Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is a shame the "green people" pushed drilling to the ocean. On land there is a containment barrier around the wells.

Yes, we have to drill.
No one has pushed drilling to the ocean. Oil companies are drilling there because there are large, untapped reservoirs of oil in the deep water, and there is money to be made. The biggest reservoirs inland and in shallow waters have already been exploited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM

631 posts, read 719,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapoutofit View Post

Maybe if the enviro nutbags allowed drilling in places other than 5000 feet of water disasters could be averted.

Here's one in 160 feet of water that we couldn't plug for 10 months. We used almost the exact same methods. Instead of "Top Hat", they actually called it a "sombrero". I suggest do you some more reading on off shore drilling.

Ixtoc I oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
No one has pushed drilling to the ocean. Oil companies are drilling there because there are large, untapped reservoirs of oil in the deep water, and there is money to be made. The biggest reservoirs inland and in shallow waters have already been exploited.
I disagree. There is vast oil underground. The government will not give permits.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Here I am!!!

Off Shore Drilling rules! "Drill Baby Drill!" (and to boot, I live on the gulf coast)

Lets just stop everything that has risk involved, like fueling up your cars. Several thousands of people get hurt from autos so lets stop making cars!! Some people have accidents with 120 VAC electricity so, lets stop all electrical power from entering our homes, there’s risk involved there too! What about the risk of surgery??? You could die if there's a problem there, NO MORE SURGERY FOR YOU!!!

If you're in it for a million your in it for a buck! Stop being hypocrites!

(Stop drilling, you green earth loving folks have no idea what it takes to sustain a nation, without these oil companies doing their jobs you/we would be shoveling crap in a third world country and if that's okay with you pack your bags, there's plenty to go to. But remember don't take a bus or plane, they run on fuel the oil companies pumped from the earth)
I tried to rep you but I have to spread the wealth.

Drill baby drill! and Stop the hypocrisy! Unless you only walk or ride a bike to get from place to place, unless you research EVERY product you purchase and ONLY purchase those not made with ANY form of oil byproduct, you are no better a person for stating your hatred for oil companies and their methods of providing YOU that car, SUV, truck, boat, gas-powered golf cart, airplane, four-wheeler, lawn mower, weed eater, snow blower, chain saw, train, reuseable water bottle, reuseable grocery bag, computer, TV, remote, video game, Ipod, phone, eye glasses, breifcase, make-up...okay, I don't have enough room to list all the things in your life which has an influence from oil.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yes, I will patiently wait for you to illustrate how we will continue to make these products with windmills and solar panels...............................
Products Made From Oil

Clothing Ink
Heart Valves
Crayons
Parachutes
Telephones
Enamel
Transparent tape
Antiseptics
Vacuum bottles
Deodorant
Pantyhose
Rubbing Alcohol
Carpets
Epoxy paint
Oil filters
Upholstery
Hearing Aids
Car sound insulation
Cassettes
Motorcycle helmets
Pillows
Shower doors
Shoes
Refrigerator linings
Electrical tape
Safety glass
Awnings
Salad bowl
Rubber cement
Nylon rope
Ice buckets
Fertilizers
Hair coloring
Toilet seats
Denture adhesive
Loudspeakers
Movie film
Fishing boots
Candles
Water pipes
Car enamel
Shower curtains
Credit cards
Aspirin
Golf balls
Detergents
Sunglasses
Glue
Fishing rods
Linoleum
Plastic wood
Soft contact lenses
Trash bags
Hand lotion
Shampoo
Shaving cream
Footballs
Paint brushes
Balloons
Fan belts
Umbrellas
Paint Rollers
Luggage
Antifreeze

Model cars
Floor wax
Sports car bodies
Tires
Dishwashing liquids
Unbreakable dishes
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Combs
Tents
Hair curlers
Lipstick
Ice cube trays
Electric blankets
Tennis rackets
Drinking cups
House paint
Rollerskates wheels
Guitar strings
Ammonia
Eyeglasses
Ice chests
Life jackets
TV cabinets
Car battery cases
Insect repellent
Refrigerants
Typewriter ribbons
Cold cream
Glycerin
Plywood adhesive
Cameras
Anesthetics
Artificial turf
Artificial Limbs
Bandages
Dentures
Mops
Beach Umbrellas
Ballpoint pens
Boats
Nail polish
Golf bags
Caulking
Tape recorders
Curtains
Vitamin capsules
Dashboards
Putty
Percolators
Skis
Insecticides
Fishing lures
Perfumes
Shoe polish
Petroleum jelly
Faucet washers
Food preservatives
Antihistamines
Cortisone
Dyes
LP records
Solvents
Roofing
Obviously you were more versed in your response than I was. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
they are building windmills. losing foreign oil dependence is good. send OPEC back to camel riding. btw department of energy and chervron lied. gas price is very sensitive to consumption the recession proved it. use less gas, starve OPEC. in the words of ex director of CIA tenet, stop making our enemies rich.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they are building windmills. losing foreign oil dependence is good. send OPEC back to camel riding. btw department of energy and chervron lied. gas price is very sensitive to consumption the recession proved it. use less gas, starve OPEC. in the words of ex director of CIA tenet, stop making our enemies rich.
You know it takes oil to build windmills.....right????

Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I don't hear any body calling for more off-shore drilling any more. Why don't Sarah and McCain continue to call for more off-shore drilling????
She is. She has been saying that we need more, but that we need the drillers to actually be responsable for doing it right.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I don't hear any body calling for more off-shore drilling any more. Why don't Sarah and McCain continue to call for more off-shore drilling????
Would you rather us go back to using whale oil?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
She is. She has been saying that we need more, but that we need the drillers to actually be responsable for doing it right.
That is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies