Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times

Advertisements

a lot of people settled for sub standard living, and called it prosperity. I see many of them selling their tube sox at yard sales, now, rather than giving them to charity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We will recover but it may not be to what we were.
Everything in life is cyclic. If you think of history as cyclic instead of linear then we may be coming to the end of one cycle but then we'll begin another. It may not be as good as what we had but we will adjust.

History shows that all major empires and nations survived one way or another after either sudden or prolonged events.
Cyclic, yes. WE call it the "Wheel of Dharma" Mayan's called it a "calendar of cycles". Each time the wheel goes around, the ground rules change, the playing field is adjusted and the players assume different positions. In the end, only compassion for the human condition trancends the Wheel. But I'm afraid that may be thousands of revolutions in the future.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
a lot of people settled for sub standard living, and called it prosperity. I see many of them selling their tube sox at yard sales, now, rather than giving them to charity...
You got any jumbo pak, tube socks you want to sell? I'm buying and I live close.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Humpf. Even charities these days won't take anything in the underwear family. Including socks. Everyone is getting a little picky.

And you're right about the sub standard living.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I think all civilizations reach a climax, and then crash into oblivion shortly after. We reached our climax, and now we are going down from here. I'm not even talking specifically US, but globally as well. I think the best days are behind us and I see no reason for encouragement.

You have a broken economic system globally with countries bankrupt. You have worn out citizens who are just tired and will go along with anything. You have disaster after disaster, man made and globally of epic proportions.

I just don't see how we recover, and I don't expect that we will. These jobs that are gone will not come back and no new jobs are being created. Expect more chaos. I don't think changes in leadership will do anything, as I have stated that what's done is done, and now we have to just let it happen and deal with the consequences.
tropolis !!! ...

A most interesting post indeed !

Your words of great dispair regarding America are shared by many good folks !

For far too long I have heard similar disheartening statements form American Citizens whom are deeply concerned about this nations future !

It appears without a doubt that America is in a rapid state of decline not only at home but also on the global scene !

It is also most likely that the pitiful "Career Politicians" in D. C. and elsewhere will never ever do anything except conspire against each other, remain deeply involved in corruption, and totally ignore the will of the American People !

Even the small minds among us can plainly understand that unless a most drastic and resolute change takes place ASAP within America .....
we shall be in a very short time as they say "Gone With The Wind".

Unite the "Patriotic American People" under one banner and re-establish all the great principals that have made this the absolute greatest nation on the face of the earth.

Yes you see it's the re-establishment of our once coveted "National Pride" ... "Honor" ... "Patriotism" ... & "Order" that will provide the overpowering catalyst for "We The People" ...to put "America's House In Order" !

NO ... It will not be easy ! Do most American's feel that our beloved nation is worth the hardships and the sacrifices to restore it to it's lofty position at the very top once again and for the long term ???
May we hope the answer to this most profound question is ... YES !!!

America for too many decades has not had the desperately needed "effective, experienced, and dedicated political leadership" that is an absolute requirement for the continuing success of this "Greatest Of All Nations" ! ... And we can all damn well see the disaterous results of such inept and foolish leadership !

We may have only one more chance in 2012 to effect the political change that must be made to ensure the survival of the America we so dearly cherish !

Thats right folks ..... AMERICA, LOVE IT OR LOSE IT" !!!

May America's best days be just ahead ! SO Mote It Be !!!

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I agree...if Americans would stop blaming this person, that person...etc. and take responsibility for their own failures, our country would be much stronger.....I think people today are way lazier than they were in the 20's, 30's and 40's.....Americans love to play the victim role...instead of making things better. In the old days people would do just about anything to put food on the table, now people are way too picky about what job they will accept....we're spoiled.
Your exactly right and to the point. Things are not going to get easier, and people have gotten lazier, as long as there are those who accept and demand those things that most don't take for granted, what do we expect, we created this. Some feel they are entitled, without working, some feel they are entitled, never having to work, as long as there is this mentality, we have created this mess.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
We will find a "new normal".

Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Have no fear...Obama is here! We're well on our way to Utopia according to some of the die-hard Bots' on CD.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Have no fear...Obama is here! We're well on our way to Utopia according to some of the die-hard Bots' on CD.

YouTube - Obama: Born On Krypton

Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM

107 posts, read 91,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I think all civilizations reach a climax, and then crash into oblivion shortly after. We reached our climax, and now we are going down from here. I'm not even talking specifically US, but globally as well. I think the best days are behind us and I see no reason for encouragement.

You have a broken economic system globally with countries bankrupt. You have worn out citizens who are just tired and will go along with anything. You have disaster after disaster, man made and globally of epic proportions.

I just don't see how we recover, and I don't expect that we will. These jobs that are gone will not come back and no new jobs are being created. Expect more chaos. I don't think changes in leadership will do anything, as I have stated that what's done is done, and now we have to just let it happen and deal with the consequences.
You make many good points. They are internalized, however, and exist only in your mind. I offer as your "way out" that you toss yourself into the dustbin of history and let better people carry on in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies