Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfles View Post
Ignoring the fact that the Obama adminstration gave BP a safety award for that particular rig are we? Typical.......
It's very easy to ignore something that never happened in the first place.

What's sad, is that someplace, somebody had to originally make this **** up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Actually the last time BP won a safety award was 2006. And the president has no say on who and what RoSPA gives out.

Like I said, you can thank deregulation and lack of big gubment for this one.
Don't forget the libs' pal and Obama's guy, Ken Salazar, who granted BP a categorical exclusion to allow the Deepwater Horizon to operate without analysis as specified and required by the National Environmental Policy Act. Oh, and that was in 2009 under Obama.

Facts are nasty little things though.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Actually the last time BP won a safety award was 2006. And the president has no say on who and what RoSPA gives out.

Like I said, you can thank deregulation and lack of big gubment for this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

One of you need to provide conclusive proof that no such award was given. I just did a search and the AP is contradicting your assertion that the award is a lie.

Proof please.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

Well considering they were one of 3 finalists for the safety award under Obama, I wouldn't say this is too far a stretch.

http://www.mms.gov/awards/2010.htm

Quote:

The SAFETY Award for Excellence in 4 categories:
High OCS Activity Operator
Moderate OCS Activity Operator
Drilling Contractor
Production Contractor

These awards recognize outstanding safety and pollution prevention performance by the offshore oil and gas industry in four categories. The 2010 SAFE Finalists are:

High OCS Activity
BP Exploration & Production Inc.
Eni US Operating Co.
Exxon Mobil Corp.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Don't forget the libs' pal and Obama's guy, Ken Salazar, who granted BP a categorical exclusion to allow the Deepwater Horizon to operate without analysis as specified and required by the National Environmental Policy Act. Oh, and that was in 2009 under Obama.

Facts are nasty little things though.
So you are in turn admitting deregulation is what led to this tragedy? Well guess which previous president deregulated offshore drilling more than any president ever?

Salazar is a sack of crap, I'll give you that but please don't act like rightwingers have a halo over their heads.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:42 PM

What is this?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Tell that to the 11 workers who died in the gulf as a direct result of W's non-regulatory offshore drilling policies.
Wow, I must have missed something. I thought Obama was president 6 weeks ago, making it HIS offshore drilling policies. He owns this. And if he didn't like the policies, he should have changed them instead of living the rockstar life.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM

De-regulation doves have their hands full if they insist on assuming that RE-Regulation will do anything to change the industry. I'd like to point out that the Airline Deregulation Act is not blamed everytime there's an aircraft accident. So why do some folks insist that deregulation is a major contributor to accidents in other deregulated arenas?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
One of you need to provide conclusive proof that no such award was given. I just did a search and the AP is contradicting your assertion that the award is a lie.

Proof please.
I googled "BP Safety Award" and this is the first thing:

BP Global - Press - BPA (British Pipeline Agency) Awarded RoSPA President̢۪s Award for Occupational Health & Safety

Quote:
Release date: 30 March 2006

BPA, a BP/Shell jv based in Hemel Hempstead UK, has been awarded one of the prestigious Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) President’s Occupational Health & Safety Awards for their 2005 performance. The President’s award is given on achieving 10 successive annual gold awards

David Rawlins, RoSPA Awards Manager said, “BPA have demonstrated how seriously they take health and safety management and are a fine example to many other companies. We would like to see more organisations following their lead by providing a positive example.”

The RoSPA Occupational Health & Safety Awards 2006 are sponsored by NEBOSH (The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health), the leading health and safety professional examining body and are not just about reducing the number of accidents and cases of ill-health at work; they are also about ensuring that organisations have good health and safety management systems in place. They help to reinforce the message that good health and safety is good business and clearly demonstrate an organisation’s commitment to the achievement of high levels of performance in this crucial area
Note the date in bold.

Considering the ridiculousness of the accusation, I'd say the burden is on you to provide proof that Obama awarded BP a safety award.

Quote:
Well considering they were one of 3 finalists for the safety award under Obama, I wouldn't say this is too far a stretch.
Thanks for at least admitting the notion that Obama awarded them something was nothing but a political stone throw.

And Obama has absolutely no say on what companies are awarded for anything in the oil industry.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

What is this?
I don't see Obama's name anywhere on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies