Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Requiring Photo ID For Pre Paid Cell Phones Good Or Not?
Yes, The Government And Police Need This Law 31 38.75%
No, It Is a Violation Of Privacy 36 45.00%
Don't Care Either Way 13 16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times

Advertisements

I use them ,as I don't need/use a cell that often,& I don't have a problem w/ it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Sounds like more smoke blowing up our pant legs. If the bad guys can already manufacture high quality fake IDs in minutes, I don't see how this could be more than a waste of time. Wouldn't it be easier to just give the cops a longer leash so they could actually go after the bad guys?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 PM

615 posts, read 545,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
has nothing to do with "freedom" from the government.
The phone companies did a bad thing with prepaid phones that cannot be traced. Are the phone companies going to fix that issue ? No I don't think so.

I would have preferred to see the phone companies belly up and make sure each prepaid phone sold could be traced but since they aren't and crime has been connected to way too many of them, then let the government go do it's thing.
It's the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. We are talking about phones, not a gun. I'm not a criminal, so I shouldn't be treated as one. I think I should be able to own a phone without the government knowing about it, because they only want to know about it so they can keep tabs on us. Lets not make the incompetents job easier for them. Lots of things can be used for criminal reasons, should the government know when we buy a screw driver because it can be used to break into a car? The sad thing is many of the countries we attack to bring freedom to have more personal freedoms then us. You can't even open up a bank account in this country anymore without them wanting your life story.

I forgot to add, what gives the government the right to dictate what private companies can do?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
It's the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. We are talking about phones, not a gun. I'm not a criminal, so I shouldn't be treated as one. I think I should be able to own a phone without the government knowing about it, because they only want to know about it so they can keep tabs on us. Lets not make the incompetents job easier for them. Lots of things can be used for criminal reasons, should the government know when we buy a screw driver because it can be used to break into a car? The sad thing is many of the countries we attack to bring freedom to have more personal freedoms then us. You can't even open up a bank account in this country anymore without them wanting your life story.

I forgot to add, what gives the government the right to dictate what private companies can do?
I am a pharmacist, the government dictates to us what we can do.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
The illegal aliens love being able to talk to other illegals with there being no records. We need to take away any tool they use to skirt around our laws. We dont need illegals talking on any phone here.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Mexico did something similar earlier this year. All cell phones must be registered with a real name/address. The aim is cut down on the rampant use by criminals - including the fake extortion/kidnapping rackets. If a phone is not registered then the phone company must terminate it's service.

All land lines are tied to an address but it's hard to clamp down on technology. There are other options like skype and other internet services that are hard to regulate - and new technologies are in the pipeline.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
the identity of prepaid cell purchasers would be kept private by phone companies in the same way the identities of regular cell and landline phone owners are protected.
So far, no major phone company has objected to the legislation and some say they fully embrace it.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
I don't think it's anything I have a concern about. The airways are publicly owned so I suppose anyone who uses them should be accountable.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
It's pretty much come down to something like, if you want more privacy, use less technology. Pretty sad times we live in, where terrorism can be used for any excuse to erode our liberties. HappyTexas is one of those people that if the government told him to jump off a bridge he'd ask how high

Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
It's the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. We are talking about phones, not a gun.
Criminals use and rely on these types of phones. From drug dealers to terrorists.

Quote:
I'm not a criminal, so I shouldn't be treated as one.
It's not about you.

Quote:
I think I should be able to own a phone without the government knowing about it, because they only want to know about it so they can keep tabs on us.
Because why? You need to lay off the kool-aid. Too much sugar.

Quote:
Lets not make the incompetents job easier for them.
Who are the "incompetents"?

Quote:
Lots of things can be used for criminal reasons, should the government know when we buy a screw driver because it can be used to break into a car? The sad thing is many of the countries we attack to bring freedom to have more personal freedoms then us.

This is your best? A screw driver used to illegally break into a car is a little different than a terrorist using an anonymous cell phone to keep in touch with his cell (not phone). Compare apples to apples. The general public does not purchase a screw driver to break in to anything illegally. You have to wonder why people want anonymous and disposable cell phones given all the plans out there from wireless companies.

Quote:
You can't even open up a bank account in this country anymore without them wanting your life story.
That's something new?

Quote:
When private companies put out a product that could be and is used by criminals to evade authorities or run their illegal activity under the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies