Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yes, you should sell the expensive,luxury, car if you need the government to feed your family.
It isn't based on need necessarily. It is just based on the numbers. I can pay my bills, even on unemployment. I qualify for FS, but I don't need them. So, why do I qualify for them? It is based on the average numbers. On second thought about the car, I could get a really good average car and have a lot of money left by selling the lexus.

Also, it isn't the gov't paying for anything. The gov't doesn't have any money, if you know what I mean. Also, "expensive" is relative.

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Agreed that they are not "abusing the system" - it's the system that needs to be changed. They are however abusing the spirit of what foodstamps are designed for.

If they want a cake what's wrong with buying flour, sugar & eggs and BAKING one? No-one has to buy a premade cake on foodstamps.

When someone else is footing YOUR foodbill then yes, it behoves you to spend it WISELY.

When you work and provide your OWN $$ then you may spend it as stupidly and wantonly as you wish.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Are you lumping all government employees or just state, federal or local employees? I guess that you will remember that when your house catches on fire or you get mugged in the street. If you are referencing caseworkers (state employees) I know that the ones that work in Pa are underpaid for what they have to put up with especially when the economy is bad. As a caseworker for three years I know this first hand with a caseload of 550 people. there are some folks with alot more and some with a few less but 450 was pretty much the average.
If those things happen, it's up to ME to take care of it. I don't go running off to someone else to fix it for me.

If I give a homeless guy five bucks, I can't tell him he can't spend it on beer or cigarettes. He didn't "earn" it maybe, but once it left my hand, and he had possession of it, the right to decide how to spend it falls on him.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
We had a former Minneapolis Police Chief who entered politics ( Tony Bouza) .

Regarding welfare prograns...........

He stated Republicans had accountability but no compassion.
He stated Democrats had compassion but no accountability.

He stated he was for compassion with accountability.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If those things happen, it's up to ME to take care of it. I don't go running off to someone else to fix it for me.

If I give a homeless guy five bucks, I can't tell him he can't spend it on beer or cigarettes. He didn't "earn" it maybe, but once it left my hand, and he had possession of it, the right to decide how to spend it falls on him.
apples to oranges

That homeless guy didn't have to fill out an application to get your money

Old 06-15-2010, 06:44 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
I only know one person on food stamps and he doesn't fit the profiles everyone in here is talking about. He's 60 and has Parkinsons and is unable to work. I really don't care what he buys and I'm not jealous of him. OMG he's WHITE too!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
You are assuming that these people are on FS for a long time, and I must admit MANY of them are. But, here is a question. Say things are going well and I have a lexus that I paid cash for - I know most people don't pay cash for things like this, even if they have the cash. Well, I DO, but I don't use credit. My mortgage is an exception. If I hit a down-hill financial slide that I say will last only 8 months or so and say I don't have savings. Should I sell the car I no longer have payments on for just an 8-month financial hyatus(sp)? I know this scenario sounds rediculous, you get the idea.

Charles
cps- First, I think it's awesome that you don't use credit. I think in this case, drive the Lexus baby! But the problem I would have if is someone is on public assistance, and buys an luxury car while taking tax payers money. I don't know if it's reasonable for something like to happen, but who knows.

Besides, seeing someone get behind the wheel of a luxury car right after using food stamps could also mean they don't have a car, and a very generous friend or family member let them borrow one. I guess we shouldn't make assumptions.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
apples to oranges

That homeless guy didn't have to fill out an application to get your money
I don't care if he did or not, it's the same difference. Whether it's been "earned" or not, once someone has the money, they can choose to spend it however they wish. The freedom to make bad choices must be retained, or it isn't freedom.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I still have not seen a post that supports the point that "liberals" think all welfare recipients should be given a Porsche or a Lambourghini (sp?).

Quote:
Yes, you should sell the expensive,luxury, car if you need the government to feed your family.
Selling the car (a Lexus, I believe) is not always a good financial decision. If you need a car to say, job hunt, selling one that is paid for to buy another one doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
If old folks own a house free and clear but need and can't afford assisted living facilities, welfare/govt will provide, but will put a lien on her house.

Why is your scenario special ?
The govt. (Medicaid in this case) does not pay for assisted living. It will pay for nursing home care, but only after most of your assets have been spent, and they do put a lien on your house, assuming you own one.

Quote:
We had a former Minneapolis Police Chief who entered politics ( Tony Bouza) .

Regarding welfare prograns...........

He stated Republicans had accountability but no compassion.
He stated Democrats had compassion but no accountability.

He stated he was for compassion with accountability.
How cute! Did he carry out his promise?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Actually, that scenario is more like this:

Homeless guy gets $5 but cannot buy booze or lottery.
Homeless guy takes $5 and buys booze and lottery.
Next time homeless guy needs money, you don't give it to him.

You have every right to say what the money your giving is going to go towards Otherwise, why aren't we just giving out cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies