Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times

Advertisements

How do you as either a loyal Democrat or a loyal Republican justify your candidate lying during and election? I am using two Kansas politicians as an example. I won;t mention their party affiliation.

Todd Tihart vs Jerry Moran. Both vying for the same political office.I See this stuff on tv and imo i think both are lying. Why would you want to vote for someone that you know is lying to get elected?

By the way i am not from Ks and don't care who wins. These guys are the most over the top i am seeing on the tv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
You will be hard pressed to get an answer. Party hardliners tend to be deaf dumb and blind when it comes to their own party. The my party wrong or right mentality defeats any and all rational thought when it comes to politics.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
i try to vote for the best candidate regardless of party, and yes i have voted for democrats over republicans, though not very often. i voted for mo udahl many years ago, and i have consistently voted for our current county recorder, she is a democrat but has done an excellent job over the years, and i have voted for our county sheriff, again another democrat who has done a good job over the years.

i know that politicians tend the stretch the truth, and some actually outright lie to get in, but if you listen to what these people say, not just hear it, oyu will get a real feel for the better candidate.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i try to vote for the best candidate regardless of party, and yes i have voted for democrats over republicans, though not very often. i voted for mo udahl many years ago, and i have consistently voted for our current county recorder, she is a democrat but has done an excellent job over the years, and i have voted for our county sheriff, again another democrat who has done a good job over the years.

i know that politicians tend the stretch the truth, and some actually outright lie to get in, but if you listen to what these people say, not just hear it, oyu will get a real feel for the better candidate.
You are amoung the minority of voters. Most are party hardliners. Look no further than CD to verify this.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
CD is hardly a representative sample.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
CD is hardly a representative sample.
LOL sure. Look at NE PA. They vote hard party line every time. Most areas do. Look at the big cities and the level of corruption they enjoy.
It didn't happen because the voters bothered to worry about what their party was really up to.
Look at the 2 major parties. How many career politicians are there and how many of them vote for what they promised? How many vote based on whats best for the nation and how many vote based on party line?
Walk in a local bar and they talk party politics.
Go to a school board meeting and you would swear their will be a lynching but come election day they get re-elected because the party backs them and the sheeple follow party line.
CD is representative of the average voter. Look at the posts where people refuse to hold their own party accountable and instead shift blame by saying yeah but so and so did it first. As if this is the trump card in the debate.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
I have absolutely no problem voting along party lines, regardless of the individual candidates. I'm either voting for someone who best represents my interests on a number of different issues or, I'm voting against someone who opposes my interests on a number of different issues so, regardless of the integrety of the candidate, I'm an issues voter first and foremost. Since I am fairly cynical about the candidates in all of the parties, it's really about who I think will do the least damage! And although there have been republican candidates who I respected as individuals, I would still never vote for one because, regardless of what I thought of their character, the bottom line is that I understand that we don't share the same values. So, I understand why others vote along party lines; even if no party is completely in sync with your own values, it's natural to support the party that "most" represents you and those issues you have strong opinions about. As someone who defines myself as fiscally moderate and socially "way left" of the current administration, there really is no electable party that represents my interests so, I work with what there is.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
How do you expect anyone to answer your question? Your post has no information in it.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
How do you expect anyone to answer your question? Your post has no information in it.

What more info do you need. They are both telling lies about the other!

I was raised with the idea that if a man's word is no good then he is no good!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
I was a Republican, a conservative in fiscal and some other policies because I thought that in the long run it was the best way to raise the standard of life for most Americans.

Then business showed that it had no loyalty to the country and the jobs started being shipped out of the country.

I changed into a progressive because I believed the people required some government protection against these bad actions of business.

Now, comparing election platforms to actual results in elections (national) I realize there are no conservatives in the Republican party and no progressives in the Democrat party.

They preach the line of conservatism and progressive thought but when they get into office both parties always opt for mega business interests over those of the people.

I now realize that even good people in government can be bought if the price is right and the need is great enough (like needing the money for your re election campaign to keep your job).

I now feel that NO party will ever be free of this because we are all vulnerable to greed.

The only solution that I can see is in campaign finance reform that will make it illegal for a candidate to accept private contributions. Only public funding. The airwaves are still free - it can be done.

I voted for Obama and he has been such a disappointment, his finance reform has no real teeth and has many 'work arounds' for financial institutions. His stimulus package did not create all those new, mostly green, jobs.

His health reform just forces new customers for the insurers. His immigration policy is moving towards legalization, helping industry and keeping salaries low enough to close enterprising small black businesses. His energy policy, too, favors profits of large corporations over the well being of the home owner.

I think both progressives and conservatives want the best for our people, but may differ in what that is. I think both parties pull our strings, knowing our wishes, but end up pushing the same goals once they get into office - those of the mega corporations.

The OP is right, sincere people in both parties are getting the royal shaft and a third party will eventually evolve into the same.

We need only public funding of elections, but I cannot see how that can happen. It is the heart of the problem and the thing that is thwarting the sincere efforts of both conservatives and progressives, but no politician will cut his own throat by promoting this in a serious way and the media does not educate the public on this issue because they are also owned by mega businesses.

What a mess we've gotten ourselves into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies