Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Requiring Photo ID For Pre Paid Cell Phones Good Or Not?
Yes, The Government And Police Need This Law 31 38.75%
No, It Is a Violation Of Privacy 36 45.00%
Don't Care Either Way 13 16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

A new law will require you to produce ID at the time of sale for all pre paid cell phones. It is being done to crack down on terrorist. Do you feel this is legit or a violation of your privacy?
Lawmakers seek prepaid cell crackdown, cite terror - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100608/ap_on_hi_te/us_cell_phones_terror - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I say legit. The prepaid is being misused today for criminal use. A price to pay.
If you're legit then you should have no problem showing ID to be recorded.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Don't like it, but overall say it's legit. Criminal and Terrorist use is rampant and providing ID to purchase is not a burden.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 PM

615 posts, read 545,089 times
I don't like it at all, we continue to lose more and more freedom to the government. They want to invade all aspects of our lives, while those clowns in congress can be as secretive as they want.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I don't like it at all, we continue to lose more and more freedom to the government. They want to invade all aspects of our lives, while those clowns in congress can be as secretive as they want.
has nothing to do with "freedom" from the government.
The phone companies did a bad thing with prepaid phones that cannot be traced. Are the phone companies going to fix that issue ? No I don't think so.

I would have preferred to see the phone companies belly up and make sure each prepaid phone sold could be traced but since they aren't and crime has been connected to way too many of them, then let the government go do it's thing.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
has nothing to do with "freedom" from the government.
The phone companies did a bad thing with prepaid phones that cannot be traced. Are the phone companies going to fix that issue ? No I don't think so.

I would have preferred to see the phone companies belly up and make sure each prepaid phone sold could be traced but since they aren't and crime has been connected to way too many of them, then let the government go do it's thing.

I agree, cars have license plates on them so cops can identify them. I don't think this is an errosion of freedom. Why would being able to identify a cell phone used to commit a crime be burdensome?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A new law will require you to produce ID at the time of sale for all pre paid cell phones. It is being done to crack down on terrorist. Do you feel this is legit or a violation of your privacy?
Lawmakers seek prepaid cell crackdown, cite terror - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100608/ap_on_hi_te/us_cell_phones_terror - broken link)

glad I have 40 of these already, only use them when I need to. it is none of the goverments business what I buy legally and why.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 PM

I only wonder, if this passes, what will happen to the vending machines you see in hotels and airports that sell the phones. Will they turn off the cash function and only allow credit cards to be used? Oh! I forgot but you can go to any Wal*Mart and buy a pre paid credit card with no ID too so I guess that would not work either.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
glad I have 40 of these already, only use them when I need to. it is none of the goverments business what I buy legally and why.
Why do you need 40 phones?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I only wonder, if this passes, what will happen to the vending machines you see in hotels and airports that sell the phones. Will they turn off the cash function and only allow credit cards to be used? Oh! I forgot but you can go to any Wal*Mart and buy a pre paid credit card with no ID too so I guess that would not work either.
Well KevK you pointed out a good loophole. Hopefully they'll ask for a picture ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies