Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
The artist states that he has been told to get the "Ni22er" off the wall, I guess that's another example of people in that area just using another word they feel is just as benign as demanding the faces be lightened...all for the sunlight effect.
By whom was he told that and what race were they?

I remember last year I was trying to ask someone that's here illegally about whether or not they understood the following day was Martin Luther King day. I don't speak any Spanish and they didn't speak any English but, you know what they did manage to blurt out? You guessed it, "Ni22ers"....it amazing how people that don't understand a language, still know a few words....curses and slurs.

Does any one know how many African-American students there are in that school....it is Prescott, there may not be any....I don't know....I'm asking.

Last edited by Danno3314; 06-06-2010 at 03:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
Altered mural fuels racial debate in Prescott

What in the world is wrong with Arizona?
Your statement is as ignorant and stereotypical as the bigots in your quoted article. Nothing is WRONG with Arizona as per your cited article.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Sounds harmless doesn't it?

Light Skin = Happy Bright
Dark Skin = Gloomy Dark

Is that the message you really want to support?

So you would rather support that lightskin=gloomy dark and darkskin= happy bright??

Think about that for a few minutes. Let's look at the darkest neighborhoods in our country. IF you’re white, and even black in most cases, what image does that bring?

If it brings images of black children playing, mothers and fathers walking with their kids in the park, and an overall safe, friendly, happy and bright atmosphere, then you have been brainwashed from the lefts politically correct mantra and are completely out of touch with reality!

I understand sheltering our children from the harsh cruel realities of the world we live in and raising them with open minds and attitudes..

But as an adult you don't need to try and pull the wool over my eyes.

The idea of every image we see having to be gender neutral, or reflect something that isn't real just to be sensitive, or to PROMOTE DIVERSITY, has grown completely out of control.

I don't agree with the principle, they should have told the artist what they wanted from in the beginning, otherwise accept what the artist drew.

but to sit there and have a problem with pictures that depicts all white people is No different then the people who are against this image that is trying to promote diversity rather then "reflect" the realities of that school.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
So you would rather support that lightskin=gloomy dark and darkskin= happy bright??

Think about that for a few minutes. Let's look at the darkest neighborhoods in our country. IF you’re white, and even black in most cases, what image does that bring?

If it brings images of black children playing, mothers and fathers walking with their kids in the park, and an overall safe, friendly, happy and bright atmosphere, then you have been brainwashed from the lefts politically correct mantra and are completely out of touch with reality!

I understand sheltering our children from the harsh cruel realities of the world we live in and raising them with open minds and attitudes..

But as an adult you don't need to try and pull the wool over my eyes.

The idea of every image we see having to be gender neutral, or reflect something that isn't real just to be sensitive, or to PROMOTE DIVERSITY, has grown completely out of control.

I don't agree with the principle, they should have told the artist what they wanted from in the beginning, otherwise accept what the artist drew.

but to sit there and have a problem with pictures that depicts all white people is No different then the people who are against this image that is trying to promote diversity rather then "reflect" the realities of that school.
I think the principal made a mistake when he suggested changing the mood of the mural by altering the skin tones of the children depicted. As the principal now admits.

Hundreds stage counter-protest over school mural
Denied:1up! Software ()

District Superintendent Kevin Kapp and school Principal Jeff Lane also admitted they erred for instructing the Mural Mice to lighten the faces on some of the children depicted in the mural that adorns the district's most ethnically diverse campus.
"I told R. (Wall) this morning to go back to the original theme," Kapp said. He referred to the face of a boy who is modeled on a student named Mario.

As one of the signs in Saturday's protest in support of the original mural stated: "Every Child is the Perfect Color".

Even dark skin Blacks can gather
in a park and have it be "an overall safe, friendly, happy and bright atmosphere". It has nothing to do with skin tone.

The artists worked with both the students and the teachers from the school and they selected the version of the mural they wanted.

Art Attack: Elementary school mural getting a 'lighter' facelift
Denied:1up! Software ()

Wall and representatives of the Prescott Alternative Transportation organization, which paid for the mural with money it receives through the Arizona Department of Transportation's Safe Routes to School program, emphasize the mural design was the result of extensive participation by Miller Valley Elementary School faculty and students.

And Paul Katan, the Safe Routes to School program coordinator, pointed out that the artists based the mural's subjects on several Miller Valley School students, who posed for a photo. The boy in the center is of Mexican descent, Katan added.

Miller Valley Principal Jeff Lane explained that the mural artists showed six designs to the school's students. The students voted on their favorite and sent the top three designs to the teachers. The teachers selected the final design for the new mural.

"The teachers selected this design because it focused on children and their role in the environment," Lane said.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Creole View Post
Didn't Arizona ban Martin Luther King day like 15 years ago.
Yep, they claimed it was racist to honor the country's greatest civil rights leader.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yep, they claimed it was racist to honor the country's greatest civil rights leader.
Please stop race baiting ...
Two of the main arguments mentioned by opponents were that a paid holiday for federal employees would be too expensive, and that a holiday to honor a private citizen would be contrary to longstanding tradition King had never held public office.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
The picture was of an actual student! You people can't even see your own hypocrisy calling this mural racist when it is you who are uptight about the skin color of this kid. Should he not have the opportunity to be in the center of the mural just because he's black?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:41 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Please stop race baiting ...
Two of the main arguments mentioned by opponents were that a paid holiday for federal employees would be too expensive, and that a holiday to honor a private citizen would be contrary to longstanding tradition King had never held public office.
I remember the debate first hand. Lots of people were on TV and radio claiming it was racist to have "a black holiday" as if honoring the achievements of a man who happened to be black was racist. It was all classical projection by the right wing.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
This story is bad news and a sad indicator of how hateful people can be. I am shocked they are appeasing the racists by lightening the skin color of the kid in the mural.

There has to be more to the story. What is going on in that state anyway

Old 06-06-2010, 10:49 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I remember the debate first hand. Lots of people were on TV and radio claiming it was racist to have "a black holiday" as if honoring the achievements of a man who happened to be black was racist. It was all classical projection by the right wing.
Ok dude , we will just take your word for it . I will just flush the facts in the crapper .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies