Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:24 AM

412 posts, read 404,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
You see outrage over taxes, over abortion, over illegal immigration, over the Iraq War, over health care, but no protests or public displays of anger regarding the oil spill. IMO the oil spill is just as pressing, if not more than any of those other issues. I'm dumbfounded.
Unfortunately, until they are directly affected a lot of Americans don't really care that much about environmental issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
no sense blowing out our adrenals over something we can't personally fix. That doesn't mean that we accept it. But aside from helping with clean up, and cussing out Obama, BP, etc, what can be done ?

Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
Unfortunately, until they are directly affected a lot of Americans don't really care that much about environmental issues.
Let's think a moment about the absurdity of that. We are all directly affected when we are being poisoned, whether it be slowly or otherwise. The oil industry and its corrupt and greed driven policies has been polluting our air, soil and water since its beginnings. Can anyone deny that they are directly affected by the polluting of the elements?

Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
I'll be dead before it has any effect on me personally. And I have no offspring, nor do I want any.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 PM

125 posts, read 218,162 times
Originally Posted by Visvaldis
Maybe this tells the story:
media restrictions on BP oil spill - Google Search
People will only become outraged if they see what is going on.

OMG this is bizarre. What I want to know is why Tony Hayward has not enlisted the help of Dubai and other oil producers - haven't they dealt with this kind of gusher?

Also why hasn't President Obama hired every oil industry brainiac from around the world to collaborate? Why not also hire millions of people, gear them up with respirators and sludge suits, and get FEMA out there placing boom and directing mop-up? Put it on BP's tab.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
People care and there is outrage. But people also realize there is nothing that protests can do. We can't change laws to fix this like we can those other issues.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:58 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People care and there is outrage. But people also realize there is nothing that protests can do. We can't change laws to fix this like we can those other issues.
I agree!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
A coworker of mine, who is a big fan of Rush and the Drill Baby Drill movement, told me he didn't really care what happened, doesn't affect him at all. It was one of those rare moments in life where I felt knocking some sense into someone.
And a less rare moment for about 307 million people feeling like RushBlow Slimbaugh should be run out of the country. The other few thousand are spectacularly overchallenged dittoheads; they might want to go with him.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,134,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Don't cry over spilled milk. What's done is done.
True but YOU CAN SURE BUST THE ASS OF THE FOOL THAT SPILLS IT.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
no sense blowing out our adrenals over something we can't personally fix. That doesn't mean that we accept it. But aside from helping with clean up, and cussing out Obama, BP, etc, what can be done ?
I wrote emails to my congresspeople asking them to put pressure on President Obama to take strong measures to seek help outside BP. Maybe a grassroots effort will make it known that the "people" are concerned. What do you think? Am I wasting my time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies