Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Requiring Photo ID For Pre Paid Cell Phones Good Or Not?
Yes, The Government And Police Need This Law 31 38.75%
No, It Is a Violation Of Privacy 36 45.00%
Don't Care Either Way 13 16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

Anytime the government says something is being done that affects our privacy because of terrorists, we need fight against it. They use supposed terrorist "threats" as a false flag to track us and invade our privacy. Remember the Patriot Act? I stand firmly against this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's why I'm proud to call myself a Ron Paul Conservative, not a Sarah Palin/FOX (neo)Conservative. Huge difference between us 2 types. Us Ron Paul types realize that electing the GOP back into power in DC will not solve anything because both parties are deep up to the neck of the New World Order agenda.
I agree 100%. This is why I can not stand Republicans either.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
More likely used by drug dealers and illegals than "terrorists"

Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I say legit. The prepaid is being misused today for criminal use. A price to pay.
If you're legit then you should have no problem showing ID to be recorded.
Anyone that thinks this law is a good idea I have to wonder what their major malfunction is.

Quote:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
Rules By Which A Great Empire May Be Reduced To A Small One
by Benjamin Franklin
Rules by Which a Great Empire May Be Reduced to a Small One, first appeared in The Public Advertiser, September 11, 1773.

Quote:
[A] great Empire, like a great Cake, is most easily diminished at the Edges.
Like great Empires freedoms are most easily diminished at the edges.

Passage of this law won't stop anything.

Do you know how easy it is to forge fake government photo ID's that when printed on good paper and laminated are plenty good enough to fool any store clerk?

Took me all of five minutes to whip that one up. On good paper stock and laminated it probably won't fool many cops for long but it will the great majority of store clerks especially if using it outside of Florida. Like store clerks would really give a damn?

I have access to driver license templates for New Mexico, California, Georgia, New York, Ohio, Illinois and Arizona. Social security cards are so easy it's laughable.

I also have access to passport templates for the USA, Great Britain, Australia, France, China, Mongolia, New Zealand, Canada and all manner of African countries.

Company ID's make me laugh. Find a logo on the internet and make something up really fast.

(In case you are wondering I once was very active busting scams at 419eater.com).

Then there is the reseller business that is about to come up.

Or the prepaid you can buy in Mexico.

All this proposed law does is demonstrate how far out of touch with reality some politicians are.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Why are they monitoring cell phones in the first place? That's a red flag in itself.

I bought a pay as you go cell phone one of the times I became homeless, so my work would have a contact number for me. Not that they ever used it. How is this any sort of crime?

Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Right, phones are only used for crimes, no people get pay as they go phones because they don't want to have a contract or something like that. Your argument is complete hyperbole and childish.
It was probably unintentional on your part, but THAT is funny!

As for pre-paid cell phones, it is an unfortunate fact that criminals and terrorists use these devices in planning and executing their acts. I'm fine with giving up the "freedom" to buy a pre-paid cell phone without showing ID if the requirement to show an ID in any way interferes with the actions of criminals and terrorists.

Hell, I have to show an ID at the pharmacy to get Advil Cold & Sinus. Showing an ID for a pre-paid phone? Something I can do to make it tougher for criminals and terrorists? I'm all for it.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Don't own a cell phone and wouldn't want one if someone else was footing the bill. This law certainly doesn't make the things any more appealing to me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have the right to remain anonymous until there is a reasonable suspicion that I have or am going to commit a crime.

The government should be allowed to know two things, and two things only about its people. When they are born, and when they die. Anything more than that is an invasion of privacy.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
What freedoms are they taking ? Who forces anyone to buy a prepaid cellphone ?
Geeze, some of you people read Big Brother into everything.

Heck the gov't has more info than then need on us with all the electronics and connections we have today.
They are trying to stop the illegal activity that tries to bypass this.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,292 times
So let me understand the right wing on this. It's OK for a terrorist to go to a gun show and buy a gun anonymously. Phones are much to dangerous to be unregistered.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A new law will require you to produce ID at the time of sale for all pre paid cell phones. It is being done to crack down on terrorist. Do you feel this is legit or a violation of your privacy?
Lawmakers seek prepaid cell crackdown, cite terror - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100608/ap_on_hi_te/us_cell_phones_terror - broken link)
That means it has not been required so far? It has always been required over here, already 10 or so years ago when I bought my first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies