Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 PM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times

Advertisements

Conservatives are always preaching:
"When rich people do good, they create more jobs and the benefits trickle down"

It's obvious that internet has increased the productivity of all US companies.
Now companies using the internet can browse several competitors catalogs, make international calls using Skype, share information with thousands of workers around the World through email or servers, etc, etc.

Why didn't that "internet economic boost" trickle down to the average American man?

The Internet Economy: the World's Next Growth Engine - Businessweek.com

Now, the global economy has speeded up to Internet time. A computer manufacturer running low on chips can have a new batch delivered from half a world away without lifting a finger because a supplier's computers detected the shortage automatically. A new bit of audio software can propagate by the millions in a week. Knowledge of every sort becomes available and useful much sooner. By itself, that increases the pace of global growth and boosts efficiency. A recent study from Giga Information Group Inc. argues that the cost savings globally through business use of e-commerce will rise from from $17 billion in 1998 to $1.25 trillion in 2002, with U.S. companies reaping half the long-term benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
The mere fact you are posting this is a benefit.

I know don;t know what the numbers are for those involved with making the WWW go round but it's staggering amount of people. I myself have benefited from it financially with my own sites and business and continue to do so but I seized the opportunity instead of sitting on my ass waiting for someone to hand me something.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 PM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I seized the opportunity instead of sitting on my ass waiting for someone to hand me something.
Conservatives are the ones that claim "Higher profits = higher wages for the middle class"

Without a doubt, internet has increased the profits of all companies in the US
Why hasn't the middle class benefitted from that?
or is their theory a made up fantasy?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,722,751 times
It has "trickled down" to the average American man (and woman too!). Just think of all the products the internet has made possible or at least their explosion possible. Computer, iphones, ipods, internet content the list could go on for pages. Entire industries that employ millions of people have sprouted up due to the internet. Those chips that can be ordered at the push of a button are ordered a lot more frequently because of the internet.

This does not even take into account all the entrepeneurs the internet has created. Businesses start up much more easily if a brick and morter location isn't neccessary.

Don't forget how much money consumers can save ordering via the internet. Since I have had my kindle I have bought twice as many books as I normally would at half the cost.

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-03-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM

683 posts, read 427,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Conservatives are the ones that claim "Higher profits = higher wages for the middle class"

Millions of middle class Americans are working right now in positions that are directly related to or dependent on the internet and the money it makes.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,653,889 times
Same reason that economic stimulus packages end up being a flop.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,499,230 times
Quote:

Now companies using the internet can browse several competitors catalogs, make international calls using Skype, share information with thousands of workers around the World through email or servers, etc, etc.

Why didn't that "internet economic boost" trickle down to the average American man?

Now, the global economy has speeded up to Internet time. A computer manufacturer running low on chips can have a new batch delivered from half a world away without lifting a finger because a supplier's computers detected the shortage automatically. A new bit of audio software can propagate by the millions in a week. Knowledge of every sort becomes available and useful much sooner. By itself, that increases the pace of global growth and boosts efficiency. A recent study from Giga Information Group Inc. argues that the cost savings globally through business use of e-commerce will rise from from $17 billion in 1998 to $1.25 trillion in 2002, with U.S. companies reaping half the long-term benefits.
Al Gore takes credit for creating it. And it really got going under Bill Clinton.

BLAME THEM

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Can conservatives explain why the "internet economic boost" never trickled down?
It did... do you have any idea how many jobs the internet is responsible for, or lack of jobs as the case my be? Lets not even discuss the fact that its turned normal everyday individuals into millionaires.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:

The flaw in your argument is that higher demand for labor = higher wages, not higher profit. Since the internet is a reduction of costs, this reduces demand for labor, thereby lowers the wages upon society..

How many companies have gone out of business due to the internet, putting how many individuals out of work, only to be replaced by computers, and shipping companies? I can tell you first hand that my internet company does 8 figures a year with 2 employees, and a few contract employees who write programs to expand business paid a few hundred a pop. How many retail stores can make such claims?

Your lack of knowledge of supply/demand is obvious..

Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM

90 posts, read 87,199 times
Quote:

Absolutely. There are many thousands of Internet Merchants that earn a living doing so. Plus, companies that provide infrastructure such as Go Daddy, hire people, as does other entities involved in the market.

If you are waiting for life to "trickle down" to you, you might as well fall on your keyboard and end your misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies