Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for passing the unemployment extension bill HR 4213?
yes, Obama should have declared it as emergency funding 45 45.92%
yes, if the paygo rule is met 5 5.10%
possibly, but it needs reworking 5 5.10%
no, people have collected enough unemployment 43 43.88%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Why do you think if I tried to get one of those Minimum wage jobs they wouldn't hire me? They know I wouldn't be staying. If you notice others have tried that as well. I admit I haven't because it wont pay my bills but others have and still get rejected as they know they are not going to stay.
OHGreat..you're fighting a losing battle. The MSM and administration both say we are recovering and more jobs are being created each month.

You're fighting the propaganda machine here.
I know it's hell out there. I got buddies with engineering degrees that can't find jobs and have been workiing just here and there for over a year now.
Their jobs got offshored so even if there were a recovery tomorrow those guys won't be getting their jobs back.

Best of luck to you; take whatever handouts the government will give you while you can. This is just going to get worse IMO as more debt will not erase our debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:00 PM

103 posts, read 187,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Your post did not upset me at all. I appreciate it. The difference is that you were able to find a job, and I cannot. I have looked in all fields, even fast-food (since this seems to be the job everyone thinks will save us). I have really tried. My age is working against me. I am healthy, in shape and full of life. I interview very well. But I can't get interviews. When I cold-call to drop off resumes, I hear nothing. Even funeral homes are laying off people. The hoagie shop down the road won't hire me. The landscape companies won't hire me. I am willing to do whatever it takes (except prostitution) to earn a LIVING WAGE. It's just that younger, hipper people are getting those jobs before me. This isn't the first time I've been unemployed. I've had to deal with this before, but never have the pickings been so slim-to-none.
Thanks for answering my post. You are strong and I respect that.

Good Luck Jane! pray you find somthing soon.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I would take a minimum paying job, I have applied, but again no one is hiring a 60 year old. I will admit at 60 I do have some health problems that keep me from applying to jobs that say you must be able to lift 50-100 lbs or more repeatedly- can't do it anymore, nor can I tollerate standing outside in the brutal GA summer heat and humidity for 8-10 hours. I have a background in IT as a Tech Writer, a medical and legal background, I've done customer service - plenty of experience, I can walk and lift small things. I can operate a front endloader on a tractor, I can type 55wpm, I know MS Office products -advanced user, I recently completed a Phlebotomy course and passed a national exam, still no job - it's not my resume, it's that legal question of "what year did you graduate from high school" - if you don't answer, they throw out your application and consider it incomplete, if you do, you never get called for an interview. Lying is not an option, I won't do it and besides you'd get caught anyway.

The local fast foods and big boxes aren't hiring, I apply to ANYTHING that I have the basic skills for no matter what the wage. I also volunteer at the Red Cross when I can afford the gas to get there to show on my resume that I'm at least doing something even if it isn't paid work.

I never lived above my means and have a very very modest mortage - $349. a month. No credit cards not no debt there. I did have savings but thats gone after 2 years, I have a 14 year old vehicle so no car payment, and I have and do live frugally.

For those of you who watch the news, Sony Erickkson had posted an add for 180 jobs - but if you are unemployed don't bother applying, this company moved to our state and got a 4mil tax credit yet our crappy state gov't didn't even bother to say at least a certain % of those jobs HAD to go to someone who is long-term unemployed With this kind of atitude that we are facing through out corporate amerika, just where are those jobs - please let me know, I'll apply, I'm willing to work, like most, we want to work - WHERE ARE THOSE JOBS everyone keeps talking about??? they certainly aren't hiring me

What the employed don't realize, is many of the jobs they see advertised on boards like Indeed are months old, scams, have been filled, or lead to another website offering training for an exorbatant fee. Few of those jobs listed are real and current.

Please tell us WHERE ARE THOSE REAL JOBS??? I'll apply

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
OHGreat..you're fighting a losing battle. The MSM and administration both say we are recovering and more jobs are being created each month.

You're fighting the propaganda machine here.
I know it's hell out there. I got buddies with engineering degrees that can't find jobs and have been workiing just here and there for over a year now.
Their jobs got offshored so even if there were a recovery tomorrow those guys won't be getting their jobs back.

Best of luck to you; take whatever handouts the government will give you while you can. This is just going to get worse IMO as more debt will not erase our debt.

Oh yea, I know it sure feels that way, I'm coming close to the end anyways. If they extend it out I have about 6 months left, If not I have 4 weeks. I kind of believe they will but who knows these days.

You know the last couple of weeks and seeing what is happening it sure feels like it again.

Good Luck to you as well

Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I would take a minimum paying job, I have applied, but again no one is hiring a 60 year old. I will admit at 60 I do have some health problems that keep me from applying to jobs that say you must be able to lift 50-100 lbs or more repeatedly- can't do it anymore, nor can I tollerate standing outside in the brutal GA summer heat and humidity for 8-10 hours. I have a background in IT as a Tech Writer, a medical and legal background, I've done customer service - plenty of experience, I can walk and lift small things. I can operate a front endloader on a tractor, I can type 55wpm, I know MS Office products -advanced user, I recently completed a Phlebotomy course and passed a national exam, still no job - it's not my resume, it's that legal question of "what year did you graduate from high school" - if you don't answer, they throw out your application and consider it incomplete, if you do, you never get called for an interview. Lying is not an option, I won't do it and besides you'd get caught anyway.

The local fast foods and big boxes aren't hiring, I apply to ANYTHING that I have the basic skills for no matter what the wage. I also volunteer at the Red Cross when I can afford the gas to get there to show on my resume that I'm at least doing something even if it isn't paid work.

I never lived above my means and have a very very modest mortage - $349. a month. No credit cards not no debt there. I did have savings but thats gone after 2 years, I have a 14 year old vehicle so no car payment, and I have and do live frugally.

For those of you who watch the news, Sony Erickkson had posted an add for 180 jobs - but if you are unemployed don't bother applying, this company moved to our state and got a 4mil tax credit yet our crappy state gov't didn't even bother to say at least a certain % of those jobs HAD to go to someone who is long-term unemployed With this kind of atitude that we are facing through out corporate amerika, just where are those jobs - please let me know, I'll apply, I'm willing to work, like most, we want to work - WHERE ARE THOSE JOBS everyone keeps talking about??? they certainly aren't hiring me

What the employed don't realize, is many of the jobs they see advertised on boards like Indeed are months old, scams, have been filled, or lead to another website offering training for an exorbatant fee. Few of those jobs listed are real and current.

Please tell us WHERE ARE THOSE REAL JOBS??? I'll apply

I would work a minimum wage job if it paid my bills, I wish my mortgage was that low, Then I could work a minimum wage job.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Nobody said you can't work, and still look for other work at the same time.
Your brilliant.

Quote:
Sooner or later the benefits will need to stop and reality will need to sink in.
Everyone hangs on to this belief of "recovery". To what ? Do you not see more European countries on the edge of sovereign default weekly ? Do you think there is enough money to bail them all out ?
There's a pool of money given to the IMF by countries that don't have money.

Here in the US we have states that will not be meeting their budgets soon..bailouts for them too ?

At what point will reality be realized..the GDP is positive ONLY due to government spending; spending money they do not have. You cannot recover from debt by adding more debt.
More brilliance...

You seem to think unemployment is enough for us to survive with some kind of lifestyle. I eat cup of noodles 2x a day and chicken for dinner for protein.

We all see the global catastrophe that our American based corporations led us to. I know about the IMF, I know about Greece,state deficits, and a GDP full of derivatives.

The bottom line is we have a "service" based economy. If you didn't know that means we don't make anything. In order for this "service" industry to stay a float money has to circulate. What most anti-extension people see is that their taxes are going up(classic short sightedness), what they FAIL to see is unemployment money fuels business and stimulates a SERVICE based economy. Every dollar in unemployment is SPENT not saved therefore it goes into the economy.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post

The bottom line is we have a "service" based economy. If you didn't know that means we don't make anything. In order for this "service" industry to stay a float money has to circulate. What most anti-extension people see is that their taxes are going up(classic short sightedness), what they FAIL to see is unemployment money fuels business and stimulates a SERVICE based economy. Every dollar in unemployment is SPENT not saved therefore it goes into the economy.
The US cannot survive on UE with shrinking revenue. I do hope you see that.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
Quote:
The US cannot survive on UE with shrinking revenue. I do hope you see that.
So you agree that UE does stimulate the economy? My point isn't to say UE is the answer to the nations problems, but it does offer "emergency aid" and buys time allowing people in DC time to get a jobs policy together for the dissolving middle class.

The problem I see with people that have similar views to yours is they would rather cut the leg off then nurse it back to health. UE is the nurse to your hacksaw.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,712 times
Those of you who are bashing the unemployed, be careful what you say. The economy isn't getting any better and there are expected to be more and more layoffs across the country. And it just could be your job on the line. I look forward to seeing your posts on this board when, after a year, YOU can't get a job and your benefits only last 26 weeks.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 PM

285 posts, read 561,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Jobs won't be back under Obama.

It just won't happen.

Cap and Trade, increase in taxes on business, letting the Bush tax cuts expire.

Investors just are going to sit tight.

The health care law did not help.
You may be right. Jobs may not come back under Obama. Bush made such a mess while he was in office it's going to take a long time to recover. Yes, Maybe Bush did cut some taxes. But he also signed every spending bill that passed under his nose. When Bush took over from Clinton we owed no one. As a matter of fact we had a surplus of money. Now after eight years of Bush in office we are deeper in debt than this country has ever been. Obama inherited a big mess. People seem to think he should wiggle his nose and fix everything in one year that it took eight years of republican rule to screw up.

The health care law didn't help? How do you know? Most of it will not be enacted for another four years. We will know then for sure. That is if we are not pushed into a double dip recession and go back to 1933 again. If that happens it will not matter. We will ALL be in the bread line.

Right now there are over 15 million pissed off unemployed Americans that want jobs and a way to keep up themselves and there families until things get better. Come November they will be heard. So will all the other pissed off Americans that are tired of government as usual. I've got a feeling that this November election is going to be something like we have never seen before. We will see faces we have never seen before. Harry Reid & Nancy Pelosi will be two of the first to go. Pelosi's big mouth and Reid's lack of a spine will be what gets there jobs.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2010 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies