Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Uh, re-hello. They aren't escaping income tax, they don't earn enough to have a tax bill. I am pretty sure they would love to have a tax bill. The answer isn't raising taxes, it's in expanding the number of people getting a tax bill, due to increasing income levels, rather than the GOP favored approach, of limiting income except for only those, "truly deserving".

So there aren't any self employed types in there taking hundreds of write offs every year.

There aren't any people who make a good living but have enough exemptions.

Please.....

Last edited by Rick Roma; 06-07-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Massachusetts did just what the OP suggests. When a referendum forced the state legistlature to cut the tax from 5.85% to 5.3%, the state income tax forms gave people the option of paying the higher rate. It would calculate it for you... 0.004% of the people (that is 4 out of every 100,000 people) went for the higher tax. MA is one of the most liberal states in the country...

Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have always proposed exempting those below the 85th percentile from all Federal Income Tax. Many formerly employed "hard working Americans" are dependant on Federal unemployment subsidies because Republican policies have sent their work overseas.

Don't put me on some mythical list of Liberals that are taxing the middle class. IMHO the middle and working classes should be exempt from all Federal income tax.

Why not just get rid of the income tax all together and everyone pays a 5% fed sales tax. Food and clothing Exempt. It replaces the 16th amendment and no other taxes, fees and revenue can come from other sources only the 5%. It can not be increased under an circumstances and written in the law just as I stated. Remove the gas tax, sin taxes and every other tax.

Then in washington they will need to figure out what to do with the money.

I bet the government would have move money then before and the citizens would have more in their paychecks.

No more IRS no more write offs and silly paperwork April 15th claiming to the IRS or anyone what you make in income that is not their business.

Corporations pay 10% end of story no write offs nothing to claim.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:28 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Massachusetts did just what the OP suggests. When a referendum forced the state legistlature to cut the tax from 5.85% to 5.3%, the state income tax forms gave people the option of paying the higher rate. It would calculate it for you... 0.004% of the people (that is 4 out of every 100,000 people) went for the higher tax. MA is one of the most liberal states in the country...
THAT is hilarious...and typical.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM

102 posts, read 127,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ah yes, because watching children of beaten women so they can go to school or talk to a counselor is 'enabling the poor'.

And here, let me help you out with the Habitat for Humanity thing:

Habitat for Humanity fact sheet (frequently asked questions) -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

The homeowners are required to pay a downpayment, mortgage payments AND help build their own house. But I guess that's also 'enabling the poor'.

And I guess my father is enabling the poor by donating HIS time and energy into teaching a very difficult trade to people who WANT a job but don't have the skills to do so.

I'm not about 'enabling', I'm about teaching and training so that those 'poor' people can get back on their feet.
Well you are a Jockey of a different stripe then.

I'll give you an example, Carter had the Community Redevelopment Act passed that forced lenders to loan money to people unable to pay it back. Default rates through the roof. Community Activist groups like Acorn made things worse, to the point where our mortgage and home industries are collapsing. Even the bailout programs are resulting in defaults post load modification. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are all part of it.

Even assuming good intentions on the part of Carter, the program has been a DISASTER. You cannot cast pearls before swine and expect them to see the value thereof.

If you really want to help the poor, make it hurt, and they will do what is necessary to succeed. You can think of it as "tough love".

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Right now, many charities are hurting as their donors are dealing with unemployment. Donations are down so charity alone cannot meet all the demands of the needy. I just wish that government programs did not have so much wasteful overhead and that more funding goes into the actual programs itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies