Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM

268 posts, read 453,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It isn't about that. What about your emails? What about your credit card and banking info? Giving them permission to do this is tantamount to letting the police come in and search your house without a bonified warrant "because you have nothing to hide". It is the same attitude the neocon Republicans had after 911... willing to let the govt spy on them and being willing to hand over ALL their Constitutional rights that the Patriot Act took away so that they might track down a few terrorists.

Instead in case you haven't noticed, ever since the Patriot Act passed and Homeland Security got started we've endured far more disadvantages than advantages. Let's not CONTINUE to be SO NAIVE and CONTINUE to TRUST big corporations or the government when they don't deserve it and CERTAINLY are not acting in our best interests.

In case you haven't noticed, Microsoft ISN'T the government. That's a thick line to drag your feet across there. Microsoft is a Corporation that sells a product. If, when selling this product, they like to make sure you're not downloading their other products illegally with the help of their own products, they're more than welcome to do so. Imagine it like a convenience store installing security cameras. You don't like to be on tape? Shop somewhere else.

Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Just a heads up!

"Who should your computer take its orders from?
Most people think their computers should obey them, not obey someone else. Yet, with a plan they call "trusted computing" and software they call Windows Genuine Advantage, Microsoft and others are planning to make your next computer obey them instead of you, and this has serious consequences for your privacy.
Microsoft's Genuine Disadvantage"

Windows 7 Sins — The case against Microsoft and proprietary software

I for one am reviewing the Windows updates I have installed on my computer and will uninstall some of the ones that address "credentialling". These credentialling updates do NOTHING to protect you. Microsoft fully explains what they are and what they do on the update descriptions. What they do is simply enable Microsoft and other companies that want to "opt-in" to come in, search around on your computer to make sure all your various software is properly "registered" etc and probably a lot more things and spy on you.

For example, here are two "important" updates I chose not to install:

Microsoft Security Advisory (973811): Extended Protection for Authentication

#973811:
Version: 1.4
Microsoft is announcing the availability of a new feature, Extended Protection for Authentication, on the Windows platform. This feature enhances the protection and handling of credentials when authenticating network connections using Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA).
The update itself does not directly provide protection against specific attacks such as credential forwarding, but allows applications to opt-in to Extended Protection for Authentication. This advisory briefs developers and system administrators on this new functionality and how it can be deployed to help protect authentication credentials........................
You can escape all this by not using Windows. GET AN I-MAC.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Years ago I was still very concerned about privacy etc. But I have simply grown tired of all that paranoia that had made me install all kinds of add-ons etc. It all reached a level that made using the Internet a nuisance.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
If you've updated it's there. You can't uninstall it, it will always be there in some form. Apple is just as bad and if not more so than MS. Don't trust either one.

It's your choice...the blue pill or the red one.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:54 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Great post, Emily.

This has been going on since the introduction of Windows XP and most people have paid no attention to it. Windows 2000 is the last Microsoft OS without the activation requirement and without WGA, except for when requesting certain updates as I understand it.

That is why I run Windows 2000 and refuse to go any further with Microsoft. I have been outraged by Microsoft's snooping for nearly 10 years, but thus far few have seemed at all concerned. An unfortunate trend in these times, as seen in the post (above) made as I was writing this.
Does having an older windows operating system mean you have to use it on an older slower computer and therefore sacrifice speed? That is the one thing I wouldn't want to give up but I am getting to the point where I might just do that. I recently decided to upgrade a current laptop rather than buy a new computer which would have come with Win7 on it whether I wanted it or not. Not wanting to be forced into Win7 I just upgraded RAM and hard disk space as much as I could and will make do.

Hopefully Americans will come to their senses and insist that the routine of forced upgrades, updates (which don't protect you at all) and discontinuation of service for older operating systems be stopped by the computer and software industry.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
More about Microsoft, if you use MS Security Essentials, just FYI:

MS Security Essentials Privacy Policy
Microsoft may access or disclose information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (a) comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the services; or (c) act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public. We may also disclose personal information as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.
I'm not surprised. That is why they are now giving it away for FREE. You pay for it by giving them permission to spy on you and then use the info they collect to sell to others.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Microsoft ISN'T the government. That's a thick line to drag your feet across there. Microsoft is a Corporation that sells a product. If, when selling this product, they like to make sure you're not downloading their other products illegally with the help of their own products, they're more than welcome to do so. Imagine it like a convenience store installing security cameras. You don't like to be on tape? Shop somewhere else.

Get over it.
Baloney.

It is like the convenience store installing security cameras IN YOUR HOME.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM

268 posts, read 453,987 times
Quote:
Baloney.

It is like the convenience store installing security cameras IN YOUR HOME.

Let me rephrase this.

If you use a Windows Operating System, it is because you chose to do so. Microsoft didn't install a free PC in your living room. You put it there.

Now I'm going to go find a different brick wall with a brighter shade of red to beat my head against.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter.

Are running XP or newer? If so, WGA is regularly searching your hard drive and reporting back to MS whenever you are online.
Win2000--is that newer or older than XP?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
Let me rephrase this.

If you use a Windows Operating System, it is because you chose to do so. Microsoft didn't install a free PC in your living room. You put it there.

Now I'm going to go find a different brick wall with a brighter shade of red to beat my head against.
You see, all my software is legal and provably so. So, Microsoft, Apple, et al. can go knock themselves out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies