Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times

Advertisements

A clutch of contenders for Kennedy seat - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Ehr, ruh...that would be the end of The Kennedy...ehr ruh.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
until the next generation grows up to serve. the kennedy's did a lot of good for this country. three of them gave their lives for it.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:57 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
until the next generation grows up to serve. the kennedy's did a lot of good for this country. three of them gave their lives for it.
I agree. Seems strange to me since going back to when John was in the Senate, there has been a Kennedy in Congress my entire life.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Elective office, yes for now. But many of the Kennedys are involved behind the scenes.

Former MD Lt. Gov. kathleen KENNEDY townshend, for example, is still a member of various MD advisory boards and panels. And, although having never held an elected municipal office (in fact the only elective office she has held was two terms as Lt. Gov.), she is an invited speaker/guest at the MD Municipal League Convention most years.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:11 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Only one can be thought of to have "given" his life and that would be Joe Jr. who was blown up in an airplane in WWII. The other two (John and Bobby) had their lives taken from them.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Only one can be thought of to have "given" his life and that would be Joe Jr. who was blown up in an airplane in WWII. The other two (John and Bobby) had their lives taken from them.

so you wanna "split hairs"? either way they were all in service to our country when they gave their lives for it. not one politician can do right by us.
to try to diminish a family or their service, who for generations have served their country in one way or the other, seems extremely petty and small mind to me.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
so you wanna "split hairs"? either way they were all in service to our country when they gave their lives for it. not one politician can do right by us.
to try to diminish a family or their service, who for generations have served their country in one way or the other, seems extremely petty and small mind to me.
Setting the record straight is "petty"??? Not diminishing their "service" at all. (Their military service, that is.) Serving in the military during wartime carries a significant risk of death and injury. Being a politician does not. I do not have any illusions about anyone who enters politics as having high-minded ideals of "service". The large majority of them are in it for other reasons.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Setting the record straight is "petty"??? Not diminishing their "service" at all. (Their military service, that is.) Serving in the military during wartime carries a significant risk of death and injury. Being a politician does not. I do not have any illusions about anyone who enters politics as having high-minded ideals of "service". The large majority of them are in it for other reasons.
I was speaking in general about being petty to dismiss several generations of public service, it was not directed at you in particular. being a regular politician might not carry a significant risk of death or injury but a president sure does. no not like death in a war but still in "service" to our country.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I was speaking in general about being petty to dismiss several generations of public service, it was not directed at you in particular. being a regular politician might not carry a significant risk of death or injury but a president sure does. no not like death in a war but still in "service" to our country.
I think with the Kennedy and Bush families, it is more a "family tradition", if you will, to go into politics, euphemistically called "public service". Politicians are the most self-serving occupational group there is. Some may enter the field with good intentions but with most of them, by the time the next election comes along, it's all about re-election. The world of power and politics must be the most powerful and addictive intoxicant known since so many of them want to make careers of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies