Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
A disturbing article about Israel's cozy relationship with the apartheid regime of south africa. Apparently noble principles go out the window for a few bucks. As if we do not hook them up enough as it is.

The new book reveals that Israel’s secret relationship with apartheid South Africa - By Glenn Frankel | Foreign Policy

Foreign-policy realists argue that the price Washington pays in the Muslim world for its support of Israel far outweighs whatever strategic value the Jewish state provides. The more compelling case has always focused on Israel's character as a robust democracy that shares American values. But the clandestine alliance with South Africa undermined Israel's rightful claim on U.S. admiration and support. After all, if Israel is just another standard-issue country that conducts business with pariah states and lies about it, why should America be concerned about its fate?
For more compelling reading in addition to the above, I suggest googling the following: "Israel China AWACS". She cruises the 'red' light district from time-to-time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrykein View Post
It's not the 51st state, yet considering the feelings people have regarding the country it may very well be the 51st state. Seriously, I find this love-affair so many Americans have with Israel to be absurd.
I saw the thread title, and though you were going to be one of its supporters, wondering why other people "hate" them so much. The U.S. gives far to much aid to a country responsible for the attack on the USS Liberty, who spied on us in the '80s (and, no doubt, even today), and who needs to grow up and take care of its own business by itself, instead of running off to "Pops" every time it has a bit of trouble.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:07 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The disproportionate media coverage of Israel:
Website highlights disproportionate media coverage of Israel

Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
For forty freaking years, I've had to put up with "the Middle East", "Israel", "bombing", etc in the nightly news. I blame Israel for the problems in that region (not exclusively, but primarily). If it cannot find a peaceful solution after 40+ years, may it just be nuked out of existence to save me from ever having to hear its name again. And if you're stupid enough to think this is anti-Semitic, because god knows somebody will, please go there and remember to take your sunblock 10 million with you. I've had it with the emotional rape that this region of the world subjects us to.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 AM

59 posts, read 149,804 times
Should also be remembered that before we started supporting Israel (and before we overthrew Iran's democratically elected government, in 1953), we had a positive reputation in the Middle East. After that is when all the "death to America" stuff became popular.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 AM

412 posts, read 405,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrykein View Post
It's not the 51st state, yet considering the feelings people have regarding the country it may very well be the 51st state. Seriously, I find this love-affair so many Americans have with Israel to be absurd.
It's... complicated. There are a lot of different reasons a lot of people so vigorously support Israel. There are strategic, political, religious, and ethnic elements, to name a few. It's not just Israel though, both sides tend to strongly favor one side over the other in this debate, which makes it tough for moderates to fit into the debate.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 AM

406 posts, read 495,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
It's usually the really ultra right wing Christian nut jobs who fill the ranks of the Republican party.

It has something to do with Judgment Day. And that impending 'Kingdom' they talk about. They don't care about Israel...they believe Jweish people will go to hell anyway for not being Christian. But a Jewish state is some sign of the end times. So they get an horny about it.
What the hell are you smoking? Around 85% of Jewish voters are democrats, and its the far left wing that are the haters. Maybe Jimmy Carter, Rahm Emanuel, and Obama, just to name a few are part of this group. Oh can't forget the Helen Thomas's of the world.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
For forty freaking years, I've had to put up with "the Middle East", "Israel", "bombing", etc in the nightly news. I blame Israel for the problems in that region (not exclusively, but primarily). If it cannot find a peaceful solution after 40+ years, may it just be nuked out of existence to save me from ever having to hear its name again. And if you're stupid enough to think this is anti-Semitic, because god knows somebody will, please go there and remember to take your sunblock 10 million with you. I've had it with the emotional rape that this region of the world subjects us to.

Israel has tried, on many occasions, to find peaceful solutions.

It's the other side, the side that will stop at nothing short of the complete destruction of Israel, the side that as a matter of policy target civilians, women and children with suicide bombers...that's the side that won't compromise at all.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
the golden child...clamped onto the Uncle Sam wallet with a tenacity that puts a barnacle to shame

Old 06-05-2010, 10:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Nobody should have to "put up with" forty years of "emotional rape." I wonder what you did to make Israel target you for this sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies