Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 12,488 times

Advertisements

My family and I (husband, toddler son, and myself) are relocating from upstate New York as I will be teaching at an elementary school in the Lakewood Park area. We really would like to rent an apartment, and are considering the southern Vero Beach and northern Fort Pierce areas. Portofino Landings apartments in northern Fort Pierce seem really luxurious and the price is reasonable - almost too reasonable. Does anyone have any direct experience with these apartments? They seem almost too good to be true.

I understand that Vero Beach has a laid back, less urban vibe than Fort Pierce, which we are used to and enjoy, but apartments seem to be harder to come by in the southern part of the city. Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing in the way of apartments available in the Lakewood Park/Indrio/Oslo/St. Lucie (not Port St. Lucie)/Sunland Gardens area. Any suggestions of 3-4 bedroom apartments or townhouses near Lakewood Park would also be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM

152 posts, read 465,532 times
Im looking into the same area...not much available...seems like Vero has a wide range of apartments..
Go to Craigs list.....

Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,488 times
I know!! When you look at Craigslist, or this real estate site: Moderator cut: no recommendations or links with under ten posts allowed. it seems like there is so much available, but then you find that 95% of the apartments listed are "income restricted" and many of the gated communities require pre-rental interviews with the new tenants (just plain snobbery, it seems to me), which we are not in a position to do! This is the first time in my life that I have had money in hand to pay someone rent, deposits, etc.. and can't seem to find anyone to take my money! I am hoping it will turn around as July 1st passes and more folks realize that an August 1st move-in date doesn't sound that bad after all. I was advised today to check out the local newspaper, TCPalm.com: Local Treasure Coast, Florida News Delivered Throughout the Day., which I have not yet but will soon. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-25-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Didn't see anything on Craigs list about" income restricted"..what the heck is that?...I'll be looking for a flexable lease, maybe 3 months...I want to buy a home, I don't want a year lease...No gated communities for me...

Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
Income restricted means ...low income housing. You can't make more than a specific amount. Think Section 8.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlexander01 View Post
I know!! When you look at Craigslist, or this real estate site: Moderator cut: no recommendations or links with under ten posts allowed. it seems like there is so much available, but then you find that 95% of the apartments listed are "income restricted" and many of the gated communities require pre-rental interviews with the new tenants (just plain snobbery, it seems to me), which we are not in a position to do! This is the first time in my life that I have had money in hand to pay someone rent, deposits, etc.. and can't seem to find anyone to take my money! I am hoping it will turn around as July 1st passes and more folks realize that an August 1st move-in date doesn't sound that bad after all. I was advised today to check out the local newspaper, TCPalm.com: Local Treasure Coast, Florida News Delivered Throughout the Day., which I have not yet but will soon. Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Homeowner communities are not being snobs, they are trying to make their community a safe place to live. Many do a background check to make sure that nobody with a criminal history lives in their community which I find a huge safety factor, especially for people with children.

Other than that it's simply knowing who lives there and it also keeps those homes that are in foreclosure from being rented out to unsuspecting tenants who would then face being forced out by the foreclosure when all the while paying rent to a bad owner who is not paying their mortgage much less the HOA fees.

AND if you go hunting on Craigslist...be aware that IS the hunting ground for owners in foreclosure, just looking for anyone that will give them money while they pay nothing. Remember.. a lease is a CONTRACT and as a tenant you are obligated to pay that rent even if the owner is in foreclosure.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Oh man...what a mess....thanks for the info....I guess the owner can lie to you and tell you the place is not in forclosure...So if the rentals are through a real estate agency..does that mean you are safe to rent?.....

Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbay View Post
Oh man...what a mess....thanks for the info....I guess the owner can lie to you and tell you the place is not in forclosure...So if the rentals are through a real estate agency..does that mean you are safe to rent?.....

Actually, I am sad to say the answer is no. I have actually caught several Realtors knowingly renting out a house in foreclosure and not tell the tenant.

I am NOT one of them.

Myself, I check on the courthouse web site if I have any kind of thought that something is not right. I also have an addendum to all my leases that the owner has to sign up front saying he is up to date in his HOA/Condo fees, insurance, mortgage, taxes, etc. or the if the house should go to Lis Pendens (start of foreclosure) the tenant has the right to use the last months rent and security and give a 30 days notice to vacate and terminate the lease.

I did a whole thread on that a while back because I was getting so many calls from people crying on the other end of the phone because the sheriff had come knocking on their door and the Landlord was not reponding and keeping their security....etc..

Old 06-29-2010, 06:44 AM

Very good..thankyou for the info....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach