Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 AM

4,515 posts, read 4,060,000 times

Advertisements

I don't see how cutting taxes and cutting spending can help an economy. The cut spending almost certainly means government jobs (good paying jobs will be cut). Thus further hurting the economy. The private sector has been pretty impotent at creating jobs over the past 2 years even with tax cuts and bail outs. Anyone wanna explain to me why I should support the private sector? Time and again they show they aren't deserving of my trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 AM

76,863 posts, read 47,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I don't see how cutting taxes and cutting spending can help an economy. The cut spending almost certainly means government jobs (good paying jobs will be cut). Thus further hurting the economy. The private sector has been pretty impotent at creating jobs over the past 2 years even with tax cuts and bail outs. Anyone wanna explain to me why I should support the private sector? Time and again they show they aren't deserving of my trust.

You need to support the private sector because that is where the growth comes from. Everything revolves around the private sector, and that's a good thing. The problem is how to stimulate it, because they seem to have tried everything yet there are still issues. Consumer spending has been on a rise, but at the same time people are still too fearful.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,684,488 times
Try as I might I couldn't find Obama's name anywhere. Plus the link you posted has a litany of tax hikes. At least they are trying to destroy the economy at every level. Raise taxes on hedge funds to make sure you get the rich guys. And increase the gas tax to make sure you get the little guy. Well done!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,342,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You need to support the private sector because that is where the growth comes from. Everything revolves around the private sector, and that's a good thing. The problem is how to stimulate it, because they seem to have tried everything yet there are still issues. Consumer spending has been on a rise, but at the same time people are still too fearful.
I think a lot of the fear from the private sector is the helter skelter of ideas that is coming from our leaders.You take consumer spending which is the driving force of our messed up economy.Everyone and their brother knows that it is being propped up by the gvt.How long can our broke a$$ gvt keep propping up consumer spending?
Then with the other hand you have legislation and ideas that are anti consumer spending.Such as cap and trade,and from the POTUS own mouth he said it will cost you more for energy.And I think he is right and taking money from me in energy gives me less to spend in the private sector.That is less money I can spend at Walmart and the Amish auction
In the forum yesterday was the idea of starting a mandatory investment program taking 2.5% out of everyones pay check and ran by the gvt.Once again this is taking money out of the private sector and away from consumer spending.
They also do not send a clear signal on taxes sometimes they talk about cutting or keeping tax cuts and then with the other hand talk about raising.I am sure you have heard rumors of a VAT tax?Is it any wonder that people are fearfull?there is no clear cut signal on which way we are going.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
I think a lot of the fear from the private sector is the helter skelter of ideas that is coming from our leaders.You take consumer spending which is the driving force of our messed up economy.Everyone and their brother knows that it is being propped up by the gvt.How long can our broke a$$ gvt keep propping up consumer spending?
Then with the other hand you have legislation and ideas that are anti consumer spending.Such as cap and trade,and from the POTUS own mouth he said it will cost you more for energy.And I think he is right and taking money from me in energy gives me less to spend in the private sector.That is less money I can spend at Walmart and the Amish auction
In the forum yesterday was the idea of starting a mandatory investment program taking 2.5% out of everyones pay check and ran by the gvt.Once again this is taking money out of the private sector and away from consumer spending.
They also do not send a clear signal on taxes sometimes they talk about cutting or keeping tax cuts and then with the other hand talk about raising.I am sure you have heard rumors of a VAT tax?Is it any wonder that people are fearfull?there is no clear cut signal on which way we are going.

Crazy as this may sound, I think I know how to spend and invest my money better than the government.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
There is no Cap/Trade law, so I don't think that is a factor at this point.

The problem is not that people don't have money to spend, and the savings rates prove it, the problem is the fact that people are too afraid to spend. They are socking away the money because they are uncertain about tomorrow. And if people are not spending, then business is hurting. The problem is simple, the solution is difficult. How do you get people to spend? Giving them $500 check does not mean they will run to the store and spend it, and even if they did, it would only help boost the numbers artificially and very temporarily.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
Quote:
There is no Cap/Trade law, so I don't think that is a factor at this point.

The problem is not that people don't have money to spend, and the savings rates prove it, the problem is the fact that people are too afraid to spend. They are socking away the money because they are uncertain about tomorrow. And if people are not spending, then business is hurting. The problem is simple, the solution is difficult. How do you get people to spend? Giving them $500 check does not mean they will run to the store and spend it, and even if they did, it would only help boost the numbers artificially and very temporarily.
People are using their extra money to pay down debt, their own personal debt. IMO this is good because it helps them weather the storm if they get layed off.

Another problem is that HELOCs and CC's are harder to get so the wild spending of money you don't have is curtailed big time.

The days of easy debt (credit) are over IMO. The economy should not recover to what we had in 2004-2005...too many people living way beyond their means thinking their wealth could only go up.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People are using their extra money to pay down debt, their own personal debt. IMO this is good because it helps them weather the storm if they get layed off.

Another problem is that HELOCs and CC's are harder to get so the wild spending of money you don't have is curtailed big time.

The days of easy debt (credit) are over IMO. The economy should not recover to what we had in 2004-2005...too many people living way beyond their means thinking their wealth could only go up.
Yes, people are in shock, or 'hangover' as Bush put it, after the economic collapse, and they are not spending on consumer goods. And with the housing situation, people can't use their houses as ATMs to buy new cars and boats anymore.

Everyone seems to be out of ideas, but sometimes it is best to let the economy heal itself. In time it will happen, just that it might be a long time.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, people are in shock, or 'hangover' as Bush put it, after the economic collapse, and they are not spending on consumer goods. And with the housing situation, people can't use their houses as ATMs to buy new cars and boats anymore.

Everyone seems to be out of ideas, but sometimes it is best to let the economy heal itself. In time it will happen, just that it might be a long time.

Unfortunatley Obama racked up a $13 trillion deficit before the left came to that realization. So we will simply have to cut spending.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Unfortunatley Obama racked up a $13 trillion deficit before the left came to that realization. So we will simply have to cut spending.
Yea, there was $11 trillion balance on the debt when he took office, but who's counting..... Yes, cuts need to be made, and they could start with bloated military expenditures. To boost international competitiveness they could halve the corporate tax. IMO US should be able to satisfy the imports demand of the emerging economies in Asia and south America, and if they cut the corporate tax, US could knock the Euros out of the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies