U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 AM

25 posts, read 57,172 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound whiny. We just bought a house in Palm City and it's beautiful here, but my daughter and I are here for the summer and we're finding it really difficult to make friends. People here seem friendly, but it's hard to actually be friends with them. Don't get me wrong...the old guys I play tennis with in the park are great, but they're just there to play tennis. If not for them, I wouldn't have met anyone.

My neighbors are mostly snowbirds, except for the lady next door who scurries into her house if she spots us. I managed to say hi and introduce myself one morning, but she said she had to go to work. Another one was walking her dog about 100 yards ahead of me and my dogs. She kept looking back to see if I was gaining on her and finally ducked into the yard of a vacant house. I didn't think I was that scary.

I joined several social groups on Meetup.com and one looks promising. The others, the "Treasure Coast Rendezvous Group" (NOT a dating group, I'm told) and a photography group have dumped me already because I hadn't been able to attend any of their functions so I hadn't paid their dues yet. That seems hasty.

Ordinarily it wouldn't bother me, but I've really been making an effort lately. I had just emailed a couple of people, a neighbor I met and some high school friends whom I hadn't seen in a long time and hadn't heard back from any of them.

Even my daughter went to a teen thing at the library and the kids wouldn't talk to her, except for the one who went on at length about her peanut allergy. She's going to sailing camp this week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll find someone who will interact with her.

I'm generally a lot more positive than this, but I'm baffled. I have lots of friends at home and a group of girlfriends down in Boca/Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale but I don't understand why it's so hard here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 AM

152 posts, read 428,106 times
You would think with people always moving into a state like Florida they would be seeking friends..Try
the kayaking group..seems like a nice group of people...get into kayaking and get some exercise and meet some new people....

Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM

4,509 posts, read 7,798,061 times
I'm sorry to hear that as most of the time I think it's fairly easy to talk to people, but then again, I talk to strangers easily and some people don't. I would think that people in your own neighborhood realize that you are new and would want to meet you - that's strange.

Maybe try the events at the City Center, the events we have here in Tradition once a month that is all families with plenty of kids, talk to the people in your local Publix like the cashiers and other people and tell them you are new and ask about places and people things to do. Find the local restaurants that are busy ( I remember one small place next to Publix that is always busy with local people) and say something to ..anyone. I noticed in meetup (I used to belong to some) there is a Families of Stuart Playgroup, Treasure Coast Fun and Food meetup with the next meeting on the 22nd in Palm City, a Watersports Group meetup, and more. Jump in with both feet!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM

25 posts, read 57,172 times
Thanks. The Treasure Coast Food & Fun was the promising one. At least they didn't kick me out before they met me. :-) I'm pretty chatty and have made acquaintances but I usually don't have this much trouble "getting in the pipeline."

Old 01-18-2015, 04:10 PM

50 posts, read 66,820 times
Hi All,

Although I appreciate the multicultural Ft Lauderale with it's fast pace I worry that if I end up in a facility or with caregivers that will not speak my language or have any touchstones of American culture. This is very valuable if you become debilitated, are lonely and have diminishing cognition. I am childless and in my 50s and am a home health therapist. I could move anywhere in Florida and I am thinking of Martin county due to more of the population being Anglo than anywhere in SE FL according to the data

Florida White, not Hispanic Population Percentage by County

I am in excellent health but see people that are older than I am, at the end of their life lonely in an assisted living facility with only foriegn caregivers. I do not want a future like this. I lived in rural NC and find Ft Lauderale residents to be suspicious of southerners. I have tried MeetUps and trying to connect with coworkers but the relationship is kept superficial. Smasonnc's experiences I can confirm...it is not her..it is the differences between how open people want to be to others in this culture. I was hoping with more anglos less of the negative reactions I have had to my dialectical differences would be less. Now I am beginning to wonder if moving further north would be the answer or just an expensive venture.

If I move north I will begin to volunteer with various community groups in addition to doing home health therapy. If Smasonnc is so inclined this may be good for her to meet people in an activity with a common focus. Join the Council on Aging or a similar group. Just an idea.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:50 PM

4,509 posts, read 7,798,061 times
HUMMM....you picked up a post from 2010...........

Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 PM

50 posts, read 66,820 times
I think that was the last census data on that..anyone having anything more recent I would like to see it. Thanks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach