U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM

25,058 posts, read 24,857,172 times

Advertisements

It's amazing seeing the amount of propaganda the progressives swallow, the stimulus dug us very deep into a hole, and the full force of the debt bubble it created has yet to fully materialize, this is the problem why the markets are on a bear run in Europe right now, because you can't bail out a country's debt with even more debt.

It's like paying your bills using a credit card. Eventually, the bank is going to want to collect all that money. You haven't paid your debt, in reality, you just postponed it for later. It's amazing that the left fails to see this
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM

25,070 posts, read 15,563,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Morning Bell: Why Obama’s Stimulus Failed | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

Here's something to ponder;

Bet not many people knew THAT little fact.

msnbc tv- msnbc.com

"Stimulus not well thought out".

No way!

Watch the video at MSNBC and LOOK at the faces of the dems sitting around the table.

Obama promised if we spent $1 Trillion dollars on the stimulus, UE would NOT rise above 8%.
The problem with the stimulus bill, is that it was not a coordinated plan. The people who wrote it did not look at what it would take to stimulate the economy, and then put together as a set of logical building blocks where one action reinforces the next, and that one built on the next, etc...

The stimulus bill was just a big pile of pork barrel projects that the democrats dusted off, in order to buy votes, buy favors with their special interest groups, and help promote their pet projects and agendas.

If you believe what you read we have created 3-4 million jobs at a cost of over $400 billion, which equates to well over $100,000 per job created, and most of these "jobs" were part time, last a few days or a couple months, and do not even exist any more.

There is an intestate highway near me, that has a sign saying "paid for by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act." Its twenty miles of torn up road, and all I see is sand, gravel, diesel construction equipment and at best, about two dozen are men working it.

What does that stimulate? It stimulates one or two gravel and rock companies, some oil companies for the tar, and fuel, and a paycheck for a month's work, for a few dozen men. This does not help reopen the shoe factory, does not convince the data processing company to run out an rehire laid off employees, and it does not inspire the folks to run out and buy durable goods.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Stimulus was a half-baked effort that had some positives, but not nearly enough. It did help local governments for the last two years, but that is it. The money was not enough to really have a huge effect. We needed an all-out effort that required 3-4 trillion dollars at the minimum. Where are the roads, renovations they talked about?
Pumping money into the state governments only allowed them to keep up business as usual, and give them an excuse not to tackle their budget shortfalls or address their deficit spending.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 AM

25,058 posts, read 24,857,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Pumping money into the state governments only allowed them to keep up business as usual, and give them an excuse not to tackle their budget shortfalls or address their deficit spending.
It's amazing liberals don't realize this. But then again since their man Obaaaaamaaaaa got elected they think everything he does is in the best interests of all

Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM

47,531 posts, read 63,687,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's amazing liberals don't realize this. But then again since their man Obaaaaamaaaaa got elected they think everything he does is in the best interests of all
They still don't see it. Even with the problems of Greece and Spain now in the news, the liberals still don't believe there can ever be too much government spending or too many taxes.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 AM

159 posts, read 132,750 times
Just wait until the VAT, Cap and Trade and any other regressive tax they can think of is imposed to help pay for the massive spending.

The bread lines are going to be fun.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 AM

41,313 posts, read 41,405,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is exactly right. The Failed Stimulus put off for a year the inevitable - states drowning in red ink, needing to pare their bloated public sector workforce, wasteful programs.

We see he wants another $23 billion to keep teacher's on the job to pay for their pensions and benefits.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM

17,116 posts, read 19,584,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
And Obama did lower taxes, so don't go there.
Sorry, but I'm going to "go there."

Obama promised:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidate Obama
Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.
What was the first significant thing he did after taking office? He signed the SCHIP bill into law. That bill included the two largest tax increases in U.S. history, one of which affected me directly, and I make much, much less than his "wealthy" threshold.

Remember, he didn't say "your income tax won't go up, but your other taxes will." He said, "not any of your taxes." He did not live up to that, plain and simple, and you can try to spin those words 'till you're dizzy, but you can't change their meaning.

The bottom line is that I'm paying more in federal taxes now than I was two years ago, and my taxable income is under $20k/year. God, I love being "rich!"

Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapoutofit View Post
Just wait until the VAT, Cap and Trade and any other regressive tax they can think of is imposed to help pay for the massive spending.

The bread lines are going to be fun.
Its things like threats of tax increases, the VAT, Cap & Trade, CO2 regulation by the EPA and 0bama Care, deficit spending, and ever increasing national debt, talks of more heavy handed federal regulations that are causing businesses and bankers to hunker down and get small. Everyone is afraid to take a risk because they do not know what lays ahead in our future.

If 0bama would have declared over a year ago that he would refuse to even entertain the idea of a VAT, or Cap & Trade or increased taxes, and no more deficit spending, then you would have seen a much different America then today, but sadly all of these things hang over us like a dark cloud of thick, choking smoke.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sorry, but I'm going to "go there."

Obama promised:

What was the first significant thing he did after taking office? He signed the SCHIP bill into law. That bill included the two largest tax increases in U.S. history, one of which affected me directly, and I make much, much less than his "wealthy" threshold.

Remember, he didn't say "your income tax won't go up, but your other taxes will." He said, "not any of your taxes." He did not live up to that, plain and simple, and you can try to spin those words 'till you're dizzy, but you can't change their meaning.

The bottom line is that I'm paying more in federal taxes now than I was two years ago, and my taxable income is under $20k/year. God, I love being "rich!"
His deficit spending is a tax increase all by itself, because it will have to be paid for by taxpayers, unless he plans on paying it off thru more book sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies