Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,716,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
Altered mural fuels racial debate in Prescott

What in the world is wrong with Arizona?
It's not about Arizona in the since that you mean it.. It's everywhere. I am not supporting this kind of behavior, especially yelling racial slurs of any kind!

But there are few things I think of when I see this.

1st. The story is not completely clear on what exactley was going on?

people yelling stuff out of car windows is not a reason to make such a big change.. there must be more to it..

2nd. If this was a mostly black school in Harlam and it was the same mural but with a predominantly white theme we might see the same kind of uproar. However our most illustrious and open minded friends to the left would never have a problem with that..

ultimately its about political correctness gone crazy.. we have been living under the pressure of a diverse society for years.. diversty being crammed down our throats at every instance telling us its a good thing. But the reality is it has not been a good thing overall.. many feel its been oppressive and resulted in massive reverse discrimination. We are supposed to celebrate diversity but not recognize our differences. You can be a proud black man but if your a proud white man your a skin head.

Maybe People are fed up with it and what your seeing is a backlash.. people are now feeling empowered to step foraward and complain about little things that really should be left alone just because of years of frustration.

I know you guys dont want to hear this. You feel more comfortable thinking these people are just racists and hate minorities.. It's much easier to attack them if you don't inderstand where they might be comming from.

Of course the end result will be some crazy idea to have all paintings gender neutral as to not offend anyone! and more Political correctness will further the devide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Creole View Post
Didn't Arizona ban Martin Luther King day like 15 years ago.
I don't think so but each holiday costs the state 4 million , Arizona law is that only the voters can raise taxes . So the question is do you want to give ( mostly not black ) people a MLK day off on your tax bill .

Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM

53 posts, read 28,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I don't think so but each holiday costs the state 4 million , Arizona law is that only the voters can raise taxes . So the question is do you want to give ( mostly not black ) people a MLK day off on your tax bill .
I see nothing wrong with celebrating MLK, he fought for civil rights off all Americans, not just Black Americans.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Ok now this is carring things to a bit of an EXTREME! What are they ever thinking. This was surely not a good move.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 PM

328 posts, read 195,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Creole View Post
I see nothing wrong with celebrating MLK, he fought for civil rights off all Americans, not just Black Americans.
Sure he did. We should not be forced to celebrate that holiday but hey I loved having an extra day off from school but now its just an annoyance. I remember a few years back the naacp complaining and whining because I think it was Greenville county,SC refused to allow their workers the day off. Guess its slipped people's minds that just like Obama we can't see King's records until I believe it is 2020. They are hidden and blocked thanks to his wife not wanting the country to know what kind of person he was. I wouldn't either if my husband was a plagarizer,womanizer and communist.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
I wouldn't either if my husband was a plagarizer,womanizer and communist.
Is that really what you have against MLK Jr?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM

328 posts, read 195,953 times
Yes it is actually. Go ahead throw the race card out there I am sure you libs love doing it have been doing it since 2008 or so since Obama entered the race for president. Problem is you were wrong then and you are still wrong now.I wouldn't care if King had been white,black,orange,purple,or yellow he was those things and I would have not liked him no matter his race.Fortunately for myself I can see past race and judge people on the character and beliefs not their skin color.Sucks for you can't seem to do the same.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:52 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Yes it is actually. Go ahead throw the race card out there I am sure you libs love doing it have been doing it since 2008 or so since Obama entered the race for president. Problem is you were wrong then and you are still wrong now.I wouldn't care if King had been white,black,orange,purple,or yellow he was those things and I would have not liked him no matter his race.Fortunately for myself I can see past race and judge people on the character and beliefs not their skin color.Sucks for you can't seem to do the same.
Since those are the reasons you don't like him, care to discuss them?

I never heard that he plagiarized anything. What did he plagiarize?

I did hear that he cheated on his wife. You dont like pastors who cheat on their wives, and I dont blame you.

Could you provide a link to anything that proves he was a Communist? I know the FBI was never able to prove it.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
The artist said that not the administrator. The picture needed lightened up. Yall don't seem to understand. It is a go green mural. They wanted the kids happier and brighter. Not dark and gloomy.
Sounds harmless doesn't it?

Light Skin = Happy Bright
Dark Skin = Gloomy Dark

Is that the message you really want to support?

Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Sounds harmless doesn't it?

Light Skin = Happy Bright
Dark Skin = Gloomy Dark

Is that the message you really want to support?
You have to understand the "hic" mentality here in Arizona. Not too many "brothers" live here. So of course the townspeople had to go run for their pitchforks when the school accidently made a "brown" face a little too dark.

That could be disastrous for the town psyche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies