Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM

7,524 posts, read 11,352,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
0bama has been sitting back and letting BP take control of containing the spill,
Do we have a government department that knows how to fix oil riggs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,198,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
"Not too many weeks ago it looked as if President Obama's cap-and-tax program for energy was dead for this year. But with the political and media left whacking the President for his handling of the worst spill in U.S. history, Democrats have suddenly decided that this is one more crisis that shouldn't go to waste." WSJ

If Obama genuinely let this get out of hand, he should be impeached and thrown in jail.

DC might be excited about this for the potential of ramming cap and trade through, but the rest of the country is horrified at the devastation they are seeing. It's not just the GOP pointing their fingers at Obama's mis-management of the spill.
One would think something like this, if it could be proved, would come under the banner of "high crimes and misdemeanors".

Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,897,401 times
how would Bush have handled it ? Chimpy mc flightsuit.

"well..see what we..have is..um..an oil spill. It could be worse. VP Cheney and I are as upset by this as...uh..as any of you. We have sent Lester Jackopf directly to the scene, and uh..he's reporting as fast as he can, considering the circumstances. No, um..Laura and I are praying very HARD for a swift solution. I will be flying down as soon as I finish my..um vacation, but Lester is the best man for the uh task we face down there......Believe me (chuckle smirk) if..if I thought it could be handled any better..I I mean..I was asleep, and didn't hear about this until they told me at church."

Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Unlike Bush with the Katrina catastrophe, the oil spill in the gulf was an unforeseen event that we (US militaty, Coast Guard, etc) do not have the technology in place to correct. This oil spill may as well be on the moon or in outer space because we just do not have the capability ourselves to stop the leak.

The frustration directed at President Obama is misplaced. Sometimes I seriously wonder if the talking heads think that Obama is supposed to dive down to the bottom of the ocean and cap the leak himself as if he's Aquaman or something.

And let's not forget the underlying equation of this disaster.....

BP + Oil (Greedy Profit Grabbing/unsafe cost cutting) + Republican fondness for less regulation + Bush family business = Gulf Oil Spill
Great post worth reading again although the braindead repugs never will get it.

They also NEVER EVER have said just what they expected Obama to do ...so I assume they DID expect him to pull on a wet suit and Save The Day.

Repugs sure want government interference, BIGGER government, IF they can dump on Obama!

They do NOT believe in BP or Halliburton, or any other of their Gods , taking RESPONSIBILITY for their own actions!!!

"To hell with responsibility" is the repugs new motto!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
it was the government that was responsible

did the government do its job of regulating, based on the laws and rules that are already in place.......nope

did the government do its job, ensuring that the safety and security of the nation and its people were there.....nope

has the government done its job to clean up this catastropy that is effecting the entire nation......nope

its bp's job to stop the leak....its the GOVERNMENTS JOB to ensure the safety of the nation, to include the clean up of its enviroment

btw...our NAVY, has has the Technology to to fix it with their deep water subs (depths of 5300 feet )

but liberals will never get it...all they want is someone ELSE to blame

Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,517,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great post worth reading again although the braindead repugs never will get it.

They also NEVER EVER have said just what they expected Obama to do ...so I assume they DID expect him to pull on a wet suit and Save The Day.

Repugs sure want government interference, BIGGER government, IF they can dump on Obama!

They do NOT believe in BP or Halliburton, or any other of their Gods , taking RESPONSIBILITY for their own actions!!!

"To hell with responsibility" is the repugs new motto!
I completely agree.

If anyone is to blame it is the overall Republican mentality. I would start with the deregulation/free market/less government intervention nonsense.

Its quite ironic that these same people who march back and forth holding signs demanding "smaller gov't", "less gov't intervention", "down with big gov't" are now screaming at the top of their lungs for Obama to do exactly what they "claim" they are against.....gov't involvment.

The Oil Barons (namely the Bush family, Cheney and their ilk) have been raping the ocenas and foreign countries for oil for generations and the oil spill is a direct result of their greed.

This disaster was man-made and was driven by the oil industries greed impatience (and lack of concern for rig workers' safety) in getting to that deep sea oil reserve and pumping as fast as they could, as cheaply as they could with utter disregard for potential problems that could ensue.

The unseemly gloating and grand standing that the Republicans are doing is a slap in the face of all the people of the gulf coast who are losing a way of life. I'm sure that when all is said and done you people will be just so proud that your desire to take a "jab" at Obama was done at the expense of fellow Americans who are hurting. Well done.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

btw...our NAVY, has has the Technology to to fix it with their deep water subs (depths of 5300 feet )

Obviously we don't or that technology would be used to fix the leak.

Just because we have submarines that can go done to 5300 feet does not mean that those subs are equipped to make the necessary repairs to the damaged pipe.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,340,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
how would Bush have handled it ? Chimpy mc flightsuit.

"well..see what we..have is..um..an oil spill. It could be worse. VP Cheney and I are as upset by this as...uh..as any of you. We have sent Lester Jackopf directly to the scene, and uh..he's reporting as fast as he can, considering the circumstances. No, um..Laura and I are praying very HARD for a swift solution. I will be flying down as soon as I finish my..um vacation, but Lester is the best man for the uh task we face down there......Believe me (chuckle smirk) if..if I thought it could be handled any better..I I mean..I was asleep, and didn't hear about this until they told me at church."

What? Obama stinks?

But But But But But But But But But But But- George W. Bush was worse!

And! RACISM!! Yeah- Racism!!!!

I wonder how long the silly people who love Barry are going to cling to these excuses......

Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
What? Obama stinks?

But But But But But But But But But But But- George W. Bush was worse!

And! RACISM!! Yeah- Racism!!!!

I wonder how long the silly people who love Barry are going to cling to these excuses......
About as long as the Tea Party folks protest with Obama is a Muslim signs

Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM

7,920 posts, read 9,141,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Unlike Bush with the Katrina catastrophe, the oil spill in the gulf was an unforeseen event that we (US militaty, Coast Guard, etc) do not have the technology in place to correct. This oil spill may as well be on the moon or in outer space because we just do not have the capability ourselves to stop the leak.

The frustration directed at President Obama is misplaced. Sometimes I seriously wonder if the talking heads think that Obama is supposed to dive down to the bottom of the ocean and cap the leak himself as if he's Aquaman or something.

And let's not forget the underlying equation of this disaster.....

BP + Oil (Greedy Profit Grabbing/unsafe cost cutting) + Republican fondness for less regulation + Bush family business = Gulf Oil Spill
Of Course President Obama could not fix the oil well. But what he could do was have the US govt (Holder) put a lien on BP's assets and then authorize the states to hire whatever contractors it needs to help contain the spill to be paid for by BP's assets. Worse comes to worse, pay the contractors with Fed money and then recoup it by going after BP's assets (with interest). Stop waiting to get BP's permission to do things. He could have demanded the EPA and other govt agencies to fastrack whatever approval is needed to build berms, change dispersants etc.

That's the underlying reason why 50 days into this disaster, no improvement is noted in containing the spill and it will most likely spread beyond the gulf states. That is where the frustration at Obama is directed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies