Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Not to be rude but I'm wondering if you get out much?
He described what is happening and how can you isinuate that it is not???
What will happen here when people can no longer use their credit cards?
When the government "credit card" is maxed out?
Exactly.

The social safety net that is in place is the only thing keeping serious social unrest at bay. And we know that that social safety net is borrowed money. We've got problems none of us have ever seen if/when our account is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:20 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is a strange condition. The very people being victimized the most, are the ones supporting the victimizers. The Conservatives are constantly complaining that half the population pays no taxes. Rather than ask why that is, they condemn those in that situation. More and more people are getting in that situation. Why can so many working people, not be able to earn enough to have a tax bill? Natural result is that those that do earn enough, have to shoulder the tax burden. The solution is not to continue the distribution of income to the wealthy, we need to get back to a position of more widespread wealth, to a time when most people actually had a tax bill. Now the decry that thought as Communism, I don't see it as that, I see it as what America used to be, fair.
Very well said, sir.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
good post. we are in fact in decline.
the notion that we can simply tweak the stats and the market with debt and rocket back into the race of affluence ignores economic fundamentals. reaganomics which obama toots as reality was false economics taught by a fake economist. debt is not meaningless. basic economic money supply theory- never taught that debt was meaningless- ever.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,739,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Over population is the biggest problem facing humans...it could well be time for a thinning out.

What the heck r u suggesting? How would you ' thin out' perhaps murder?
I can honestly see why we humans have problems.
We call ourselves civilized, ha.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post

What the heck r u suggesting? How would you ' thin out' perhaps murder?
I can honestly see why we humans have problems.
We call ourselves civilized, ha.
I guess some think a good war is needed, apparently, two isn't enough.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Any water probelms are pretty easily dealt with if they try. Even a dessert country can do it with the technology available today. Might want to stop over producing crops also that we don't need. Wouldn't hurt the american belt line either.There is a problem of too mnay with 20th century or no work skills in the 21st cnetury but even now 90% are doing fine really even in this recession. I would ahte to see the Op opinion f he had lived in the great depression;WWI or WWII era.
There was a good reason why the Sunbelt had a much lower population in the first half of the twentieth century than it does today. The amount of population that area of the US can support is limited.

California's population in 1940 was one quarter of what it is today (and a much higher percentage of that population was in the north and less affected by water issues). Arizona's population in 1940 was only 5% of what it is today. Nevada had the lowest population of any US state in 1940.

If those states still had small populations, there would be far less to worry about than today.

Also, where will the money to solve the water problems and other aspects of climate change come from?

Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 AM

293 posts, read 570,326 times
OP your post is something to really think about. I do not think that a lot of people in society understand how bad things are in this country right now. My law firm does bankruptcy work and there has been a serious increase in the number of husband/wife filings in my area. A lot of these people are hard working everyday Americans like you and I who because of an illness a lot of the time or less hours from work have fell behind.

All one has to do is look at the posts here to see that we may have already lost. How often do you read posts that say "they are just lazy...they do not want to work...etc...?" I am willing to bet these same people who are making these statements have not sat down and looked at another person's finances or have had to listen to the stories of cancer sinking a household. These things happen a lot more than people think.

But hey, voting Obama out of office in 2012 is going to solve everything, even though this crap has been building since 1913. The tea party movement is the answer to it all. While we sit back and pledge our allegiance to our "camps" (Tea Party, Democrats, Republicans) the people who put us in the position we are in today are laughing their azzes off.

For anyone who wants to educate themselves on how we got here and what needs to be done going forward, pick up a copy of Louis Brandeis' book Other People's Money and How the Bankers Use It (pay special attention to page 32) and G. Edward Griffin's book The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve.

The answer to freeing this country, and the world for that matter, lies with fixing the banks! But since they work under the cloak of darkness and their actions are not easily seen, we focus our attention on trying to prove the other "camp" wrong...sad.

If you think that I am wrong about the "camps" just take a day and look at the types of links posted by the same old tired posters on here trying to one up the other "camp."

Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I think all civilizations reach a climax, and then crash into oblivion shortly after. We reached our climax, and now we are going down from here. I'm not even talking specifically US, but globally as well. I think the best days are behind us and I see no reason for encouragement.

You have a broken economic system globally with countries bankrupt. You have worn out citizens who are just tired and will go along with anything. You have disaster after disaster, man made and globally of epic proportions.

I just don't see how we recover, and I don't expect that we will. These jobs that are gone will not come back and no new jobs are being created. Expect more chaos. I don't think changes in leadership will do anything, as I have stated that what's done is done, and now we have to just let it happen and deal with the consequences.

Don't be pessimistic,cheer up...

I believe the 2010s will be like the 1970s...

Stock market down,unemployment,high taxation,dissatisfaction...

A new lost decade...

It is sad but not the end of the world...

We shall overcome...

Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM

531 posts, read 337,980 times
I think the problem is that we are spoiled..... If we want to survive as a culture we need to stop being such consumers and we need to start seeing a roof over are head and hot food on the table as enough.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I think all civilizations reach a climax, and then crash into oblivion shortly after. We reached our climax, and now we are going down from here. I'm not even talking specifically US, but globally as well. I think the best days are behind us and I see no reason for encouragement.

You have a broken economic system globally with countries bankrupt. You have worn out citizens who are just tired and will go along with anything. You have disaster after disaster, man made and globally of epic proportions.

I just don't see how we recover, and I don't expect that we will. These jobs that are gone will not come back and no new jobs are being created. Expect more chaos. I don't think changes in leadership will do anything, as I have stated that what's done is done, and now we have to just let it happen and deal with the consequences.
I say flip some seats in congress and get rid of the career politicians who are in the pockets of special interest groups, that's the beginning of the battle right there. Let's get into their silk purses and out of ours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies