Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Two of the main arguments mentioned by opponents were that a paid holiday for federal employees would be too expensive, and that a holiday to honor a private citizen would be contrary to longstanding tradition King had never held public office.

I posted this fact when a race baiter posted an untrue reason.
BTW , In my opinion the cheap taxpayers of Arizona don't want to pay state workers for ANY of the holidays . White or son of God .
For the property taxes you have pay in New Jersey, the rest of the country has cheap taxpayers.....insane! I moved from NJ to AZ 20 years ago.....at that time I was making a little over 100K working as a craftsman in a trade (lithography....I worked with pre-press....film....not ink on a printing press). An starter home then was $240,000 and that meant an old house that you needed to gut the bathroom and kitchen in and remodel it. You needed $40,000 cash (not ounting what you would need to do the remodeling), $24,000 for the down payment and in NJ another $16,000 roughly for the closing costs (lawyer you have to use....all that crap).

I bought a condo here in AZ in 91....in NJ it would be called a townhouse but, they don't refer to them that way here. It's two floor separate 2B/1 1/2 bath, 1,300 sq. ft. and separate garage....at that time it was 4 years old. Now my salary at first was about in the high 50's and by then it was in the mid to high 60's so, there was a significant cut in pay but, I paid $52,000 for my condo. They told me I had to put $100 down on it....the closing costs were about $1,500....and after I moved in I actually got a check back for the $100 down payment (not sure why). My property taxes have more than doubled in the past 20 years but, I'm paying about $1,000 a year now.

I still have relatives back there and they're paying $10,000-12,000 annually for property tax....and that's an old house with no yard too. The only cheap thing in NJ (and it may no longer be the case) was your vehicle registration....I think it was $27/year ($52/year for a truck) no matter what make or year the vehicle was. What was screwed up though was if you bought a used car from a private party....when you transfered the title they used to make you pay declare what you paid for the car and then charge you sales tax on it....and if you lied and stated an amount that was less than what the car was worth, they would send you a letter and all you a lying SOB and that you have to pay up or file an appeal and provide further evidence that you're not lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How come, then, it's called "Martin Luther King, Jr./Civil Rights Day" in Arizona?
I don't know....you tell me.....make some assumptions about it.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I don't know....you tell me.....make some assumptions about it.
Or just use logic.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
For the property taxes you have pay in New Jersey, the rest of the country has cheap taxpayers.....insane! I moved from NJ to AZ 20 years ago.....at that time I was making a little over 100K working as a craftsman in a trade (lithography....I worked with pre-press....film....not ink on a printing press). An starter home then was $240,000 and that meant an old house that you needed to gut the bathroom and kitchen in and remodel it. You needed $40,000 cash (not ounting what you would need to do the remodeling), $24,000 for the down payment and in NJ another $16,000 roughly for the closing costs (lawyer you have to use....all that crap).

I bought a condo here in AZ in 91....in NJ it would be called a townhouse but, they don't refer to them that way here. It's two floor separate 2B/1 1/2 bath, 1,300 sq. ft. and separate garage....at that time it was 4 years old. Now my salary at first was about in the high 50's and by then it was in the mid to high 60's so, there was a significant cut in pay but, I paid $52,000 for my condo. They told me I had to put $100 down on it....the closing costs were about $1,500....and after I moved in I actually got a check back for the $100 down payment (not sure why). My property taxes have more than doubled in the past 20 years but, I'm paying about $1,000 a year now.

I still have relatives back there and they're paying $10,000-12,000 annually for property tax....and that's an old house with no yard too. The only cheap thing in NJ (and it may no longer be the case) was your vehicle registration....I think it was $27/year ($52/year for a truck) no matter what make or year the vehicle was. What was screwed up though was if you bought a used car from a private party....when you transfered the title they used to make you pay declare what you paid for the car and then charge you sales tax on it....and if you lied and stated an amount that was less than what the car was worth, they would send you a letter and all you a lying SOB and that you have to pay up or file an appeal and provide further evidence that you're not lying.
Not to be completely off topic but it’s the same here in Democratic Maine. Out of control spending, crazy taxes, massive immigration of foreigners that don’t speak English, ect. Maine has NO residency requirement for welfare. You collect the same day. We have a state run healthcare plan dirigo that’s cost us almost 100 million to insure less then 10,000 people. They have a solution to solve everyone’s problem and that is to throw money at it.

My friend in Az has a house bigger then mine, gets much better services and pays half the taxes. But that has been changing. Residents need only to look at California to see what their future is if they don’t act now!

It's easy to call people racists when it "appears" that a particular group or minority has been targeted. But it’s no different then why the other side is supporting its stance?? It’s all about the money and power!

Do you think that the president of Mexico wants to see the billions of dollars being sent to his country by illegal's here in the states come to a stop? Do you think corrupt politicians want to lose a voting base? Or that thousands of state workers want to lose their jobs in social services?

This is all about money. This painting on the wall has been an unfortunate casualty of a war that liberalism, greed, and political correctness started.

In hind site I am sure there are some that regret the attention this brought to their community. It’s easy to look at something like that and “think” that this is once again politically correct diversity being crammed down our throat and then be angered over it. It’s not as simple as you libs like to think it is. It’s not about a white community upset over having to look at a dark skinned person on a wall. It’s the long sordid history behind these things. Isn't it interesting that in a community 98% white the artist chose a dark skinned student to be at the center of the painting during a time unrest. Well we know exactly why these things are done??

And to call out AZ as being a racist state is ignorant and bias on your own part.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:52 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Actually as a resident of Arizona, I can tell you there are a whole bunch of racist ignorant yahoos running around.

Not everybody, but a whole bunch.

The good news is that the yahoo that started up the whole controvesry got his rear canned from his little morning show, and the community rallied around the school and the mural to do the right thing.

Denied:1up! Software ()

Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
It makes about as much sense as making a huge mural depicting a white child in Compton.

but no one would dare protesting if that happened. amirite?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Or just use logic.
Here's your question:

Quote:
How come, then, it's called "Martin Luther King, Jr./Civil Rights Day" in Arizona?
Because they finally decided to go ahead and give the state, county and local government employees yet another paid holiday (and therefore, benefit) that very, very few others get, in any state, unless you're a government employee. What percentage of the private sector receives a paid holiday for Martin Luther King day?

In Arizona, if the company you work for is unionized, as an employee there, you don't have to join it....it's a right to work state. If you decide to, your dues are almost nothing. What do you receive in return, almost nothing. They help negotiate a contract with the employer but, they have very little power to force an employer to accept something they don't want to. What ever the contract they agree to, gets applied to employees that are members of the union as well as those that didn't want to join. Most states are not right to work states and with government employees belonging to one of the few unions left with any power, getting another paid holiday for Martin Luther King, was a pretty easy benefit to negotiate come contract time. In Arizona, the pressure was because so many other states government employees were already receiving a paid holiday for it and Arizona was still wasn't....because you don't have any unions here with any power, to negotiate for it at contract time....it had nothing to do with racism.

Now you tell me what your logic is for why it's called Martin Luther King/Civil Rights day and what that has to do with the state not wanting to make it a paid holiday for all the state, county and local government employees in this here, rather than it having anything to do with racial issues.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
By whom was he told that and what race were they?

I remember last year I was trying to ask someone that's here illegally about whether or not they understood the following day was Martin Luther King day. I don't speak any Spanish and they didn't speak any English but, you know what they did manage to blurt out? You guessed it, "Ni22ers"....it amazing how people that don't understand a language, still know a few words....curses and slurs.

Does any one know how many African-American students there are in that school....it is Prescott, there may not be any....I don't know....I'm asking.
What does it matter the race of the person who shouted out "Ni@@er", if you listen to the you tube footage he mentions the epithat around the 1:03 sec. mark and by the way, the illegals that here and managed to blurt out the word "Ni@@ers" just where do you think they picked up that word ?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Not to be completely off topic but it’s the same here in Democratic Maine. Out of control spending, crazy taxes, massive immigration of foreigners that don’t speak English, ect. Maine has NO residency requirement for welfare. You collect the same day. We have a state run healthcare plan dirigo that’s cost us almost 100 million to insure less then 10,000 people. They have a solution to solve everyone’s problem and that is to throw money at it.

My friend in Az has a house bigger then mine, gets much better services and pays half the taxes. But that has been changing. Residents need only to look at California to see what their future is if they don’t act now!

It's easy to call people racists when it "appears" that a particular group or minority has been targeted. But it’s no different then why the other side is supporting its stance?? It’s all about the money and power!

Do you think that the president of Mexico wants to see the billions of dollars being sent to his country by illegal's here in the states come to a stop? Do you think corrupt politicians want to lose a voting base? Or that thousands of state workers want to lose their jobs in social services?

This is all about money. This painting on the wall has been an unfortunate casualty of a war that liberalism, greed, and political correctness started.

In hind site I am sure there are some that regret the attention this brought to their community. It’s easy to look at something like that and “think” that this is once again politically correct diversity being crammed down our throat and then be angered over it. It’s not as simple as you libs like to think it is. It’s not about a white community upset over having to look at a dark skinned person on a wall. It’s the long sordid history behind these things. Isn't it interesting that in a community 98% white the artist chose a dark skinned student to be at the center of the painting during a time unrest. Well we know exactly why these things are done??

And to call out AZ as being a racist state is ignorant and bias on your own part.
What I find strange is that you can assert your opposition to political correctness at the same time that you argue against the depiction of a dark skin child on a mural in a community that is 98% white.

The Daily Courier editorial reprinted a letter that I think expresses it best: Henry Flurry, said it best: "When I drive past the Miller Valley mural, I see a happy child. Not once did I consciously note what race was being depicted. When Councilman Steve Blair drives by, he sees the color black, while repeatedly claiming not to be racist. To paraphrase Shakespeare, 'Methinks thou dost protest too much.'"

Fortunately the local community responded and the school administrations reconsidered their request to lighten the skin tone of the child.

It would appear that it is only a small, but perhaps vocal, portion of the community that views the mural as "
somebody forcing diversity down their throats."

To quote Councilman Steve Blair, "I would have to ask the question, 'Why?'"

Last edited by WilliamSmyth; 06-07-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
What percentage of the private sector receives a paid holiday for Martin Luther King day?
I don't know the overall percentages of companies that have it as a paid holiday, but the 2 private companies I have worked for since the holiday was created have had it as a paid holiday. I would note that this is in spite of the fact that they don't provide a paid holiday for many other days.

I did find the following article reports on a survey of companies taking the day off.

BNA - More Employers Plan to Observe Martin Luther King Day

Although the 33 percent figure is up just slightly from last year (31 percent), it is the highest recorded since 1986, when Dr. King’s birthday first became a national holiday. Trends spanning three decades show slow but steady increases in observance among employers. Just 14 percent of those surveyed made Martin Luther King Day a paid holiday in its inaugural year of 1986 and survey figures stayed in the teens for six years until a spike in 1993 (24 percent). Figures remained stable at the new level for the next 10 years (between 21 and 27 percent) before climbing to 30 percent for the first time in 2003. Reported figures have dropped below 29 percent just once since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies