Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM

75 posts, read 60,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You all can try and draw all the moral equivalencies that you want. The history is what it is. Black people did not come to this country and usurp the land of the indigenous, nearly exterminating them and placing those that survived on reservation, while enslaving another group of people based upon their “race” and a doctrine of racial supremacy…..PERIOD.
Most white people alive today didn't come to this country and usurp the land of the indigenous or enslave another group of people based upon their race.
Period.
Stop blaming people who didn't do anything to anybody for what other people did.

Quote:
There is nothing EVEN STEVEN or offsetting or morally equivalent or even comparable that blacks have inflicted upon white people in this nation or in any lands. You attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar. With all the vinegar white culture and society has spread…..you should not be surprised.
Answer the questions I asked, then. Were you personally enslaved? Do you personally know any white people who enslaved any black people? No?
Then why are you blaming all white people for what a minority did?

Quote:
Its just an attempt to deflect from your own history that you apparently are ashamed or……or you would not become so defensive about people brining it up.
Actually, half of my family came over to this continent after slavery was abolished. My history has nothing to do with slavery or racism. I don't like being blamed for something that I didn't do and was never a part of. Do you? Would you be fine if I called you a savage who lives in a jungle hut? No? Why not? Because you're not? Well, I've never enslaved anyone, nor has my ancestors, so why do you seem content with lumping me in with something I'm not based on the color of my skin?

Quote:
However, I am not bringing it up in hatred or spite....but rather, to EXPLAIN the cause of the black effect. One cannot explain the present without the past.
A past which has nothing to do with the present because the present does not contain most of the people who were involved with that past.

Quote:
Bigotry, prejudice and racism do not ALL MEAN THE SAME THING. There is a distinction with a difference. Many of you don't know the difference and don't care to.
You don't know the difference either. You seem to believe that racism isn't racism because the people you're intolerant of were racist first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
You all can try and draw all the moral equivalencies that you want. The history is what it is. Black people did not come to this country and usurp the land of the indigenous, nearly exterminating them and placing those that survived on reservation, while enslaving another group of people based upon their “race” and a doctrine of racial supremacy…..PERIOD.

There is nothing EVEN STEVEN or offsetting or morally equivalent or even comparable that blacks have inflicted upon white people in this nation or in any lands. You attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar. With all the vinegar white culture and society has spread…..you should not be surprised.

That having been said, the posted accused me of being a bigot. Someone provided a definition that said that racism is Hatred. Thus, based upon this definition, “hatred of another race”, I supposedly meet this definition. Ok…then I am going to clearly call you out on this BS. QUOTE an example of HATRED in anything that I have written. Look up the definition of hatred and see were my words even imply hatred. None of you will do it because you know your claims are strait BS! Its just an attempt to deflect from your own history that you apparently are ashamed or……or you would not become so defensive about people brining it up. However, I am not bringing it up in hatred or spite....but rather, to EXPLAIN the cause of the black effect. One cannot explain the present without the past.

Bigotry, prejudice and racism do not ALL MEAN THE SAME THING. There is a distinction with a difference. Many of you don't know the difference and don't care to.

I think the problem is, you want to place these ideas of bigotry and racism in a historical context that does not fit those of us living and breathing right now in 2010. I am not old enough to remember the civil rights movement though, I am old enough to have lived thru most of the aftermath.

I suspect most of those you are in this discussion with, don’t identify with the kind of people you are speaking about. Yes history matters but history only makes sense when it is placed in proper context.

Suggesting that black prejudice is rooted in the historic racist reality that they lived under for so many years is completely accurate. However, if we are ever to get beyond racism we all will have to get beyond whatever hang-ups brought us to where we are. It doesn’t matter if those inputs were real (in the case of the real racism blacks suffered from) or perceived (the false notions that older generations of whites lived with and used to justify racist behavior).

At some point, we all have to simply put down our perspectives and start accepting each other for who we are and not who our parents were. Blacks own this as much as whites do. At some point, being black is no longer an exemption for the prejudices held.

There is an old standard that black people cannot be racists because they hold no power. At some point that notion must be rejected and all prejudices no matter the cause must be seen as racists and wrong.

I don’t in any way down play the reality of racism that existed or even now exists in America. All I can do is reject racism now from whatever quarter it comes from. And while I will not make any bold claim that I am without my own prejudice (anyone who does is a liar IMHO), I can and do promise to challenge myself when that prejudice raises its head…And to raise my kids better than I was raised where the subject is concerned.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You cannot seperate the present from the past. Its simply illogical.
Did I enslave anybody?
No.
Then why, logically, should I be held in the same regards and be held responsible for people that did before I was born?

By your logic of not separating the past from the present, all black people are savages that live in jungle huts, because in the past, black people were savages that lived in jungle huts.
Disagree with that? Then the past is separated from the present.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Scientists will have to find a new name. Ebony opening? Nope
That sounds kinda naughty, actually.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
from time to time NAACP flexes its muscles just to let us know it is still there. hallmark is one of the few american firms left actually making something in this country.
what NAACP fails to see is when the golden goose is dead, you can no longer shame him. nor demand compensation for the irreverable trauma his comments have inflicted on your person.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
asphalt is also known as "black top" in some areas, that's going to need to be changed.

The word "renege" which is generally used to describe the act of backing out of a contract will need to completely be removed from the english language.

We'll need to kill "tigger" and pooh too just for good measure.

Black and white tvs are ok as long as the color black is named first.

Tylenol will have to repackage all pills now that picking cotton from or out of anything is illegal.

I'll see if i can come up with any more to help out.
roflmao:d:d:d

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
It is illogical when you hold people responsible today for actions they had no control over in the past.

Also, just FYI: The REvolutionary War point was a bad point. THe government today and society today are both vastly different than what it was back then.
You must feel guilt because who is holding YOU responsible? Actions produce reactions. Hudreds of years of racism manifests a reaction in the contemporary black condition of today. How that truth holds you responsible I am not sure. No one said you are responsible for that condition.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
It is illogical when you hold people responsible today for actions they had no control over in the past.

Also, just FYI: The REvolutionary War point was a bad point. THe government today and society today are both vastly different than what it was back then.
But the past explains a lot. For instance the often mentioned victim mentality of black people, it is the result of the fact that blacks indeed were victims for a long time. One can't just say, the present is not the past and thus expect the victim mentality to be gone.
It's not like with playing cards, where after a game the cards are shuffled and everybody starts anew from the same situation. The past has severe and long-lasting consequences for the present and future.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Brilliant View Post
Were you personally enslaved?
Do you personally know any white people alive today who enslaved black people?

If the answer to either of those questions is "No", then history is irrelevant.

The fact that you hold up "history" as a shield to hide behind makes you ignorant.
I am white. I have never enslaved a black person. Why, if you're interested in being fair, should I be discriminated against because people who aren't me, had nothing to do with me, were alive before I was born, and didn't have my approval in their actions chose to do something?

Am I allowed to walk up to a black person on the street and hate him because some time back in Africa, I'm sure some black person that had nothing to do with him must've killed a white person that had nothing to do with me?

Nobody says you can't hate the people who did the crime. But hating the people who had nothing to do with the crime and couldn't even have anything to do with it because they weren't even born yet? That's just plain stupid.

I don't blame you for stupidity that your ancestors may have done. Don't blame us for something we never did.
Please don't get him started

Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
This just shows ignorance on the part of the NAACP. Read the card. It says in the universe. Anyone who knows anything about space would get the part about the black hole. It is saying that graduates can conquer anything in the universe even a black hole. I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies