Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 AM

15 posts, read 35,357 times

Advertisements

I live in Pennsylvania and am looking to move my family to the east coast of Florida. I have been trying to do my own research, but I'm not doing so well. I am looking for info about the job market(which I hear isn't so hot), schools, safest towns to live in. We are planning on renting a place first, so we can see if Florida is for us. I would appreciate ANY help on this. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,373,352 times
It helps to reach into yourself and ask some questions like what are you looking for? You mention job market, schools and safety but what about entertainment? Will the beach be enough or do you need concert venues and good shopping as well as good restaurants? We live in Vero Beach and I hear that the schools are good (but I don't know this firsthand), and it's pretty safe. It has the same sucky job market as most small cities in FL. I like to say that Vero is close enough to everything but near nothing. Big city amenities are 90 miles away, either in West Palm Beach or in Orlando. Think about what you and your family like to do for entertainment and what you'd miss if you had to leave it behind.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM

The beach would be plenty for us...we live in the coal regions of Pa and there is nothing here. I am at least 2 hrs away from anything really fun. Well, there are a couple amusement parks about 30 min-an hour away, but they are only open a few months. And the job market is probably not so good alot of places these days. I'm in the nursing field, so I'm hoping to be able to find a job fairly easy. Thanks alot for your input

Old 07-09-2010, 05:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,970 times
St. Lucie West is a great place to live. You are only about 25 minutes
from the beaches. There is hardly any crime here and there is the
Mets Stadium and all that you need right here in St. Lucie West. Yes
the NY Mets have their spring training here. It's right off I 95 so it's
easy to get to other South Florida locations. I have been here 2 years,
moved from Virginia -- no regrets. I'm retired but work part time at
QVC -- also in St. Lucie West. Good Luck. Don't know what your
employment goals are. Margaret Jean

Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,210,003 times
Port St Lucie area has 3 hospitals you can check out. Martin Memorial which has 2 locations and is hoping for a third, Lawnwood which is in Ft Pierce, and St Lucie Medical Center. I had a client Tuesday that was just accepted for a job in Lawnwood and is moving from Maryland. I do not know her specialty. She will be moving to PSL.

As for jobs in general, I don't think you will find anyone has good news anywhere, but that's the entire country.

Crime is extremely low. Things to do, we have plenty. All ages and family friendly!!

Check out getting a job FIRST...then..we'd love to have you!!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks so much We have been submitting resumes and are flying down on the 23rd!! We are so excited!! We will be checking out properties and job hunting...we are keeping our fingers crossed. I hope that everything can fall into place before the end of summer. When do schools start down there? I would prefer to be there for the start of school, so my kids don't feel too uncomfortable being the "new kids" LOL.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:13 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,350,240 times
Look in Sebastian too, it is small city, low crime, nice setting and close to anything you need in Vero. Also there is the intercoastal Indian River community you'll love to visit, very close to beaches..!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM

18 posts, read 72,285 times
For your kids sake, Martin County has grade A schools so consider Palm City, Stuart, Jensen Beach, etc.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 AM

152 posts, read 465,974 times
A job is your first priority...Don't get too exicited about florida until you have a good job...A friend of mine was born and raised in coal country PA..Cheap land ,cheap taxes..no jobs except the mines..or a
service sector job like the electric company....

Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
There are other areas of the east coast of Florida that for whatever reason aren't given a separate forum on City-Data despite being much larger than this forum's geographic area. Brevard County, just to the north of Vero Beach/Sebastian has the cities of Melbourne, Palm Bay and Merritt Island to name a few. There are very inexpensive rents in Palm Bay. Check out the SE and SW sections of Palm Bay, also much of Melbourne and the great small town of Merritt Island. Brevard County has a wide selection of "A" rated schools, plenty of areas with low crime, excellent recreational opportunities/beaches and easy access to Orlando ( 1 hour away). I'm not a real estate agent with an agenda, so feel free to private message me for more information. I love the area and think you will too.

FYI, former Philadelphian here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach