Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Middle Class Squeeze

A new report prepared for Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Rep. Henry A. Waxman finds that working families have seen their real income drop by almost $1,300 since 2000, while the costs of health insurance, gasoline and home heating, and attending college have increased by almost $5,000 annually.
What would you expect a report prepared for Pelosi and Waxman to say? I can just as easily commission a report to find the exact opposite results. She (and Waxman) want fodder to support their positions. I trust Pelosi only slightly ahead of Kim Jong Il.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Point taken...but in this specific case I think most people can verify the truth of skyrocketing gas, health care, college, home heating costs on their own.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
What would you expect a report prepared for Pelosi and Waxman to say? I can just as easily commission a report to find the exact opposite results. She (and Waxman) want fodder to support their positions. I trust Pelosi only slightly ahead of Kim Jong Il.
Whoa! You trust her that much?!!! Are you mad..., man?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 PM

Errr...Kim's a guy....oh, never mind.....

Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IIRC the medial income in this country is around $50,000. That puts at least half the people in the working class.

Broker - you get an effective interest rate of 25%! Ever hear of usury?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IIRC the medial income in this country is around $50,000. That puts at least half the people in the working class.

Broker - you get an effective interest rate of 25%! Ever hear of usury?

Georgia usury law prohibits loans with interest above 60 percent a year. I'm getting 25%. As I've said before and I'll say again. The rich get that way not by sitting on their ass eating Cheesy Poofs - they get that way by studying the tax laws and business.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 AM

Or by being born with a silver spoon (foot?) in their mouth - like George Dubya.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
Quote:
Or by being born with a silver spoon (foot?) in their mouth - like George Dubya.
HAHAHAH

Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
The middle class can not pay there bills
They have no health insurance. It just goes on with list of problems.
So back to my question, what is considered rich, middle class and poor?
I would say someone that can't pay their bills is not middle class, they would be lower/poor class. Middle class I consider to be having a home in the $225k - 250 price range, making around $50,000+ per year, paying their bills, etc.

In my opinion the rich are never to blame for how anyone else does in life. People just want to always point the finger at someone. But as I once heard before, when you point a finger at someone you have three more on your hand pointed back at you! I think everyone is responsible for their own wealth and creating success.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I thought I had a silver spoon up my a$$ but it turned out to be hemorrhoids! Or a couple of guys on this site! Let's see, I was born to a middle class family, both of my parents worked, my first car was 12 years old by the time I got it and had had 3 previous owners, I was a "D" student in high school, ran around with the wrong crowd, etc. In other words, I had every excuse to sit on my ass and bemoan my situtation and settle for mediocrity. But I knew I could do better, so I did.

I have always contended in my businesses that I would never ask someone to do something I wasn't willing to do. That includes digging ditches, hauling trash, whatever had to be done. But I see a lot of people who gripe about how the rich do this or the rich do that. They want to improve their situation as well but they won't put any effort into it. Most of them hinge their dreams on winning the lottery! As I've said before, God gives every bird his worm, He just doesn't drop it into his nest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies