Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times

Advertisements

Cuba travel gets new look, but ban stays - CNN.com

I oppose any restriction on travel to Cuba by americans. But at least when it was forbidden for all,it was "equality". First obama opened travel up to those of cuban heritage to travel there, meaning the government made a distinction based upon national origin which would get a strict scrutiny test in an equal protection challenge to it if it ever occured. Do you think it would survive strict scrutiny?How would it be narrowly taylored to a vital government interest to allow cuban americans to travel but not Italian americans???

This latest "liberalization" isn't really that much of an improvement. Why doesn't he just life the ban and get rid of the discriminatory system we have now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:50 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Cuba travel gets new look, but ban stays - CNN.com

I oppose any restriction on travel to Cuba by americans. But at least when it was forbidden for all,it was "equality". First obama opened travel up to those of cuban heritage to travel there, meaning the government made a distinction based upon national origin which would get a strict scrutiny test in an equal protection challenge to it if it ever occured. Do you think it would survive strict scrutiny?How would it be narrowly taylored to a vital government interest to allow cuban americans to travel but not Italian americans???

This latest "liberalization" isn't really that much of an improvement. Why doesn't he just life the ban and get rid of the discriminatory system we have now?
I agree. Get rid of the ban. You want to change Cuba? Flood it with Americans shooting off their mouths about liberty and free enterprise.

Why the half measure? The cynic in me sees it as another Obama half measure. The realist sees it as not wanting to set off the exiles in Miami although I doubt they voted for Obama in the first place.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I agree. Get rid of the ban. You want to change Cuba? Flood it with Americans shooting off their mouths about liberty and free enterprise.

Why the half measure? The cynic in me sees it as another Obama half measure. The realist sees it as not wanting to set off the exiles in Miami although I doubt they voted for Obama in the first place.
The policy that we currently have is unconstitutional letting one ethnic group go, but not others. Banning everyone, thoughg I disagree with it, is perimissible. But the current system is discriminatory..

Imagine if the US didn't let Italian Americans go to Spain or something like that....

Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM

915 posts, read 1,191,064 times
Why are we still not allowed to go there? This isn't 1970 and communism isn't our enemy. Laos is a communist state and yet we are permitted to go there.

I guess it's a good thing for Cuba there are no McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. Better hurry and visit before the floodgates are opened so you can see Cuba the true beauty of Cuba.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Why are we still not allowed to go there? This isn't 1970 and communism isn't our enemy. Laos is a communist state and yet we are permitted to go there.

I guess it's a good thing for Cuba there are no McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. Better hurry and visit before the floodgates are opened so you can see Cuba the true beauty of Cuba.
Heck, I've even been to Vietnam, and we've had a very long war with them..

Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
I think it's time America grew up and realised this isn't the 60s anymore and rescinded a. the preferential "one foot/dry land" policy for Cubans and also b. the ban on travel to Cuba for ALL.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
cubans are not that stupid enough to let others from another country tell them how to live

whats next though, are americans of cuban descent gonna go back and have a land grab thats gonna start major conflicts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies