Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,708 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, Me and my wife (both 30) are considering a move to PSL for 2 years - precisely in Tradition, since the research center where I would work is next door. Some questions:

1a- Neither of us have a driver license (by choice) - Is it feasible to live and work in Tradition without a car? Now I know there's a (pretty limited) bus service - what about taxis? Do groceries offer to deliver stuff to a home / condo?

1b- Is there a bus service to get to other towns such as West Palm Beach, or farther (the Everglades, Key Largo, etc)?

2- My wife's work involve writing in French (for ad agency - creation of concepts, slogans, etc), so there's pretty dim hope that she'll find directly related to that in PSL. Is anyone aware of jobs in PSL that involve fluency in French? Teacher, or something related?

3- What's the rental market like in Tradition? We would be looking for a simple 2 bedrooms place to live - pool optional but would be nice to have. I heard The Lakes is a nice community, but opinions would be appreciated.

I know our situation is quite unusual - I would never consider moving there permanently, but the offer I got is hard to refuse, so I'm considering my options. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by FiReaNG3L; 09-11-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 AM

122 posts, read 314,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReaNG3L View Post
Hi guys, Me and my wife (both 30) are considering a move to PSL for 2 years - precisely in Tradition, since the research center where I would work is next door. Some questions:

1a- Neither of us have a driver license (by choice) - Is it feasible to live and work in Tradition without a car? Now I know there's a (pretty limited) bus service - what about taxis? Do groceries offer to deliver stuff to a home / condo?

1b- Is there a bus service to get to other towns such as West Palm Beach, or farther (the Everglades, Key Largo, etc)?
I can't answer 2 and 3 but there are only 6 bus routes on the treasurecoastconnector service in PSL. There is no intermodal service down to West Palm Beach. The last northern point of local passenger rail service is Mangonia Park in Palm Beach County and the bus system there only travels to some parts of Jupiter. You would have to take a Greyhound to get down to WPB. Once in WPB, you could connect to the regional rail service which is Tri-rail. It would be possible to function in PSL if you lived along one of the routes but a car is really a necessity north of PBC. You also have to factor in the elements especially during the rainy season and/or periods of extreme heat. Waiting for a bus during those times would not be pleasant. There was a lot of talk of bringing back regional rail service to the entire east coast/seaboard of FL but it hasn't happened. The last time those trains ran were in 1968.

Last edited by exmbdude; 09-13-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 07:41 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
I live in Tradition myself for almost 3 years and love it. You can live here without a car if you like to walk. We have all kinds of stores from grocery to dentist, hair dresser, cleaners, ups store, etc. along with restaurants. There are a number of people who also work for Torrey Pines here already.

There is a local - only - bus that stops at LA Fitness in The Landings part of our shopping area. There is no bus service out of the local area. You would have to find other transportation to West Palm Beach where you can pick up the train for travels further south as far as Miami.

I can't comment on the French question, I don't know.

Rentals in Tradition start normally at $1100 and go up. Don't expect lower than $1000. There are multiple communities within Tradition that have rentals available. A 2 bedroom in The Lakes is normally 1150 to 1200 without a pool. With a pool 1300-1350. if they are available.

Do NOT rent something that has an address of Stephane Way or in The Promenade - those are condo apartments up behind Publix that have Chinese drywall but they do not disclose that to you.

Rentals include lawn maintenance, basic cable and Internet in the majority of our communities. Lawn maintenance is not included at Town Park or The Estates.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM

23 posts, read 65,151 times
Default Tradition

Do NOT rent something that has an address of Stephane Way or in The Promenade - those are condo apartments up behind Publix that have Chinese drywall but they do not disclose that to you

how do you know that the condo's have Chinese drywall?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 AM

because there is a class action lawsuit against the builder/developer over it. It's been in all the papers at various times if you care to do a search. I have also personally been IN many of the units and YES it IS there.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
because there is a class action lawsuit against the builder/developer over it. It's been in all the papers at various times if you care to do a search. I have also personally been IN many of the units and YES it IS there.

Oh I do believe you.....
I am a widow and 65 yrs old I am looking to find a condo under $50,000. in a nice complex.....do you know of any? also what would the builder have to do if he looses this class action? replace it all?....they look so nice...I'm really disappointed about it.....any help would be appricated...you seem to know your stuff....

Old 01-01-2011, 04:43 PM

I just looked to see what was available in your price range.. not a lot, but, there are a couple of condo at The Belmont off St Lucie West Blvd for sale which would put you within easy driving, and or walking distance to all the shopping and grocery stores in the immediate area as well as I95. Granted, there are a lot of rentals in this community but the convenience factor is great.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I just looked to see what was available in your price range.. not a lot, but, there are a couple of condo at The Belmont off St Lucie West Blvd for sale which would put you within easy driving, and or walking distance to all the shopping and grocery stores in the immediate area as well as I95. Granted, there are a lot of rentals in this community but the convenience factor is great.

That was so nice of you.....i just googled it and it looks nice....I now live in NC.....selling my house....I use to live down in Coconut Creek/Deerfield Bch Fl....had a house.....but its just me and i just want to move back into a small 1 maybe 2 bedroom condo....since I live on SS my budget is very low.....so I will be looking for a bargin.....I have just started looking into this area....and I am going to keep reading your posts....and will be going down there some time this year to look around ...I will be looking you up if you don't mind....I like your honesty! I am also going to reseach more into the Belmont.....thank you so much!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM

what part of NC?? I used to live in Winston-Salem I'll be glad to send you what ever info you want..

Old 01-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Too funny!!! I live in Clemmons......
and yes I would love any info you have!...

Last edited by 50teeslady; 01-01-2011 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach