Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,935,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Maybe it was a one time thing. Can't really say unless you see them doing it constantly.
I dont care if its a one time thing or not. People who act like they live in poverty, so much so that that they ask the taxpayers to pay for their food, should live like it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:08 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
It matters to me what they buy. I can't afford lobster, why should I buy someone else lobster?

In my experience, most people receiving food stamps don't actually need the assistance. So saying if they spend it all the first week, they're SOL, doesn't work. Anybody who truly relies on food stamps isn't going to buy lobster. They'll buy the cheap stuff because they don't want to starve to death. If they're just spend happy with it, it's probably because they have plenty of cash to buy food next week and so it's not a big deal.
When the food stamps are gpne, they're gone. If somone splurges and buys lobster on one occasion, it's their problem if they run out of scrip.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,671,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Maybe it was a one time thing. Can't really say unless you see them doing it constantly.
In my opinion I see it as an occasional thing.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,389,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When the food stamps are gpne, they're gone. If somone splurges and buys lobster on one occasion, it's their problem if they run out of scrip.
People sell their food stamps all the time. The whole program is rife with fraud. I have seen people pay with food stamps get behind the wheel of a car that I would never buy because it is an overpriced luxury vehicle.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What they buy is fine with me.

It is the one that ask me if I want to BUY their food stamps makes me mad.

That happens to me frequently.

They say just take the card and use it, they get $.50 on the dollar.

That is not right at all.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,253,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not quite. They can then go to the food pantries and pick up more food for free.

I donate and see quite the spectrum of types of folks who come in to pick up food. For some it's obvious they need the helping hand but for others..well I can only assume that they spend their money on other toys because they know they can get free food.

I would say the majority though do appreciate the helping hand.

There's always a few bad apples that try to game any system set up.
There seem to be alot more these days though as more seem to think it's there for the taking so why not take.

In the long run though it will hurt those that really do need and depend on food stamps and food pantries to maintain their health.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I guess thats your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

However, most rational thinking people can understand where I'm coming from.

No one needs to eat lobster. The food pyramid has a Plethora of items on each of its levels.
I am actually using lobster as an example and I do know the there are a large amount of other foods that can be purchased. You could say just say expensive seafood rather than take me so literally. Swordfish is a healthy cold water yet delicious fish.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM

268 posts, read 452,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont care if its a one time thing or not. People who act like they live in poverty, so much so that that they ask the taxpayers to pay for their food, should live like it..

Exactly. I grew up well below poverty and was given the opportunity to understand the value of a dollar at a very young age. Two brothers, two sisters and I grew up in a camper trailer while my dad went to school for the IBEW and my mom was unemployed. Needless to say, we spent a lot of time on food stamps... And it showed. We rolled tortillas from flour and water, soaked beans overnight for the next days meal, home-made bread, SOS, the works. It was a pride thing. We knew it wasn't our money, and we respected that. I was taught that you work for what you have. And my mom used to have a saying anytime anyone would complain, "Life's a B*tch."

Old 06-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Can you define how a person needs to live if they take assistance for grocery money? Should they have a separate bathroom like for colored folk?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:18 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,460,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
People sell their food stamps all the time. The whole program is rife with fraud. I have seen people pay with food stamps get behind the wheel of a car that I would never buy because it is an overpriced luxury vehicle.
You got that right, seen it on several occasions myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies