Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for passing the unemployment extension bill HR 4213?
yes, Obama should have declared it as emergency funding 45 45.92%
yes, if the paygo rule is met 5 5.10%
possibly, but it needs reworking 5 5.10%
no, people have collected enough unemployment 43 43.88%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

I think we have to keep in mind that the economic situation we are in, will take a long time to get out of. It took a relative few people to get this collapse started and because it is so few that have that kind of influence, the decline was very rapid. Recovering, requires millions and millions of people being able to contribute to the engine. Because of that, it will take a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
you really think the unemployed are happy?? most make a 1/3 of what they used to, lost their retirement,health care,homes,cars,material possessions,and in some instances their kids to their wife/husband that divorced them! Let's not even talk about the stress levels! You honestly do not have a clue. Many of us have contacted our representatives and major media and STILL don't have fair representation for job creation! To boot no one knows where they're headed half the time with the disorganized extensions that have come out and don't have the money to pay all their bills, yet you think everyone is happy. To say we that IS more than insensitive.

Free money? I think you forget UE is unemployment INSURANCE that many have paid into for DECADES! We are not talking WELFARE!

Many people cannot afford to get by on $8.25/hr despite consolidating all of our personal items! That is $330 per weak BEFORE taxes! I said I'd work for it because I am out of UE, but I still would have to collect cans. WAKE UP!

If you think the GOP's will turn this economy around your mistaken! They will use this opportunity to consolidate the middle class even more! In my eyes they are acting inhumane on an emergency issue. Splash some cold water on your face!
I really don't see your solution as working. Keep millions of people on unemployment forever - like someone earlier in the thread said - why not put 100% of the people on unemployment if it's so great for the economy, we can all live off the government and spend our unemployment checks to get the economy moving.

Also the longer you keep people on unemployment handouts, the harder it is for them to find a job - employers tend to choose employees with a solid work history.

The answer isn't government handouts, it's jobs. We need a government that slashes our taxes and gets the economy moving and brings the jobs they outsourced back.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think we have to keep in mind that the economic situation we are in, will take a long time to get out of. It took a relative few people to get this collapse started and because it is so few that have that kind of influence, the decline was very rapid. Recovering, requires millions and millions of people being able to contribute to the engine. Because of that, it will take a long time.
We need to learn the lesson of Greece and Spain - excessive government spending IS the problem not the solution. We cannot spend our way into prosperity.

What happens with the 3 trillion $$ stimulus runs out that provided the federal government the loans to keep people unemployed? Another $3 trillion dollar stimulus paid by more debt? Federal debt and spending is the problem not the solution.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Absolutely NOT. The focus should be on creating jobs. Certainly any half-wit can look around this country and see a LOT of work to be done. As far as I can tell, most people in most communities could be put to work cleaning up their communities. As we've traveled around the country, we've seen only one or two communities without major trash, disrepair, and lack of maintenance.

Litter could be picked up, buildings and infrastructure could be repaired, yards could be spruced up -- and in the end everyone would feel better about themselves and have some civic pride.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Absolutely NOT. The focus should be on creating jobs. Certainly any half-wit can look around this country and see a LOT of work to be done. As far as I can tell, most people in most communities could be put to work cleaning up their communities. As we've traveled around the country, we've seen only one or two communities without major trash, disrepair, and lack of maintenance.

Litter could be picked up, buildings and infrastructure could be repaired, yards could be spruced up -- and in the end everyone would feel better about themselves and have some civic pride.
I don't disagree with the basic concept of a CCC like program. If one were to be created, then yes, let UE payments expire.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Exactly. Even FDR had work programs, not just government cash giveaway programs. Dams and bridges and highways were built. Trees were planted.

In some of the states with high unemployment, roads are decaying with potholes and people are paid not to work. If the government must be involved, then it needs to get involved in a positive way. Get people out filling in potholes, repainting over graffitti and clean up the environment.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That is a little far for people over here to commute...
I understand that. I was replying to this:
Quote:
Please post where you can rent somewhere for $300/month?
I do realize that people have lost everything they own in the past couple of years due to economics, I lost nearly everything I owned too due to a crippling illness, so, I know what it is like to lose your house, car, personal possessions, just to keep afloat. My original post was meant to be sarcastic. I do believe the Prez. should extend the benefits because the jobs situation still sucks. If corporations just wouldn't have sent manufacturing jobs overseas, we'd still have some jobs.
If I ever won the powerball lottery, I would open a factory and try to put some of my American friends back to work, making something.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
We need to replace unemployment with some temporary and some permanent government jobs. In many places the UI is the only cash flow left.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We need to replace unemployment with some temporary and some permanent government jobs. In many places the UI is the only cash flow left.
I wonder how many GOP Representatives would vote to enact any legislation to do that. I would hazard a guess, zero.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
And then there's this disturbing bit of information about the unemployed. Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants. If this is true for other companies, spare me all the nasty comments about people collecting unemployment.

Clip:
Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants.
In a current job posting on The People Place, a job recruiting website for the telecommunications, aerospace/defense and engineering industries, an anonymous electronics company in Angleton, Texas, advertises for a "Quality Engineer." Qualifications for the job are the usual: computer skills, oral and written communication skills, light to moderate lifting. But red print at the bottom of the ad says, "Client will not consider/review anyone NOT currently employed regardless of the reason."
In a nearly identical job posting for the same position on the Benchmark Electronics website, the red print is missing. But a human resources representative for the company confirmed to HuffPost that the The People Place ad accurately reflects the company's recruitment policies.
Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies