Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Wow.

We have social conservatives here and on the other end social liberals.

And we have small government Libertarians but we never here much from their polar opposites...social and economic Statists.

That's about the most Statist opinion I've ever heard on CD. Compelling a mom and pop business to do business with the Grand Dragon of the KKK....LOL.

Double WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A person's political views are not a problem for you. A drunk and disorderly patron is. We had a thing here where a tire shop owner told some lady that he would not sell her a new tire or change the flat one unless she removed an Obama sticker from her car. This kind of crap needs to be outlawed. Do you think, for example, the phone company or the electric company should be able to refuse to serve a business they don't like? Should they be able to say "oh, we are Republican so we will not provide electric power or phones to any Democrats"??
I see a cop as a problem waiting to happen. Because they're bullies, and try to force people to live within a certain mandated set of actions.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
WTF?

Of course if some gangsta comes in to hold up the place, officer Crooker might be welcomed.

Progressivism run amok.

"....Crooker, 36, a 2-year veteran of the force, entered the Red & Black Café on May 18 and bought a cup of coffee before a customer approached him and said she appreciated his efforts.

That's when John Langley, one of the co-owners of the collectively managed shop, approached the cop and asked him to leave...."

"The coffee shop attracts homeless individuals and activists, the newspaper reported, and Wheat said it is known to be "not friendly" to officers who work the area.

"Most officers would know that this is not a coffee shop that's friendly to police," she said. "It's obviously discrimination to police. He works that area and he can't go in for a cup of coffee -- it's not fair."...

FOXNews.com - Oregon Police Officer Asked to Leave Vegan Coffee Shop
When that vegan coffee shop gets robbed some day by some crackhead, the police should not have to respond. Simple!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah, they'll club the perps with celery stalks.
lol

Old 06-05-2010, 01:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
We've had a lot of police brutality incidents in Portland. Our police chief was just fired for mismanaging the department. The Portland Police are continually on the defensive due to several unanswered murders over the past few years: The Portland Police Bureau has settled many of these murders out of court which has cost the tax payers millions in settlement payments. One example: shooting an unarmed young black man who was shot in the back by a Portland officer with a rifle during a standoff in late January. The individual was murdered by a trigger happy Police Officer who experienced very little recourse for his actions. The Portland community cried out for Portland Police Bureau reform and Aaron Campbell’s death sparked a protest march on City Hall and a confrontation with Adams by leaders of Portland’s black community, followed by a visit from the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who called the police shooting “an execution.”After several murders and protest the Portland Mayor was forced to make a change. Crooker didn't take the incident because he knows what this all about. BTW - unlike some other cities, a murder is a big deal here. Our local news usually focuses on animal abuse. LOL.
james chasse | OregonLive.com
Portland Police Chief Fired (http://myoregon.org/portland-police-chief-fired/ - broken link)

Your version of these stories is just not true. I suggest everyone interested should read the police accounts of these incidents. In the case of the "unarmed black man," his FAMILY called the police telling them that he had a gun and that they were very concerned about him and to please stop him. The 911 call was played on the news. The police had every reason to believe he had a gun, and he reached into the back of his trousers as if he were pulling a gun. He wanted to be shot, he wanted the police to shoot him, and he is probably down in hell right now laughing that the police are catching such flack for doing their jobs.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Wow.

We have social conservatives here and on the other end social liberals.

And we have small government Libertarians but we never here much from their polar opposites...social and economic Statists.

That's about the most Statist opinion I've ever heard on CD. Compelling a mom and pop business to do business with the Grand Dragon of the KKK....LOL.
If the Grand Wizard walks into your business dressed in sheets, you are certainly within your rights to tell him to get the hell out. But if he walks in as a normal person and you just happen to know he is the Grand Dragon, you should have no right not to serve him. He has a right to his political views even if they are stupid and abhorrent.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If the Grand Wizard walks into your business dressed in sheets, you are certainly within your rights to tell him to get the hell out. But if he walks in as a normal person and you just happen to know he is the Grand Dragon, you should have no right not to serve him. He has a right to his political views even if they are stupid and abhorrent.
True... and freedom of assembly too.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:28 PM

369 posts, read 681,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
We've had a lot of police brutality incidents in Portland. Our police chief was just fired for mismanaging the department. The Portland Police are continually on the defensive due to several unanswered murders over the past few years: The Portland Police Bureau has settled many of these murders out of court which has cost the tax payers millions in settlement payments. One example: shooting an unarmed young black man who was shot in the back by a Portland officer with a rifle during a standoff in late January. The individual was murdered by a trigger happy Police Officer who experienced very little recourse for his actions. The Portland community cried out for Portland Police Bureau reform and Aaron Campbell’s death sparked a protest march on City Hall and a confrontation with Adams by leaders of Portland’s black community, followed by a visit from the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who called the police shooting “an execution.”After several murders and protest the Portland Mayor was forced to make a change. Crooker didn't take the incident because he knows what this all about. BTW - unlike some other cities, a murder is a big deal here. Our local news usually focuses on animal abuse. LOL.
james chasse | OregonLive.com
Portland Police Chief Fired (http://myoregon.org/portland-police-chief-fired/ - broken link)
So when are you, your friends, and your family going to start applying and get on the department to make a change from within? Let me guess, never? I love those citizens who complain about their local PD, then turn right around and refuse to do the job, and have no problem steer their kids, friends, and other family members away from the job.

Newsflash folks: No one is born a police officer. Your local PD is a representation of only those folks in your area (and more and more, outside your area) who were _willing_ to even work the job. Maybe if more citizens would sign up, changes would be made from within??

If an incident like this happened in Indiana, those individual cops couldn't respond to this place to take a report _unless_ the owner and/or an agent of the owner revoked their denial of entry. Under Indiana law, once a person has been denied entry to a place, they can't go back unless the owner and/or agent of the owner rescinds that denial. My guess is that the cops would get a pass _only_ if there is an _ongoing_ threat to life or crime in progress. If I were kicked out of an establishment by the owner, and got a call from a customer who reports the business and some customers were just robbed, that the robber has fled, and no one is hurt, I would tell the customer that unless the owner rescinds my ban from their property, I will have to meet them on the sidewalk for the report.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Your version of these stories is just not true. I suggest everyone interested should read the police accounts of these incidents. In the case of the "unarmed black man," his FAMILY called the police telling them that he had a gun and that they were very concerned about him and to please stop him. The 911 call was played on the news. The police had every reason to believe he had a gun, and he reached into the back of his trousers as if he were pulling a gun. He wanted to be shot, he wanted the police to shoot him, and he is probably down in hell right now laughing that the police are catching such flack for doing their jobs.

Portland police documents detail Aaron Campbell's shooting | OregonLive.com

Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Why would I read the police version if I want an unbiased opinion? I read the grand jury's statement. They concluded the shooting never should have taken place. A month or so ago, local news showed four cops stomping on a teenage girl at the Max Station. There are different opinions surrounding this shooting. Because mine differs from yours, doesn't make it untrue.
Clip:
We feel that his death
resulted from flawed police policies, incomplete or inappropriate training, incomplete
communication, and other issues with the police effort. We feel strongly that
something must be done to correct this, and the Portland Police Bureau (PPB) should
be held responsible for this tragedy. The office standing next to accused office saw no gun either. There are many opinions about this case.

Statement of Grand Jury:
Aaron Campbell Grand Jury Letter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies