Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Requiring Photo ID For Pre Paid Cell Phones Good Or Not?
Yes, The Government And Police Need This Law 31 38.75%
No, It Is a Violation Of Privacy 36 45.00%
Don't Care Either Way 13 16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

I see this getting struck down by some bleeding heart moonbats who will say that it's racism because it might make it harder for an illegal immigrant to get a phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I've been asked for my ID many times when I've bought alcohol whether it's at restaurants or at stores. Do you consider this to be an invasion of privacy?
Do they take down your information or just look at it to 'proof' you?
I would imagine the info will be taken down so it can be attached to the phone.
A bit of a difference there.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I like a good drink. But this is preposterous. YES, we need a drinking age! I would also like to see a lifetime revocation for a DUI.

If you get sued, you will have to prove that you refused service for something other than race, sex, age, etc...an expensive pain in the butt.
I've refused to do do business with people because they were pricks. But that's about it...
The only reason that need be given is your whim. Maybe you had a bad feeling about that person. I've done so with some tax clients too. I suspected them of fraud, and turned them away. I didn't have any proof of fraud, just a sense.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Another feel good useless law. Lets pass something to show the people we care about stomping out terrorism, maybe it will help us get re-elected in November. Anyone heard of faked identification. If you really want to do something about terrorism go after the damn money. You really want to stop terrorism have a couple of Aircraft carrier groups shut down all oil tanker ports in the middle east until The Oil Sheiks shut down support for terrorist groups and produce any wanted terrorists. Oh but that wouldn't be right. Risk vs cost people that is the name of the game.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
This has nothing to do with terrorism, if the government was serious about terrorism we wouldn't have an open Southern Border. There are millions upon millions of illegal aliens who come to the USA daily, and have been doing so for decades now. Any one of them could be tied to a terrorist group, believe me not everyone coming in that way is a hard working Mexican, plenty of them are from other parts of the world. This law is going to be used to make it easier for the powers to be to track law abiding American citizens. Now American citizens will have to give their ID to some cell phone store worker, who are often shady and/or illegal immigrants themselves. Now these workers can use the persons ID for stealing their identity or setting them up to be robbed. The one terrorist was also caught buying supplies to make a bomb at a beauty supply store, now should they make all the old ladies buying beauty supplies to show their ID? This law is absurd, stupid, and inconvenient. It will only make life more difficult for law abiding American citizens, while our inept government continues to allow anyone in the world to illegally cross the Southern Borders.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
I don't like this law at all. I own a prepaid cell phone and I am not a terrorist or a criminal. I had to register my phone in order to activate it. I have owned three prepaid phones in my lifetime from three different companies. Each time I had to register the phone. This is just another way to take away freedoms and invade the privacy of law-abiding citizens.

What makes the government think this is actually going to stop terrorism? The terrorists will now just try to steal cell phones and use those to commit their crimes. Plus, we have a huge open door along the U.S.-Mexico border. Anyone can come and go out of this country as they please. It looks like it would make more sense to secure the border to stop terrorists than to take away the freedom of law-abiding citizens.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I don't like this law at all. I own a prepaid cell phone and I am not a terrorist or a criminal. I had to register my phone in order to activate it. I have owned three prepaid phones in my lifetime from three different companies. Each time I had to register the phone. This is just another way to take away freedoms and invade the privacy of law-abiding citizens.

What makes the government think this is actually going to stop terrorism? The terrorists will now just try to steal cell phones and use those to commit their crimes. Plus, we have a huge open door along the U.S.-Mexico border. Anyone can come and go out of this country as they please. It looks like it would make more sense to secure the border to stop terrorists than to take away the freedom of law-abiding citizens.

When you had a telephone installed in your home did you give the company your name and address? How about your ssn and dob? Did you complain about that also?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The only reason that need be given is your whim. Maybe you had a bad feeling about that person. I've done so with some tax clients too. I suspected them of fraud, and turned them away. I didn't have any proof of fraud, just a sense.
You are incorrect. If they were to sue you for discrimination, you would have to prove the reason why you denied them service. That's the reality of being in business. You can deny on a "whim". But there can be repercussions.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post

What do you mean you had to "register" it? All you have to do is activate it. You can give them any name you want because it is done over the phone itself. You can even do some of them on line.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
When you had a telephone installed in your home did you give the company your name and address? How about your ssn and dob? Did you complain about that also?
That is really a different thing because a phone line at a residence is POST paid so they have to have billing and credit info and of course the physical address to send the telephone man out to turn it on and assign which cable and pair it will be on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies