Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As I see more and more TV of the Brown Pelicans covered in oil and unable to move or fly, I am of the opinion that these birds cannot be saved but we should think about having a humane program to fly over and shoot them with shot guns. Normally I would find such a thing to be aborrent but I think that it would be more humane to kill them then to just let them drown in oil or wither away to a slow agonizing death. What do you think?
You have clean the oil from their feathers BEFORE you shoot them.
They won't taste that good if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Why waste a good bullet? These are effin pelicans. Why does everyone get so melty when some dramatic pics are shown in the media. It's not like they are someone's pets! Yesterday, I ran over a squirrel...not intentionally...but because the thing darted towards my car while I was doing 40+ mph. I tried to swerve, but no luck for the thing. So, I just kept driving (and ran across 2 other dead squirrels and a skunk in my 50 mile drive to work.) Sometimes I even see dead deer smashed on the road, probably from a collision with an 18-wheeler.

It's ok to be disgusted by the BP oil disaster, but cleaning pelicans???? Are they even creatures that would permit humans to do so? You can't save the world.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Why waste a good bullet? These are effin pelicans. Why does everyone get so melty when some dramatic pics are shown in the media. It's not like they are someone's pets! Yesterday, I ran over a squirrel...not intentionally...but because the thing darted towards my car while I was doing 40+ mph. It's ok to be disgusted by the BP oil disaster, but cleaning pelicans???? Are they even creatures that would permit humans to do so? You can't save the world.

I love animals. I'm sincerely glad I don't think like you.

Anyway, here's a video of one of the oiled pelicans being washed:

Keith Thomson: How to Clean an Oil-Coated Pelican (VIDEO)

Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Why waste a good bullet? These are effin pelicans. Why does everyone get so melty when some dramatic pics are shown in the media. It's not like they are someone's pets! Yesterday, I ran over a squirrel...not intentionally...but because the thing darted towards my car while I was doing 40+ mph. It's ok to be disgusted by the BP oil disaster, but cleaning pelicans???? Are they even creatures that would permit humans to do so? You can't save the world.
All animals are part of cycles within a chain. Remove a part of the chain and the cycle breaks.

You should have learned that one a long time ago in science/biology class.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 PM

There will be plenty of pelicans elsewhere. And some (if not most) will still survive in The Gulf region!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
This is ridiculous. We caused this mess. The VERY LEAST we can do is try to save every last one of them with every means necessary regardless of the what the projected survival rate is. We owe it to the wildlife we share this planet with.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:26 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Flickr: IBRRC's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibrrc - broken link)

Obviously OP, these birds can be saved if brought in quickly. I fear the new hatchlings could not survive the trauma though.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
This is ridiculous. We caused this mess. The VERY LEAST we can do is try to save every last one of them with every means necessary regardless of the what the projected survival rate is. We owe it to the wildlife we share this planet with.
YOU may have caused this mess...I surely had no hand in it. Bad things happen in the world...always have since it's creation. And the world adapted. To answer the OP's original question...there's no need to go shooting pelicans to put them out of their misery, IMO.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
YOU may have caused this mess...I surely had no hand in it. Bad things happen in the world...always have since it's creation. And the world adapted. No need to go shooting pelicans to put them out of their misery, IMO.
That doesn't mean we can't step in and help them instead of leaving them to die by poison/suffocation.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM

From an article dated May 19th...

So far, no brown pelicans are known to have died from causes related to the spill. That's likely to change if the oil fouls their nesting and feeding grounds along coastal and barrier islands, officials with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service say.

The plight of Louisiana's state bird is emblematic of dangers the disaster poses for the region's wildlife.

"I would not say there's going to be any species wiped out because of it, but it's a very serious situation," said Bob Love, coastal resources administrator for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

La.'s state bird, brown pelican, imperiled by oil - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100519/ap_on_re_us/us_oil_spill_brown_pelicans - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies