Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
LoL, abuses do happen. Those scum hurt everyone involved. 20 people's behavior doesn't mean that every single one of the 34 million people on food assistance is a slavering scammer just waiting for their chance. Till then, they just dine on lobster and fillet mignon while laughing at the average working man!

I would say certainly more then 20 people kill each other a year with guns, and since that section abuses that to harm others...does that mean everyone who uses them responsibly should be thought of as killers? No, but cranks like to take small numbers of bad behaviors to push their agenda with anecdotal evidence.

I love these post, it's like again and again people blame the poor for existing (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100215_In_hard_times__Americans_blame_the_poor.h tml#axzz0q8KSyhyC - broken link)..."Last month, Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer of South Carolina said that when the government helps the poor, it's like people feeding stray animals that continually "breed.""

Nice try, but you are the one who called horsecrap that fraud exists. Obviously, by your link to "spotlight fallacy" you are the one with an agenda here. The fact is, people DO sell their EBT cards for .50 on the
dollar which you cried foul. You are very wrong..it is not just a rare occurrence and in this particular case just 15 stores were responsible for 3.5 million in fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Incorrect, again, up until a year or so ago, you used to be able to buy alcohol with the food part..
You are incorrect. maybe 20 years ago or so, could you buy alcohol with the food part. I don't know where you get this absurd idea from, but sorry, you are the one that is in the wrong here.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Up until a year or two ago, you used to be able to buy alcohol with the food stamps as well.. They determine based upon disclosed income into the household and number of individuals living there
In what state? At least from the 1970's on such a thing wasn't allowed in California. Even then I don't think it was allowed and instead the 70's are as far back as I can say with certainity. I honestly believe you are simply making that up.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
You are incorrect. maybe 20 years ago or so, could you buy alcohol with the food part. I don't know where you get this absurd idea from, but sorry, you are the one that is in the wrong here.
I never remember alcohol being bought with food stamps, at least legally.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I call horsecrap, largely because it's a talking point that seems often repeated by the people who go for the Welfare Queen in dog whistle politics. This is pretty much the exact same talking points you can see just search around Google on multiple sites.

Always some random anonymous person, the complainer and the person they are complaining about. Never referencing any case where these welfare abusers they hate are being prosecuted, and they can't report them or they "might lose their job".

Random anonymous stories from unknown people, that's just anecdotal evidence. Often used by cranks, pushers of quack cures, supplement marketers, propaganda promoters, and pretty much anyone else who wants people to decide in their fashion...with 0 facts for basis but tons of emotional pleas.

This is very similar to the crank stories used by (and used since) Reagan to portray those evil users, since they were all evil and waiting to scam the "good hard working folks". Those people he made those stories about never seemed to turn up either.
An excellent post and, yes, lies about supposed welfare queens (which always are found to be false) are a staple of the right wing.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How would they do that, when they have a card that the benefits are put on just like a bank card? Also, the card is programmed to allow or disallow items. Hot foods from the deli, for example--I think they're disallowed.
They've never been able to buy hot food (prepared food), alcohol, or tobacco products. Anyone who claims other wise is a liar.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Nice try, but you are the one who called horsecrap that fraud exists. Obviously, by your link to "spotlight fallacy" you are the one with an agenda here. The fact is, people DO sell their EBT cards for .50 on the
dollar which you cried foul. You are very wrong..it is not just a rare occurrence and in this particular case just 15 stores were responsible for 3.5 million in fraud.
I have an agenda? I wonder what that might be?

The spotlight fallacy is a known logical fallacy, one of the most common for cranks. Similar to sampling bias, cherry picking, ascertainment bias.

People do many things, but it doesn't mean all people do what a few do. Without knowing what that rate is, making any deductive reasoning on a small sample is lunacy or propaganda. Might as well make the claim that New Yorkers are murders then, as a homicide rate of 466 out of 19 million is much less rare then 15 of 34 million.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
An excellent post and, yes, lies about supposed welfare queens (which always are found to be false) are a staple of the right wing.
snopes.com: Sharon Jasper Section 8 Public Housing

Found one.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
They've never been able to buy hot food (prepared food), alcohol, or tobacco products. Anyone who claims other wise is a liar.
When I worked for grocery stores, I don't remember people being able to buy those things--I would be surprised if it had changed in the following years, but could not assertively say that it hadn't.

My room mate wouldn't try to buy those things to find out. She sometimes spends more than I would on a food item though. For example, I wouldn't pay more than $4 a pound for any meat...but she would and has.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Then there is the (in)famous Henrietta Hughes....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4eTX...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies