Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the term African American offensive to you?
Yes 20 27.78%
No 23 31.94%
Don't Care 29 40.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Oh please.... Jesse Jackson is the one that pushed the term... if you don't know this, you don't know much about the term.

Actually, I was using that term a decade earlier than you ascribed it to Jesse Jackson. And there are others who were using it long before I did. Actually, I know a helluva lot about that term, which I think is obvious from reading my posts.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
the reason it doesnt make sense is because you can't even follow the threads you are responding to. I asked a person who the supposed leaders of Black Americans were..... you responded with the POTUS.

I said that the POTUS is not a leader for exclusively black people...

You responded that yes he was because we live here....

you are wrong, since I am saying that me and my family wants to be known as Americans.. plain and simple....

If someone wants to describe us as in race... would prefer the term black over African American as a description.
And as Americans "plain and simple" the leader of Americans (WHITE AND BLACK) is the POTUS. I know you are trying to make me look like I don't know what I am talking about but eventually you are just going to make yourself look like an idiot because no one else here seems to be confused about what I am saying but you.

Now that you came forward and admitted that "[i] would prefer the term black over African American as a description" I ask you to stop dodging my question(s) in post 137 about being called by the actual color of the skin. What is your response to that question?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
But why is it used as a racial/ethnic classification here, and not allowed to be used as also a country of origin.. because people like you say, that it has to be this way, whether others like it or not?
Just like Asian-American is used as a racial/ethnic classification too. How come I don't see no one arguing about that? Why do black people get so much attention around here anyway? There are probably some Chinese people who families been here since the 1870s still identifiying as Asian-Americans. Where is the outcry? Technically speaking, Americans of Middle Eastern descent(including many Arabs and some Jews) are Asian-Americans too, yet the term is limited to people of East, Southeast, and South Asia origins on the census. Even in everyday discussions, Indians, Pakastanis, Tamils, Sri Lankans etc are typically not called Asians. The primarily image of what an Asian person looks like in America is someone with "Mongoloid" features.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Actually, I was using that term a decade earlier than you ascribed it to Jesse Jackson. And there are others who were using it long before I did. Actually, I know a helluva lot about that term, which I think is obvious from reading my posts.

I think you know what you want to believe, and you ascribe to because it is your belief. But the term becoming nationalized was due to it being pushed by jackson...

I do not agree with your beliefs of what african american means, and we have been back and forth on that months and months ago.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Just like Asian-American is used as a racial/ethnic classification too. How come I don't see no one arguing about that? Why do black people get so much attention around here anyway? There are probably some Chinese people who families been here since the 1870s still identifiying as Asian-Americans. Where is the outcry? Technically speaking, Americans of Middle Eastern descent(including many Arabs and some Jews) are Asian-Americans too, yet the term is limited to people of East, Southeast, and South Asia origins on the census. Even in everyday disscussions, Indians, Pakastanis, Tamils, Sri Lankans etc are typically not called Asians. The primarily image of what an Asian person looks like in America is someone with "Mongoloid" features.

I can not speak for why there isnt an outcry from those of asian decent... but, I think it is just as wrong as African American

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I think you know what you want to believe, and you ascribe to because it is your belief. But the term becoming nationalized was due to it being pushed by jackson...

I do not agree with your beliefs of what african american means, and we have been back and forth on that months and months ago.
I do not dispute most of what you say here; We do not see eye to eye on the definition of African American, and I will believe what I want to believe, and you will believe what you want to believe.

But I do dispute this central fact; Jesse Jackson is not the man responsible for the introduction or the popularization of the term African American.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
And as Americans "plain and simple" the leader of Americans (WHITE AND BLACK) is the POTUS. I know you are trying to make me look like I don't know what I am talking about but eventually you are just going to make yourself look like an idiot because no one else here seems to be confused about what I am saying but you.

Now that you came forward and admitted that "[i] would prefer the term black over African American as a description" I ask you to stop dodging my question(s) in post 137 about being called by the actual color of the skin. What is your response to that question?

No I am not trying to make you look like anything. you are trying to take my responses to someone else, and make them seem as if I am implying something completely different.

well if someone is going to describe someone else, than yes, they should be as descriptive as possible... if you have a dark tan, than if someone is describing you, I am sure that is a factor to be mentioned.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I can not speak for why there isnt an outcry from those of asian decent... but, I think it is just as wrong as African American

Probably because there is such thing as a Chinese American, a Japanese American, a Korean American, an Indian American or a Vietnamese American, etc......but that is vastly different from the notion of what an African American is.

Americans of Asian descent know where in Asia their ancestors came from; they have some inkling, through their surname, their religion, their food or their language, what culture they originated from. They know that Asian American is a relatively insignificant term because they are aware of their own national and ethnic origins. African Americans have no such luxury.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I do not dispute most of what you say here; We do not see eye to eye on the definition of African American, and I will believe what I want to believe, and you will believe what you want to believe.

But I do dispute this central fact; Jesse Jackson is not the man responsible for the introduction or the popularization of the term African American.

I will agree that jesse, did not introduce the term, but he was the one that was pushing the movement. yes it was widely used by some in certain circles, yes it was already being used in books, in black ran media etc....

But the one that publically pushed for the term on a national level to all was jesse jackson... maybe that you can at least agree to.

It was not until after Mr. Jackson began this supposed movement that the term started to become main stream America.. not limited to certain blacks.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
No I am not trying to make you look like anything. you are trying to take my responses to someone else, and make them seem as if I am implying something completely different.

well if someone is going to describe someone else, than yes, they should be as descriptive as possible... if you have a dark tan, than if someone is describing you, I am sure that is a factor to be mentioned.
Ok good to know. Well now I am frankly surprised that you believe it is less offensive to be called dark tan or light brown if the person is "black" than being called African American...for whatever reason I am not going to test this theory out by calling "black" people who aren't truly black, brown or dark tan, I don't have a feeling that would go over so well. So i'll stick with African American because it is more consistent more often than calling every person who has slightly darker skin black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies