Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
And THAT is the part that concerns me. I too, when I was employed (and hope to be again) paid about a 48% tax rate. It bugs the life out of me, but I figured that it is part and parcel of having the luxury of calling the US home. I know that it went to fund SS payments, defense, education, etc.

Being part of the middle class, I knew that the wealthy receive very good tax breaks, but had hoped that at some point (maybe during the new administration) that those would be cut out. I also knew the poor or those on public assistance would not pay taxes on their income - but thought they at least had to file.

I am not talking about corporations since I believed this statistic to apply only to individual tax filers/tax payers.

I guess I was shocked at pretty much being an idiot in doing the right thing (the legal thing!) and paying an astronomical tax rate - but assuming that at least everyone else was filing THEIR returns - even if they had tax breaks I did not qualify for.
I don't want to disagree with most of your post but must tell you that in order to get any kind of refund one has to file a return. No return, no refund is the way it is supposed to be.

One other part of your post I have to take exception with is the part about SS payments. I am sure that you know that every worker "gets" to pay into the SS fund. Well now for about 60 years Congress has been spending the part that was left after the year's SS costs had been met. Therefore, all that "surplus" that should have been left got spent every year, however we are just getting to the place where SS payments won't meet needs. That would have only been one or two years if not for this recession and all the unemployment.

Anyway, if the Congress had kept their dirty paws off that "surplus" and let it accumulate like was originally intended we would have over $3 trillion in that fund. To call SS payments something coming from the Treasury is to misunderstand the whole thing. That "surplus", as Congress called it, should have been put in a lock box from the start and we wouldn't have all this noise about SS. Old FDR's Braintrust was not made up of idiots, but they were followed by lots of that kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Yes, on the back of a 1040 it does say "amount overpaid".

It can be much higher than what you actually paid in.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
You can call it an overpayment if it makes you feel better but typically it's because the employer applied a standard withholding rate and did not account for the different tax credits that each different employee could claim.
And how many new accountant types would many employers have to hire to do what you talk about? You are right but it is calling of too much of those employers. Those tax regs are a deep jungle.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't want to disagree with most of your post but must tell you that in order to get any kind of refund one has to file a return. No return, no refund is the way it is supposed to be.

One other part of your post I have to take exception with is the part about SS payments. I am sure that you know that every worker "gets" to pay into the SS fund. Well now for about 60 years Congress has been spending the part that was left after the year's SS costs had been met. Therefore, all that "surplus" that should have been left got spent every year, however we are just getting to the place where SS payments won't meet needs. That would have only been one or two years if not for this recession and all the unemployment.

Anyway, if the Congress had kept their dirty paws off that "surplus" and let it accumulate like was originally intended we would have over $3 trillion in that fund. To call SS payments something coming from the Treasury is to misunderstand the whole thing. That "surplus", as Congress called it, should have been put in a lock box from the start and we wouldn't have all this noise about SS. Old FDR's Braintrust was not made up of idiots, but they were followed by lots of that kind.
I am self employed and chose not to pay into SS.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
Quote:

Thanks Roysoldboy - I stand corrected and appreciate it on the SS payments.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am self employed and chose not to pay into SS.
You had a better tax preparer than I did when I was self-employed. Mine kept telling me that I had to pay SS tax, like it or not.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:11 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Quote:
And how many new accountant types would many employers have to hire to do what you talk about? You are right but it is calling of too much of those employers. Those tax regs are a deep jungle.
I don't expect them to. I just saying I believe that most 'overpayments' and refunds are caused by applying tax credits as opposed to too high a withholding rate.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You had a better tax preparer than I did when I was self-employed. Mine kept telling me that I had to pay SS tax, like it or not.
I have been though two audits. This came up both times. I was fine.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Tax discussions always remind me of this.

YouTube - Paying income tax in America is Voluntary

Old 06-06-2010, 03:26 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
I paid into social security when i had a paper route that the Govt thought was lucrative...lol... and i never did pay one dime to social security in my railroad career...we paid into railroad retirement another F.D.R. created government run agency.As for someone to say us tax haters are trivial ever here of the Whiskey Rebellion? The Civil War Income tax to fund the war that is still around like so much old lugage,a case of Herpes you are stuck with forever? How about the surcharge on phone bills to pay for the Spanish-American War? TOO MUCH TAX-TAX-TAX...HOW ABOUT LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS UNCLE SAM ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies