doesn't have to be law yet to be worried that they are thinking of bringing it up into law.....the thought of a law like this even being talked about is what scares me

Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Wow. Someone posts wild, unsubstantiated claims and lies from an old bill that was never passed and has nothing to with current legislation - and we get seven pages of great IQ specimens arguing that it somehow does. This forum is great! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies