Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM

683 posts, read 428,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
There is one major problem with your thoughts here.

There is a proven method to fixing this. It is called drilling a relief well. That takes 2 to 3 months. BP didnt want to do that because of the cost. they said they could stop it faster than that.

Well, we didnt hold their feet to the fire and demand the relief well get started while they were doing other things and now we are 45 days in and no fix and no relief well.

That one thing alone is proof that we have idiots in charge. or worse people who recognize a good crisis that should not be allowed to go to waste.
BP has some very smart guys working on this, there's a lot of risk in drilling a relief well or 2.

BP Relief Wells Bring Risk of Bigger Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill - BusinessWeek

They started to drill the first of 2 relief wells on May 2nd.

Work Begins To Drill Relief Well To Stop Oil Spill | Press release | bp.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
BP has some very smart guys working on this, there's a lot of risk in drilling a relief well or 2.

BP Relief Wells Bring Risk of Bigger Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill - BusinessWeek

They started to drill the first of 2 relief wells on May 2nd.

Work Begins To Drill Relief Well To Stop Oil Spill | Press release | bp.com
well, why the heck isnt this being reported? geez look how stupid the media is making me look??????

LOL!

Thank you mean fish for the information!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:37 PM

683 posts, read 428,696 times
Quote:
well, why the heck isnt this being reported? geez look how stupid the media is making me look??????

LOL!

It is being reported, you just read a news article and a press release. If you're asking why it's not on TV, well that's because oil soaked pelicans and an apathetic president gets better ratings.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
You see outrage over taxes, over abortion, over illegal immigration, over the Iraq War, over health care, but no protests or public displays of anger regarding the oil spill. IMO the oil spill is just as pressing, if not more than any of those other issues. I'm dumbfounded.
I'm so outraged that I've been thinking up appropriate punishments for the BP criminals. One is that they are forced to lick the oil off of the birds in the gulf while a knife is held to their private parts. That is just a sample of the hatred that I feel towards these vermin. There are no words to describe what a horrific thing they have done. It is almost as if they have been sent from hell to wreak havoc on the earth. Whatever amount in dollars and cents that they are forced to pay back will never be able to compensate for the unspeakable destruction. Yes, one would think that it would 24/7 coverage and non stop pressure on these leeches.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times
Very, very confusing. I watched tonight as local government officials were irate at BP for the devastation and the massive blow to the local economy, but at the same time complaining that the government can't shut down offshore drilling in the gulf.
It would be like Transylvania complaining that the Vampires were killing and sucking the blood out of the local population and then ***** because the solution was to send in Van Helsing. Don't they realize that a large portion of the population are employed as gravediggers?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Maybe this tells the story:
media restrictions on BP oil spill - Google Search
People will only become outraged if they see what is going on.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
We also need to be on the streets demanding that this spill be plugged up immediately. I don't know, maybe because it's so damn depressing people aren't motivated.
They're waiting for you to tell them how to do it...

Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
You see outrage over taxes, over abortion, over illegal immigration, over the Iraq War, over health care, but no protests or public displays of anger regarding the oil spill. IMO the oil spill is just as pressing, if not more than any of those other issues. I'm dumbfounded.
Because protesting those issues you raised would be generally directed towards the government. The government had/has a direct role in all of them, i.e. legalizing abortion, sending troops to Iraq, "reforming" healthcare, failing to enforce immigration laws, etc. This oil spill in the Gulf is not the result of 'direct' government action (or inaction).

So far it appears to be an isolated incident that was the result of an accident or negligence by a private entity (a corporation). If this happened regularly and was not an isolated incident, then there would be protests for the government to do something such as more (or less) regulations, legal prosecution, etc.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
we at least agree on the above 100%

one deadline that needs to be done is start working on the relief well TODAY. all else is really secondary to that.
Relief well best hope for sealing oil leak - Disaster in the Gulf- msnbc.com

The statement said work on the first relief well, which started on May 2, was continuing and it had reached a depth of 12,090 feet, BP said.

The second relief well, which started on May 16, had reached 8,576 feet before drilling was temporarily suspended on May 26, but it has now resumed. Both wells are still estimated to take around three months to complete from commencement of drilling, BP said.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:

LOL!

It is being reported, maybe not so much by the National news but it sure is on our local news....

I guess it doesn't fit their agenda.... (national news) and by national news I meant the networks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies