Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Did you own the Subway shop you worked in when you refused service to people? Be honest. It wasn't YOUR business. See, the thing is, you're the one with entitlement issues, and you're the one who has issues (by your own admission) when it comes to dealing with authority. I'll bet you hated your boss too. You probably thought it wasn't fair that you did all the work and they made all the money.
The boss put me in charge. His only interest in the business was coming in for 10 minutes in the morning to empty the safe. So I had decision-making power. I liked that about the job. I only left because my wife wanted to move to another town, and wanted me there with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong.
I'm not wrong--you are. No business is obligated to serve any customer. Any business has a right to pick and choose its clients.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:37 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The boss put me in charge. His only interest in the business was coming in for 10 minutes in the morning to empty the safe. So I had decision-making power. I liked that about the job. I only left because my wife wanted to move to another town, and wanted me there with her.
I guarantee he had NO IDEA you were denying service to anyone, for any reason. If he knew you would have been out of there a lot sooner, and the choice wouldn't have been yours or your wife's to make. You can say that he wouldn't have cared, but the reality is that if he liked emptying the safe everyday he probably wouldn't have liked you shortchanging him by turning people away.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not wrong--you are. No business is obligated to serve any customer. Any business has a right to pick and choose its clients.
You know what? The police officer knows. The guy who went to law school knows. You say you can turn away a black person or a Jewish person if you want because it's your business. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:40 PM

You can turn them away--and you do not even have to GIVE a reason. Bars refuse people service for a number of reasons. You probably can't walk into Sardi's in jeans and a T-shirt, and get service--they can refuse to serve you.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
You can turn them away--and you do not even have to GIVE a reason.
I don't know where you work at this point, but if a black person were to walk in, and if you were to refuse to serve him while you continued to conduct business with other customers, you would end up having a big legal problem on your hands. Thank God for that. It wasn't always that way. It IS now.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
Quote:
You can turn them away--and you do not even have to GIVE a reason. Bars refuse people service for a number of reasons. You probably can't walk into Sardi's in jeans and a T-shirt, and get service--they can refuse to serve you.
In a way, sad but true. I don't know all the law relating to this but businesses can refuse service for no reason stated. Of course, if the refused customer has a bone to pick I'm sure it can be taken up in court and pursued to dig deeper. Truth be told, if a business did not want to serve me, I would rather them refuse and let me leave as opposed to them doing something vile to my drink or meal. Its a dirty messy world.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you work at this point, but if a black person were to walk in, and if you were to refuse to serve him while you continued to conduct business with other customers, you would end up having a big legal problem on your hands. Thank God for that. It wasn't always that way. It IS now.
Thankfully, where I work now, I don't interact with the customers at all. But I have worked at places where people think that just because they've spent a lot of money in that business that every employee needs to drop whatever customer they were working with to serve them.

They're not special either...no matter how much they've spent there in the past. This sense of entitlement is the worst thing I've ever seen in my years of employment in the customer service arena.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Bars refuse people service for a number of reasons. You probably can't walk into Sardi's in jeans and a T-shirt, and get service--they can refuse to serve you.
You added this after I had already responded to you.

Bars can refuse to serve alcohol to anyone at any given time. We're not talking about serving alcohol anywhere in this thread. That is a completely different set of laws and circumstances. Alcohol laws are for a thread much different than this one.

As for walking into Sardi's in jeans and a t-shirt, nobody was talking about that. Nice try. We're talking about people walking into a business dressed appropriately and not creating a disruption. You can't expect to get away with denying service to them without having a fight on your hands, and it's a fight you will ultimately lose.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Thankfully, where I work now, I don't interact with the customers at all. But I have worked at places where people think that just because they've spent a lot of money in that business that every employee needs to drop whatever customer they were working with to serve them.

They're not special either...no matter how much they've spent there in the past. This sense of entitlement is the worst thing I've ever seen in my years of employment in the customer service arena.
And yet, you still don't see that the person with entitlement issues... IS YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies