Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM

22 posts, read 160,751 times

Advertisements

Hello my boss has family who lives in Port St. Lucie, Fl and he told me that the town is really nice. I researched it on the net and I have fallen in love with it. I am thinking of relocating from England and Port St. Lucie sounds like the ideal place.
Can anybody tell me about Port St. Lucie or the surrounding areas please. I would also like like to know the bad areas and places to keep out of.
Thanks,
Leelee

Old 08-20-2006, 05:35 PM

150 posts, read 706,315 times
Go to search and enter Port Saint Lucie.There are many recent discussions.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:43 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
There are no bad places in Port St. Lucie. Really, it's true. The whole town is pretty much the same. There are some pockets that are even nicer, and some gated communities, one of which (Tesoro) has condos starting at about $1 Million and house from around $3 Million and up. But, most of the 151,000+ people live in nice, middle class housing -- regardless of race, creed or color. There is no difference, and no special neighborhoods for different folks.

Look up at the middle of the menu line above this page for the word "Search". Click it, then type "Port St. Lucie" into the blank. You will be rewarded with dozens of messages by me and a host of others folks, most good, a few not so good, but consider that the "not so good" ones are generally from folks who are negative about everything (there's a few of them on this forum ).

If you have any questions after reading all those, post another message and I'll do my best.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:28 PM

26 posts, read 45,951 times
Leelee, I live about an hour south of Port St. Lucie, but have been there countless times. It is a nice, middle class town, with basically a mix of all kinds of different people. When it was first being built, I didn't care for the area, but it has really turned well. In fact, my former next door neighbors were transferred there, and they love it.

The city planners and leaders seems to have a firm grasp on the amazing growth going on in the city. There are plans for a new downtown area, and numerous road improvements in the works.

The only part of St. Lucie County I'd steer clear of is Fort Pierce, a few miles north of Port St. Lucie.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM

44 posts, read 221,183 times
I am planning temp move to PSL in Oct.....what is wrong w/Fort Pierce?

Old 08-21-2006, 05:42 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
Folks that still think Fort Pierce is the pits are living in the past -- the city has enjoyed an incredible resaissance. The waterfront park is fantastic, the marina area is beautiful, the library is just a couple of years old, the entire 2nd Street area has been rebuilt, there are interesting restaurants, the Sunrise Theater has just undergone a multi-million dollar remodel and is now presenting world-class shows (it was once the largest movie theater between Jacksonville and Miami, and at 1200 seats is still a great location for live performances), there is great jazz -- Fort Pierce is a "happening" town.

However -- it is also a traditional Southern city. Unlike Port St. Lucie, which has no "sections" or "areas", Fort Pierce has an area in the NW section of the city which is home to many economically disadvantaged folks. Despite the best efforts of the city, there are still drugs and prostitution in that area. In this regard, however, it really isn't any different than most cities.

There was a time, over 35 years ago, when the schools were segregated and the "Good Ol' Boys" ran the city. Once again, that was typical of most of the South at that time. Fort Pierce may have started to work itself out of that era a little later than many other cities, but it is a different city, today.

We regularly shop and dine in Fort Pierce, as well as attend concerts at the Sunrise Theater and the Indian River Community College Peforming Arts Center. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a property in Fort Pierce, but like most older towns, I'd pick the area. There are some spectacular older homes in the SW section of Fort Pierce. They actually have organized a several-block square area where the homes are opened each year to see Christmas decorations. Yet, they are not the mansions of the super rich -- just nice, older homes, nicely decorated and loving cared for.

Speaking of Christmas, how many remember the Budweiser TV ad last year showing the house that had computerized Xmas lights playing to the rock music? Fort Pierce decorated the entire waterfront park with thousands of those computerized lights, hooked up massive speakers and had a spectacular light show to Xmas music by Mannheim Steamroller. You could walk around the park within the lights and have them dancing all around you. It was incredible.

Fort Pierce is definitely making the effort, and doesn't deserve the rap it gets from folks who have probably never been there, at least not recently.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:18 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,682 times
I agree! I love down town Fort Pierce, it is such a cute down town area, and of course just about any city no matter where it is has a bad area to it. Fort Pierce has some great beaches, a great little marine life aquarium place (I can't think of the name of it, but it was great), it's free on {i think} Tuesdays and we took my parents there when they were down visiting and it was great, we loved it. There's also some great little restaurants.

I think driving through the area, you'd be able to tell the less desirable areas to live just by seeing them or you can look at the newspaper where the local crimes are reported and see the areas that do have the drug problems etc.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 AM

22 posts, read 160,751 times
Hi everybody, thanks for replying to my forum, it has really helped and me and my family are going to look into transfering there. Thanks for all of your help, Leelee

Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 PM

421 posts, read 468,972 times
Default Psl

I agree with Oldtimer...there's really no bad areas here...but i disagree about FT Pierce...there's alot of bad areas there...Orange Ave is always in the news.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
There are no bad places in Port St. Lucie. Really, it's true. The whole town is pretty much the same. There are some pockets that are even nicer, and some gated communities, one of which (Tesoro) has condos starting at about $1 Million and house from around $3 Million and up.

May I mention this? 6 months ago, I saw an AD for Tesoro in the newspaper! Is Tesoro oceanfront or intracostal? There has to be alot of special things when the cheapest house is 1.7m for ~2500 square foot! The bigger houses can be 3-5 million!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach