Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinsghost View Post
you bet it was. You bet south africa was. Your idea of a nation is amusing. Btw, check out the link i edited into previous post, and see if you can find palestine there. It is a pro-israeli website.
lol.....

Quote:
on 3 june 1947, viscount louis mountbatten, the last british governor-general of india, announced the partitioning of the british indian empire into india and pakistan. On 14 august 1947, pakistan was declared a separate nation from them. At midnight, on 15 august 1947, india became an independent nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
USA is not Israel. Now, if USA were illegally building colonies in occupied territories, and I were a part of it, you bet I should respect what the natives ask for.

Now, a question. Has Israel been building on Palestinian lands?
Not to go off-topic, but slaughtering over 10 million Native Americans isn't "illegally building colonies?" In other words, you are saying time heals.

There was never a group of people call "Palestinians" Arafat called himself a Palestinian and he was born in Cairo. This is a sad, sad situation. Children are living in deplorable conditions, but they were offered homes, food, jobs and were told they'd be killed of they left the refugee camps by Arafat and other militants. Some Islamic militant groups kill their own people. Amnesty International investigated the murder of women and children in refugee camps and learned that militant groups like Hezbollah were slitting their throats.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Not to go off-topic, but slaughtering over 10 million Native Americans isn't "illegally building colonies?" In other words, you are saying time heals.
Indeed. Time heals, and pretty much the only thing that goes against what Helen Thomas said. Otherwise she was on target. I do think that native Americans deserve a lot more than those reservations. It is continued oppression.

Quote:
There was never a group of people call "Palestinians" Arafat called himself a Palestinian and he was born in Cairo.
McCain was born in Panama, but he calls himself an American. Can a Israeli be born outside Israel and be called an Israeli? No?

Palestine has been around since Biblical times. But more importantly, Israel was carved out of Palestine in 1948, thanks to the UN (and likely US influence). Not a bad start here.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
lol.....
Just so that you know, India was not called England, or Great Britain. If that is what your idea of a nation leads to. Perhaps I should have said "country".

Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Palestine has been around since Biblical times.
So you're saying Jews didn't live there during Biblical times? Do you realize that no "Palestinian" wants to live harmoniously with Jews? They want to exterminate every Jew left on the planet. This is not a matter of equal rights. If the Jews in Israel put down their guns they will cease to exist.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So you're saying Jews didn't live there during Biblical times? Do you realize that no "Palestinian" wants to live harmoniously with Jews? They want to exterminate every Jew left on the planet. This is not a matter of equal rights. If the Jews in Israel put down their guns they will cease to exist.
They sure did. My point was to correct your claim, that Palestine and Palestinian references date back farther than Arafat.

FYI, Israelis and Palestinians (or Canaanites in general) have wanted to exterminate each other since Biblical times.

Nobody is asking Israel (note: not Jews, as I assume Israel is one of those liberal democracies that extends freedom of religion, doesn't it?) to surrender. It has every right to defend its boundaries and its people as a nation. And so do Palestinians.

You're unaware of the fact that there are plenty of Jews who share my opinion on Israel and its actions. Need examples?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I have nothing against Jews but...
Not to single you out or anything, but it seems like anytime someone types those first five words, they're always followed by the sixth one, and then anything they say after that is fair game.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:25 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
Quote:
Well... ignoring that most of that "slaughter" was conducted by bacteria... just about every nation is built on the bones of those that came before. It's only recently that we've generally decided that is a bad thing.

Good for us.

It's a silly anachronism to hold people of a half millennium ago to the standards of our zeitgeist. I have little doubt that in another 200 years people will look back at us and consider us hopeless barbarians.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
They sure did. My point was to correct your claim, that Palestine and Palestinian references date back farther than Arafat.
Unfortunately, communicating this way isn't always easy unless you're a super typist. I never said Palestine didn't exist. I said there was not an ancient people called "Palestinians." Please show me one passage in the Bible where it talks about the Palestinians.

Edit: To make myself clearer, here's an analogy. Christians have existed for over 2,000 years. I once wrote that "Fundamentalist Christianity" is not a religion, but I didn't say Christianity isn't a religion. When I wrote that there was not a Palestinian State with people called Palestinians, I didn't say Palestine hasn't existed since ancient times. That's twisting my words.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:42 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
IMHO:

1) There are no good guys in the Arab-Israeli conflict. Both sides have been brutally intransigent and resistant to the compromises that might have allowed coexistence. Much of each side's suffering is self inflicted.

2) It's still not a symmetrical conflict. For the Jews and the Jewish State of Israel, the threat is existential. For the Palestinians, it is not. I am personally pissed off at no short list of Israeli actions... but I understand each and every one of them.

3) I absolutely support the unilateral declaration of an independent Palestinian State. I simply think that the Israeli's should be the one's to unilaterally declare it. That simple declaration would rob the Palestinians of the core issue that allows them to keep the pot simmering, and enable a more serious negotiation on final status issues like the "right of return" (not gonna happen) and the dismantling of Israeli settlements on the West Bank (has to happen). As in the original partition plan, nether side should end up with Jerusalem.

4) The solution has always been land for peace. It is still land for peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies