Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:02 PM

329 posts, read 201,932 times

Advertisements

If anybody wonders why Cali is going bust here is a perfect exhibit of stupidity at taxpayer cost of course.

"Money may not grow on trees, but it sure cost taxpayers a bundle to move a bush that was found growing in the path of the Doyle Drive rebuild.
Not just any bush - this was the Franciscan manzanita, a city native that was thought for 60 years to be extinct until the bush was spotted late last year.

With the final bills in, the cost of moving the bush in January came to $175,000 - $140,000 to dig up and move the shrub, and $35,000 for "support" services from geological, botanical and climate experts in preparation for its new home in the Presidio less than a mile away.

The discovery of the 8-inch-tall, 20-foot-wide bush was greeted with cries of joy by nature enthusiasts but quiet shock by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, which suddenly found a leafy version of the spotted owl right in the path of a billion-dollar roadway.

"We took this very seriously," said San Francisco County Transportation Authority head José Luis Moscovich.
No kidding.

Not only did the
authority spend a small fortune preserving the manzanita, it moved the plant to its new secret home under cover of darkness out of fear that plant buffs might stalk it for cuttings.

It now sits in a gulch under a canopy, where the care continues.

"We think of it as an act of love," Moscovich said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM

683 posts, read 428,919 times
It's stories like this that remind me why I don't feel one bit sorry for the people of California and their budget problems.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Good Lord!!! Is this a joke??? Well heck, I've got a pecan tree that I need transplanted to the front, can I get the city to do it for me? What a WASTE of taxpayers money. Ahhh, good 'ol California politics at work again

Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
As a sanctuary city, you'd think they could get a better price.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
That isnt even funny. Glad I'm not paying for it lol

Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldTheBeans View Post
If anybody wonders why Cali is going bust here is a perfect exhibit of stupidity at taxpayer cost of course.

"Money may not grow on trees, but it sure cost taxpayers a bundle to move a bush that was found growing in the path of the Doyle Drive rebuild.
Not just any bush - this was the Franciscan manzanita, a city native that was thought for 60 years to be extinct until the bush was spotted late last year.

With the final bills in, the cost of moving the bush in January came to $175,000 - $140,000 to dig up and move the shrub, and $35,000 for "support" services from geological, botanical and climate experts in preparation for its new home in the Presidio less than a mile away.

The discovery of the 8-inch-tall, 20-foot-wide bush was greeted with cries of joy by nature enthusiasts but quiet shock by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, which suddenly found a leafy version of the spotted owl right in the path of a billion-dollar roadway.

"We took this very seriously," said San Francisco County Transportation Authority head José Luis Moscovich.
No kidding.

Not only did the
authority spend a small fortune preserving the manzanita, it moved the plant to its new secret home under cover of darkness out of fear that plant buffs might stalk it for cuttings.

It now sits in a gulch under a canopy, where the care continues.

"We think of it as an act of love," Moscovich said.
[LEFT]
Read more: Moving manzanita bush costs S.F. a small fortune
[/LEFT]
As i've said all along, "Free love for all, no matter the cost, no matter the consequence" has long been the Liberal Mantra.

Liberalism is why California is broke. Liberalism are why this nation is broke.

There never was a more pure example of my estimation than this.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Just one person with a chainsaw and 30 seconds to spare could have saved taxpayers $175k. What a waste.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
"The discovery of the 8-inch-tall, 20-foot-wide bush was greeted with cries of joy by nature enthusiasts but quiet shock by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, which suddenly found a leafy version of the spotted owl right in the path of a billion-dollar roadway."

Read more: Moving manzanita bush costs S.F. a small fortune

and this is why some people choose to live in, and some choose not to live in the Bay Area....

Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Manzanita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Endangered Species Act.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
It's stories like this that remind me why I don't feel one bit sorry for the people of California and their budget problems.
This sort of stupid is quite common in California, even what used to be conservative northern California. All the loons moved up to the northern state and it turned into "San Fran District 1234" (When I say northern, I am talking about north of Sacramento). California is the picture perfect form of stupid. I loved the location, but stupid people make living in perfect conditions unbearable so I moved out of state. At this point, I don't care if that worthless state falls off into the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies