Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Could it be a backroom deal because of the bases in japan "said" they wnated closed. Could it be you give us the whale ;we will allow the Okanawa base to remain and force the japnaese PM to rsign as the escape goat in japan society.loing at the Korea situation both may have want a quick deal and both willing to give something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I was just looking at my "Nuke the Whales" poster today.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I have no problem with the Eskimos/ Inuits and other native tribes hunting whales for their livelihood.

Commercial whaling should be banned completely.
Umm, the Japanese and Norwegians have been hunting whales for centuries too, what makes the Native American claim more special? Either you are for whaling or against it, no exceptions in my book. The Makah hunt was a disgrace. No one knew how to capture the whale, and once they did the carcass rotted away on the beach.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
No drilling.....back to whale oil????
Hey, Massachusetts was the center of whale oil production. Massachusetts as the 'new' Texas.

What a horrible thought...

Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Try and stay on topic.

This is about the despicable killing of whales, which obama seems to be FOR.

What do you think of that?

Why don't you try to stay on topic?

Your thread title states: "Obama Backs Deal to Lift Global Ban on Whaling"

while the article states: "The Obama administration is leading an effort within the International Whaling Commission to lift a 24-year international ban on commercial whaling for Japan, Norway and Iceland"

Having difficulty with the concept of global or do you reallly believe the globe is graced with only three countries?

Or just being deliberately misleading in another misguided bash Obama at all costs post?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Hey, Massachusetts was the center of whale oil production. Massachusetts as the 'new' Texas.

What a horrible thought...
Hmm, I have some original Sandwich Glass whale oil lamps with their original burners, I'll be ready when New Bedford and Nantucket send out the whalers again...just kidding.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
All that is known is that it came from a Japanese market. Until and if Japan releases its DNA records it is unknown and very possible that the "research" program was the source.
Not really, it's well known there's poachers operating in Japan and other countries. The meat from the research whaling tends to be rather tightly controlled. I'm more inclined to believe the source was a poacher...

Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Umm, the Japanese and Norwegians have been hunting whales for centuries too, what makes the Native American claim more special? Either you are for whaling or against it, no exceptions in my book. The Makah hunt was a disgrace. No one knew how to capture the whale, and once they did the carcass rotted away on the beach.

The 1999 hunt by the tribe was a success and the whale did not rot, it was butchered and used. HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History

In 2007 a few members of the tribe illegally and without consent of the tribe killed a whale. It only rotted after the Coast Guard confiscated it. Don't confuse this with what the tribe is doing. Of course had the animal rights activists not interfered with complex litigation, that incident would not have happened.

Local News | Statement by the Makah Tribal Council | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're not pleased? I would think that would make conservatives happy, all of you who don't believe governments have a right to get involved in any money making venture. Less regulation is the rally call of your party, isn't it?
Thought you would be more upset. I guess your leader can truly do no wrong. There is no need to murder whales. That is what oil is for. Can't he understand that what he is doing is wrong? Don't answer that.....he can't understand reason, I know..

Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The 1999 hunt by the tribe was a success and the whale did not rot, it was butchered and used. HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History

In 2007 a few members of the tribe illegally and without consent of the tribe killed a whale. It only rotted after the Coast Guard confiscated it. Don't confuse this with what the tribe is doing. Of course had the animal rights activists not interfered with complex litigation, that incident would not have happened.

Local News | Statement by the Makah Tribal Council | Seattle Times Newspaper
I am very aware of what happened at the 1999 hunt, I was living there at the time. The whale was not butchered, a small amount was used for the ceremonial potlatch. None of the news sources stipulate what happened to the remains, for good reason. Honestly if the meat was all used, I would not be so against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies