Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's not only the downturn in GDP, it's how much the GDP declines. A decline of 10% and over is considered a depression.
I never read that official definition in any economic text books. Its subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
That is also when many manufacturing jobs were right here in the US, not shipped off to foreign countries. I read just yesterday that the new MLK statue for the Washington DC Mall was made in China, sign of the times.
that is truly pathetic...

Quote:
A former adviser for the memorial has accused the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation Inc. of promoting Lei to head artist in the hopes of getting a $25 million donation from the Chinese government to make up for a shortfall in funding. In a 13-page critique, Ed Dwight, a sculptor who has created seven King memorials, called Lei's proposed statue a "shrinking, shriveled inadequate personage."
A King Statue 'Made in China'? - washingtonpost.com

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But like wehotex pointed out - there were manufacturing jobs to come back to, that would bring back the economy. All that's gone now. Not much is made in the USA, nor will there be anytime soon.
Not much is made by the 11.5 million people working in manufacturing in the US:
Table B-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by industry sector and selected industry detail

Not much is made other than over trillion in exports putting the US third behind China & Germany:
List of countries by exports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
That clip sure brings back memories. I wonder if that cafe is still in business, or sold, closed, name changed? It is true that, judging by the unemployment rate, the 82-83 recession was worse, at ove 10 percent for six months. But the key differences between now and then: 1) In that recession the job losses were concentrated on those without college degrees. A much higher percentage of the unemployed today have at least a college education. 2) The population is older, so more have the option of retiring, albeit at reduced benefits, after a fruitless job search. Yes, manufacturing is less important to the economy, continuing a 50-year trend.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Time to turn around manufacturing and recover our position as the leading exporter. Germany is about the most expensive place to produce manufactured goods on the planet. How can they export more then us? Ever wonder why people will buy a BMW instead of a Ford? Perceived, and in many cases actual, quality is why.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I can say one thing, it's the worst in a generation, but not up there with the Great depression. People were starving to death then.

Is that true?

Today we can verify the BS and spin of the state run media through various other sources to include the Internet. In the thirties the media was very limited and likely the only reason it wasn't scrutinized the way it is today is because ordinary people didn't have the means. If the government, eager to seize greater power as they are today, said people were starving, the justification for expanding government's grasp was simply accepted as true.

I can round up a dozen anorexics for a photo and claim Americans are starving, but the reality is that the poorest Americans are typically obese. Personally, I don't believe everything the in the paper and verify everything our hopelessly corrupt federal government says.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
momonkey -

Were you or any of your relatives alive in the 30's? I have spoken with people who were and they were really hard times because people were literally starving after they lost their employment, their savings and their shelter. There were no government programs like unemployment or food stamps to keep some money circulating. There was no government guarantee on your savings accounts so they lost everything when the banks collapsed.

I prefer the support systems we have in place and would prefer to see them extended until the recovery is obvious.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
there are a litany of different, better, more accurate metrics out there, to measure the labor force.

so why do people insist on using headline unemployment?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
I was only 7 years old in 1983 but I have a lot of good memories from that time, I remember going to my neighbor's house everyday to play Atari 2600, I remember listening to the radio around that time and truly enjoying so many good songs, life was a lot simpler, there were no cell phones, or Ipod's but people lived just fine. Music, TV shows and movies were so much better than they are today. I really feel sorry for the 20-something kids that are just graduating from college, life in this country used to be a lot better some 27 years ago.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
You are absolutely right OP. They are in no way shape or form the same. Reagan inherited a functioning economy, no outright wars, no financial meltdown and no closing or cleaning up a faulty and broken government left by the previous administration.
Reagan inherited an economy which had 22% interest rates and 13% inflation rates.

Quote:
And most of all Reagan burdened this country with a MASSIVE debt and deficit.
Incorrect. The Democratic-controlled Congress burdened this country with a massive debt.

Quote:
Reagan also never, ever submitted a balanced budget.
Yes, he did. And when he did, it was declared DOA by Tip O'Neil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies