Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And what about those people who don't?

I've eaten pretty much the same diet my entire life--since my mother didn't cook either. She was too busy working instead of doing what she should have been doing--taking care of her children. She also smoked.

I'm the picture of health, at 40. I don't have any of these diseases you mention.
I sincerly doubt that you're the picture of health if you live on mostly junk food.

My mother smoked and ate poorly her entire life, too.
She worked a 40 hour work week and didn't do much cooking.
She was always thin and very active and looked like the picture of health.
She died when she was 62. Blocked arteries.

In poor populations there is a great deal of obesity and diabetes.
Untreated, diabetes can lead to blindness and even amputations... I'm sure you know all about the disease.

Maybe you should become a cashier in a grocery store for a while. It might be an interesting job for you.

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-08-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM

159 posts, read 144,443 times
Soylent green

Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I sincerly doubt that you're the picture of health if you live on mostly junk food.

My mother smoked and ate poorly her entire life, too.
She worked a 40 hour work week and didn't do much cooking.
She was always thin and very active and looked like the picture of health.
She died when she was 62. Blocked arteries.

In poor populations there is a great deal of obesity and diabetes.
Untreated, diabetes can lead to blindness and even amputations... I'm sure you know all about the disease.

Maybe you should become a cashier in a grocery store for a while. It might be an interesting job for you.
I don't have any pulmonary or heart diseases, and I doubt I'm diabetic. I believe that one's mindset has a lot to do with how healthy one is or isn't. Or maybe I just have a naturally stronger constitution. Just to get to work, I walk two miles a day...and two miles back. That doesn't include the amount walked in the course of my work, which involves lifting large and bulky items so that the merchandise can be put on the shelf.

As far as cashiering, I did that in '94.\

EDIT: I just caught your headline on that previous post. Even if the whole pack cost $5 or $6, I can smoke one cigarette instead of eating a $5 or $6 meal.

With 20 cigarettes in a pack, that's a savings of $95 at $5 a pack and $5 a meal.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:26 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
I'm confused.... are you guys pissed because food stamp recipients are buying too much junk food? or too much luxury food?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I'm confused.... are you guys pissed because food stamp recipients are buying too much junk food? or too much luxury food?
Both by the sounds of it, not to mention the "luxury vehicles" they pack it into after.

Actually, I think there should be SOME restrictions (ala WIC program) on just what people can buy with foodstamps/EBT cards as it supposed to be a supplement to enable them to SURVIVE.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
You are incorrect. maybe 20 years ago or so, could you buy alcohol with the food part. I don't know where you get this absurd idea from, but sorry, you are the one that is in the wrong here.
Pennsylvania bill would ban use of welfare benefits to buy alcohol | - PennLive.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
In what state? At least from the 1970's on such a thing wasn't allowed in California. Even then I don't think it was allowed and instead the 70's are as far back as I can say with certainity. I honestly believe you are simply making that up.
Numerous states... Not just PA from above..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I never remember alcohol being bought with food stamps, at least legally.
There indeed was a time...

Old 06-08-2010, 03:53 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Pennsylvania bill would ban use of welfare benefits to buy alcohol | - PennLive.com

you forgot to read your own article..lol

It is talking about cash benefits not food stamps.. exactly what we have all said. which is why the article said they could still go to the atm and withdraw the cash...

Old 06-08-2010, 04:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Did you even bother to read your own link? It wasn't talking about food stamps and instead was talking about child support payments.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Did you even bother to read your own link? It wasn't talking about food stamps and instead was talking about child support payments.
it did also talk about cash benifits... child support was only part of what they were talking about...

Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
as a boy, my parents made sure i knew how to cook at least the basics by the time i was in junior high, and i got a grand champion baker ribbon at the county fair when i was 13; and over the years i've had girlfriends who couldn't cook toast.

it definitely seems like cooking is becoming a lost skill. which is a real shame, because there's no better way of stretching a scarce food dollar than using it to buy unprocessed raw food like beans, rice, eggs, chicken, etc.

You know that is sort of a good point....not that I can cook, but, many EBT customers do purchase huge amounts of frozen pizzas, dinners and prepared foods and nobodys raises and eyebrow but that stuff is not only expensive but also costly in terms of not being healthy. Heck, I'm thinking it might be cheaper if people ate more seafood in the long run
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies