Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Does having an older windows operating system mean you have to use it on an older slower computer and therefore sacrifice speed? That is the one thing I wouldn't want to give up but I am getting to the point where I might just do that. I recently decided to upgrade a current laptop rather than buy a new computer which would have come with Win7 on it whether I wanted it or not. Not wanting to be forced into Win7 I just upgraded RAM and hard disk space as much as I could and will make do.

Hopefully Americans will come to their senses and insist that the routine of forced upgrades, updates (which don't protect you at all) and discontinuation of service for older operating systems be stopped by the computer and software industry.
Absolutely not. I run Windows 2000 on my P4 3.2 GHZ home-built machine and it does everything that I want it to as well or better and as fast or faster than any later MS OS version. The only thing it won't do is run newer applications designed specifically by marketing people to require OS "upgrades". But there is nothing requiring XP or newer that I need to run. And to the best of my knowledge Windows 2000 will run on any of the very latest processors as well.

Example - I dumped MS Internet Explorer long ago and went to Firefox. I run Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows 2000 fast and flawlessly. But MS Internet Explorer version 7 or later will not run on Windows 2000 - purely a Microsoft marketing scheme to get you to "upgrade" your OS.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 06-06-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Microsoft ISN'T the government. That's a thick line to drag your feet across there. Microsoft is a Corporation that sells a product. If, when selling this product, they like to make sure you're not downloading their other products illegally with the help of their own products, they're more than welcome to do so. Imagine it like a convenience store installing security cameras. You don't like to be on tape? Shop somewhere else.

Get over it.
I don't understand your attitude AT ALL! Do you LIKE being spied on? Don't you like FREEDOM and LIBERTY?

Microsoft is NOT the government correct BUT THE GOVERNMENT LETS THEM DO IT. It is called FASCISM where big business like the BANKS and big corporations COLLUDE with the government. The average American gains NOTHING from putting up with it.

https://www.truthout.org/1984-2010-h...americans56974

Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
Let me rephrase this.

If you use a Windows Operating System, it is because you chose to do so. Microsoft didn't install a free PC in your living room. You put it there.

Now I'm going to go find a different brick wall with a brighter shade of red to beat my head against.
Good idea.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Win2000--is that newer or older than XP?
XP came out in 2001, so it is newer. Windows 2000 is the last MS release before it became Big Brother and unconcerned about its reputation with customers.

I have been using computers for about 28 years and liked and supported Microsoft until they released XP.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I went MAC and ain't never going back.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:22 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,078,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
You can always hit up linux, but its installation is not as user friendly as Windows.
Many versions of Linux are even more user friendly than Windows. They are quicker and easier to install, they run faster than Windows, software is free etc...

Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
Mac book wheel would require a new mac brain for most people. Macforget it.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Meaning their regular searches of your computer have passed their authentication test.

So....since you have nothing to hide, I'm sure you won't mind my searching your home on a daily basis. Please have receipts ready for inspection to prove ownership of all its contents.
LOL! EXACTLY! This is where we are headed and all the people who say "I don't have anything to hide " aren't helping preserve and protect our liberties in what used to be a FREE country.

You guys with this attitude probably don't even realize the disrespect you are showing to our veterans who gave their lives for our FREEDOM. They probably roll over in their graves every time an American says "I don't care, I don't have anything to hide."

The LEAST you could do is support those of us who DO VALUE our privacy and protections under the Constitution by not being so willing to give yours up...since it won't change your lifestyle any if you retain your freedom.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Apple computer I'm sure is just as obsessed about control as Microsoft if not more so. For Pete Sakes, the other day on the news a lady who had brought in $600 cash to an Apple Computer store to buy an Ipad was not able to buy the computer. They REJECTED her cash! Imagine that.

Apple Store REFUSED To Take Cash For iPad, Woman Says (VIDEO)

Apple computers are also not immune from viruses. They just get different ones than PCs do according to Kim Komando, the national talk host and computer whiz.
Are you sure about that? They could well be doing things I'm unaware of, but I haven't heard that they have an equivalent to WGA. If they do, please fill me in.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM

268 posts, read 453,784 times
Quote:
I don't understand your attitude AT ALL! Do you LIKE being spied on? Don't you like FREEDOM and LIBERTY?

Microsoft is NOT the government correct BUT THE GOVERNMENT LETS THEM DO IT. It is called FASCISM where big business like the BANKS and big corporations COLLUDE with the government. The average American gains NOTHING from putting up with it.

https://www.truthout.org/1984-2010-h...americans56974
Paranoia much?

I'm going to put this really simple like.

Microsoft isn't spying on you.

They simply have software that checks specific programs on your computer to make sure they are legitimate and purchased legally. Other developers can opt-in for this service, to better insure that their intellectual property is more widely protected from thieves.

Microsoft does not use a keylogger to maintain your personal information. The only information they have on you is the information you provide to them when you register their product. The registering of products and supplying a company with semi-personal information (address, full name, etc) is not a grand scheme created by the Microsoft devil to steal your personal liberties. People have been registering their products with companies far longer than Microsoft ever thought to do it. Not to mention, Microsoft shares far less information about you than their main competitor, Apple.

Your sheer alarm shows exactly how little you know about Microsoft's OS and computers in general.

If that alone can't help you then I have nothing left to say. But seriously, Microsoft isn't spying on you. They have better things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies