Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 AM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,167,194 times

Advertisements

For $10k, would it be worth a trade up. Right now, I have a 2000 Boxster S, but have been seriously considering moving up to a 2000-2004 911 Convertible.

Will I notice that much of a difference in performance?

Also, in terms of status and perception to the general public, is there much of a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Depends on where you are, in northern California Porsches are a dime a dozen and won't even get oglers at stoplights unless they say Carrera GT on the back. You may notice a difference in performance only if you regularly race on a track. On the average mountain road the Boxster is still one of the best affordable sports cars on the planet.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,331,607 times
At some point, you've got to be satisfied with what you've got, and your car is very good at what it was designed to do. If it were me, I'd keep it, unless a really good deal came along on a 911. The Boxster was also designed, in my opinion, to put the entry point to the brand down a little and get you to move up to the next platform. I think that is working as intended as well.

That drop top will be nice in Tampa :-)

Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
The 2005 and later Boxster S is a real improvement and if you still want a roadster it is the way to go.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The 2005 and later Boxster S is a real improvement and if you still want a roadster it is the way to go.

The 911 is a great car, but the Boxster/Cayman make better argument for fun/$. Instead of an older 911, you can get a newer Boxster S and have a better car imo, plus its a convertible and has good storage.

If you're looking to stand out, get a car with lower production numbers. An older Z8 BMW, Maser, or Aston Martin.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,415,733 times
I've driven many Porsche's, and I prefer the handling of the Boxster to the 911, by far.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM

17,207 posts, read 57,035,276 times
The perceptions of the general public really should not be a concern, most would hardly realize it's a Porsche - Most non-car-people think the M3 is something I created with a body kit, recently a kid asked me if the old Scirocco was a DeLoren ("that car out of Back to the Future"). I'm not making this up. That said Porsche people, who you *should* care what they think, generally give the 911 the highest regard, and for good reason, it's been the gold standard of Porkerly Goodness since, what 1966?

I would say you just have to take a test drive, the 911 should be available for a test drive at several dealers.

You didn't ask, but there may be advantages to waiting till you get to Fla. to purchase, it may be worth checking out what sales tax you would have to pay in each state. I'm not an expert on car financial matters of the east coast - check it out you may save considerable by buying in VA, keeping the car there for a certain amount of time, then bringing it to Fla. and not having to pay Fla. sales tax.

These cars are rust-proofed to the 9's, but offhand I'd still prefer a Florida car to a Virginia car, due to road salt concerns. No doubt most 911's are kept off salted roads but it's still something I would think about.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,863,771 times
Actually I used to work at a Porsche dealer. The used cars we had which had the most problems were the ones which we bought from the Manheim auction in Florida. Seems like they were always higher mileage and always neglected. The PA and local cars were by far in better shape every single time.

Performance... it's a toss-up since you're comparing the 911 cabriolet, specifically. You're talking more HP, but they are a little more flexy and softer edged than their fixed roof companions where the Boxster was designed as an open-roof car from the get-go (but still improved upon by the Cayman).

If you're looking for more performance in an open roof Porsche in that price range I'd be looking at a 987 Boxster (05+). Even the base model is equal or better in performance to the early 986 S; should you step up to the the 987 S its that much better.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,065,636 times
I'd keep the Boxster. I don't find any of the non turbo 911's attractive and the cabriolet is the worst offender.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:03 PM

151 posts, read 525,362 times
I would keep the Boxster. While Porsche perfected the rear-engine configuration with the 911, I like the newer design, mid-engine Boxster more. The 911 does have a higher status than the Boxster (ex. "Porsche with panties" on the Sopranos) among some, but most people won't be able even to tell the difference and most of the rest of others will like both. It won't hurt you to test the 911 and see if you like it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche