Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 AM

351 posts, read 533,690 times

Advertisements

Sad.....I guess freedom of speech only applies when you arent hurting peoples feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post
Sad.....I guess freedom of speech only applies when you arent hurting peoples feelings.
She has a right to say whatever she wanted as does her employer have a right to let her go.

No one is telling her she cant say whatever she wants.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
She has a right to say whatever she wanted as does her employer have a right to let her go.

No one is telling her she cant say whatever she wants.
Thats false freedom then. You have a right to say what you want, but society can pretty much remove you from it if they dont agree.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
She can say whatever she wants to say.

At least you didn't deny it before when I said your real problem is that you don't like Jews, period.

Because you don't. What you're actually lacking is the courage to completely admit that you don't. Maybe that's because deep down you know that what you believe is WRONG.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Who stopped her from speaking?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Last I checked she isn't going to jail. She called for ethnic cleansing.

I've heard plenty of people on the left say that peopel shouldn't be allowed to draw mohammed cartoons.

Cartoon vs. ethnic cleansing, which is worse?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Thats false freedom then. You have a right to say what you want, but society can pretty much remove you from it if they dont agree.
She is still in society...
You also seem confused about the 1st Amendment and its application.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
How does this apply to Helen Thomas CHOOSING to resign???

Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
She can say whatever she wants to say.

At least you didn't deny it before when I said your real problem is that you don't like Jews, period.

Because you don't. What you're actually lacking is the courage to completely admit that you don't. Maybe that's because deep down you know that what you believe is WRONG.
Why are you playing the religion card?

You dont know my opinion on any group of people, yet feel the need to call me an antisemite.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I suppose that's why the media is burying this story unlike what happend to Don Imus?

The media isnt "burying" anything because her comments are not disparaging of someones race. When you call a womans basketball team a bunch of "nappy headed hoes" its alot different than saying (poorly) that Israel should give back the land they have stolen since 1948.

Tragically, even an innocent, off the cuff slip of the tongue has now cost this woman everything, the rightwing attack machine, with its barking dogs always at the ready, have created a firestorm that forced an almost 90 year old woman to retire.

I saw this one coming. You dont criticize Israel and you dont criticize the U.S. military.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
She is still in society...
You also seem confused about the 1st Amendment and its application.
Add it to the list of things they're confused about.

Nobody is telling her she can't say whatever she wants to say.

But Freedom of Speech doesn't promise you get to keep a job, and besides; she wasn't fired, she quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies